Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One saw plan a 60, echo 590. Most cut for the buck.
the 590 is good... but I'd go for a used 6400/6401. If the saw ever breaks or locks up you can swap the top end from 64 cc to 79-84cc and run a 24-32" bar all day long.

Over kill is underrated
- Doug

As for used chainsaws to look for.
346/350/353/550 husky
026/036/034 stihl
111/115/520/540 dolmar/makita (predecessor to 510)

a little oversized but usually within your price range...
6400/6401/6421 dolmar/makita 64cc runs 18-24" bar

I just rebuilt a Husky 350....nice saw. seems to pull a 20" ok but have not buried it in hard oak yet. Dream to work on as well.

the 590 is good... but I'd go for a used 6400/6401. If the saw ever breaks or locks up you can swap the top end from 64 cc to 79-84cc and run a 24-32" bar all day long.

Over kill is underrated
- Doug

I love it...the OP asked about a 45cc saw and we have him doubled on the first page of the thread.:happybanana:

Hi all, hope this is the right forum for this. I've been doing a lot of research trying to pick a saw, and ArboristSite always seems to have the best info.
I recently bought a house on a few wooded acres and have a few trees to take down and a fair number of downed trees to clean up. Most of this stuff is probably fairly small by the standards of this community, maybe 16"-18", ash and oak. I have about 5 years experience doing hardscaping work where we used an ancient Husqvarna (60cc class I think). I also used a buddy's ms 291 a fair bit for firewood. I'm fairly brand-agnostic, just hoping to hear from everyone what their choice would be.
Right now I'm looking at the Stihl MS 251, the Echo CS-450, the Husqvarna 445, and the Dolmar PS-421/PS-510(depending on price when I can finally find a dealer). Those are just what jumped out at me as commonly recommended in my research. Totally open to any other suggestions, as well as buying used if anyone can point me in the right direction on that.
Hoping to be at ~$350 or below, and really just want to buy the best quality saw I can get for the money.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at this lightly used saw in the trading post. Its a Jonsered 2159, its 60cc (59.9) and will run a 18" bar and chain with authority. They saw is pro quality and in your price range shipped to your door.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsered-2159-359.295124/

Also keep in mind that Makita the power tool company owns Dolmar and has a dealer licence at Home Depot now.
Makita 5121 = Dolmar 510
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-in-50cc-Gas-Farm-Ranch-Chainsaw-DCS5121/205564477

Makita ea4300 = Dolmar 421
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205564477-_-205492077-_-N
This is very interesting. Dolmar's "Dealers" site is pretty much worthless. They make no mention of the home depot relationship either. So those Makita labeled saws are exactly the same as the respective Dolmar ones?

I love it...the OP asked about a 45cc saw and we have him doubled on the first page of the thread.:happybanana:

Yuuuup. It's how I know I'm in good company.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at this lightly used saw in the trading post. Its a Jonsered 2159, its 60cc (59.9) and will run a 18" bar and chain with authority. They saw is pro quality and in your price range shipped to your door.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsered-2159-359.295124/

Thanks for the head's up, I'll definitely keep that one in mind. Pictures look great. Not familiar with the brand, guessing it's more of a commercial grade thing which is always good.

Over kill is underrated
- Doug

My personal motto is "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." That being said, I'm not sure I want to use an 80cc saw for limbing and other general tasks...

Hi all, hope this is the right forum for this. I've been doing a lot of research trying to pick a saw, and ArboristSite always seems to have the best info.
I recently bought a house on a few wooded acres and have a few trees to take down and a fair number of downed trees to clean up. Most of this stuff is probably fairly small by the standards of this community, maybe 16"-18", ash and oak. I have about 5 years experience doing hardscaping work where we used an ancient Husqvarna (60cc class I think). I also used a buddy's ms 291 a fair bit for firewood. I'm fairly brand-agnostic, just hoping to hear from everyone what their choice would be.
Right now I'm looking at the Stihl MS 251, the Echo CS-450, the Husqvarna 445, and the Dolmar PS-421/PS-510(depending on price when I can finally find a dealer). Those are just what jumped out at me as commonly recommended in my research. Totally open to any other suggestions, as well as buying used if anyone can point me in the right direction on that.
Hoping to be at ~$350 or below, and really just want to buy the best quality saw I can get for the money.
Any of the saws you listed will work fine if taken care of. Just pick the best dealer.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll definitely keep that one in mind. Pictures look great. Not familiar with the brand, guessing it's more of a commercial grade thing which is always good.

The Jonsered's are Husqvarna's just in red/black colors (anymore). You can take off the filter cover and look underneath and see the Husky logo. The Jonsered 2159 is the same saw as the Husqvarna 359. They are considered pro quality saws but are intended for part-time forestry use. Which really means that they are slightly de-tuned when compared to their full-time forestry brothers like the 357XP. They only physical difference is some minor internal things that make the XP saw have faster throttle response and slightly more power and higher RPM in the cut. A good 60cc saw is a great one saw plan.

Just a dealer thing.

To make the desision more complicated, check out the Poulan Pro 5020 for ~200$. You won't find more saw for the money! Although I will admit I am a BIG Dolmar as well as Echo fan!

For your needs I see a 50cc saw as top of the line. 60cc with the weight increase is going to be quite annoying for a beginner.

My trip to the Dolmar dealer was a bust, they don't work with the company any more. In fact calling around, 4 of the 5 dealers listed on Dolmar's site as within 30 miles no longer sell or service Dolmar.... starting to rethink my choice of brand. :wtf:
I wonder if HD services since they sell the Makita branded stuff?

My trip to the Dolmar dealer was a bust, they don't work with the company any more. In fact calling around, 4 of the 5 dealers listed on Dolmar's site as within 30 miles no longer sell or service Dolmar.... starting to rethink my choice of brand. :wtf:
I wonder if HD services since they sell the Makita branded stuff?

Hmmm.wasn't aware that home depot services much of anything outside their rental stuff.

Yeah I kinda doubt they would, and I guess even if they did I'd be wary. I guess my choice comes down to ordering a Dolmar online and hoping it doesn't need service often, or buying a different brand more locally. I'll try to check out the Echo stuff today, didn't get a chance the other night.

Im surprised you haven't been blasted with Echo yet. Some people strongly recommend them but I haven't seen much of it in this thread.

Back