saw shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss saw shops that had guys that cared now all i have are just ones that just sell.

just wondering if theres any true saw shops left I remember as a kid up until 20 years ago going in to saw shops that made there own chain loops took links out didn't realy matter what brand of saw you had they could work on them . when you bought a new saw usualy the mechanic sold the saws also took the in the shop gased and oiled them up and cranked them up made sure they were oiling and adjusted the carb as needed and told you to bring it back after 5 tanks of gas to check it. now I see teenage kids selling the saws that don't know anything and they just take it put a little gas and oil in started it and take your name down and that's it also the chains come in prepackaged loops and if you got a odd chain link number your out of luck and if you need a link taken out they just sell a new chain. also I remember buying stihl products that the dealer filled out the 3 part registration card that asked 50 questions and you got a copy kinda like a title to a car.

Bishop's in Perry KS handles a lot of saws, both old and new. WKEND LUMBRJAK knows the owner pretty well, and he goes there on a regular basis. It's an old style saw shop, has been there for generations.

just wondering if theres any true saw shops left I remember as a kid up until 20 years ago going in to saw shops that made there own chain loops took links out didn't realy matter what brand of saw you had they could work on them . when you bought a new saw usualy the mechanic sold the saws also took the in the shop gased and oiled them up and cranked them up made sure they were oiling and adjusted the carb as needed and told you to bring it back after 5 tanks of gas to check it. now I see teenage kids selling the saws that don't know anything and they just take it put a little gas and oil in started it and take your name down and that's it also the chains come in prepackaged loops and if you got a odd chain link number your out of luck and if you need a link taken out they just sell a new chain. also I remember buying stihl products that the dealer filled out the 3 part registration card that asked 50 questions and you got a copy kinda like a title to a car.
My shop does everything you describe other than that triplicate registration card. Stihl saws are registered online now.

Any time I am in eastern Kansas I have to stop at Bishop's in Perry KS your not going to find a better group to deal with. chainsaw willy's in Rapid city SD has treated me well.

Don't necessarily *ass*ume that all "kids" don't know what they are doing. No reason to rant, if you can't find a competent mechanic learn to do the work yourself. Like any other business, a saw shop needs to make money, if the demand is not there they will fail.

A friend of mine owns an IH dealership his dad bought in 1945. He now sells more ATV's, boats and lawn mowers than ag equipment.
My son is 17. He's a great wrench and works on aircraft as his summer job. He'd test out of a Stihl Silver class no problem, but doesn't work on enough stuff other than chainsaws to go to Gold training. The biggest problem we have is guys coming in with 30 year old saws and expecting us to know everything about them. Hell, I was 15 when that saw came out. Their is no way my Stihl department would justify it's own store. It is only 1/30th of my annual sales, but we treat it (as we do every other department) as if it's the only thing we do. Kind of a bunch of little stores within one large store.

Larry Roit in Milligan, NE works out an oversized 3 stall attached garage. He's a paraplegic, so his bench is pretty short, he'll work on anything. He sells Dolmar, Efko, and Poulan. Makes chains off the roll and all small engine work except performance mods. I've mentioned his name to people 50 miles away, and some have heard of him, so he has quite a reputation. I've been going to him for 10 yrs, and still can't get close enough to his skittish great date to pet him. All he does is hides from me and barks. Lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

There was a shop like that here in NE Texas called Hunter Power Saw but the old fellow retired. He would make you up a chain, clean the clutch housing in the parts washer, dress your bar on the bench grinder, and maybe blow out your air screen. He got to the point that he wouldn't repair an old saw I guess because he got stiffed so many times or something. One day I walked in with my Homelite C-51 and he just pointed to the door as if to say, "Get out, I ain't touching that old thing." I sweet talked him into trying to adjust the carb (this was before I got full blown CAD and learned to tune carbs) and the saw ended up shocking the crap out of him. I really thought he might go off on me, but he just yelled, Woooo! It fires real good." The old guy liked me after that and would always help me. I miss that shop.

Hud-son Forestry Equipment. Barneveld NY. Been there forever. I think they'll work on anything that you bring in. May not be able to get parts for the old saws, but they do everything they can. They sell Stihl and make there own saw mills, firewood processors and just about everything else.

Good place to do business with.

I know Iowa isn't the heart of logging country but, Air Cooled Engines of Iowa City, Iowa is as good as you can get around here. Owner been in business about 40 years. Has used about every product Stihl sells. Stihl rep says owner is the best tech in his territory. I know there is a lot of good saws out there, but he is the main reason I run Stihl. Bought my first Stihl 30 years ago from him, 028 Woodboss, still use it too.:chainsaw:

Chainsaw Sales in Bedford Ohio_One man band with an occasional counterman. He makes me loops for my Wildthing without a complaint or harassment! :)

I don't understand how any shop could only stock premade loops of chain. That means they are either loosing a lot of money by not having the chain needed or sending the customer elsewhere. Or they have a massive inventory of chain

Latest posts

Back