Saw Thief

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihldoc

Analog old guy in a digital world
Reaction score
We had an MS440 stolen off our display rack 2 weeks ago by what could possibly be the dumbest saw thief in recent history. I was at lunch and 2 guys came in to get a couple of chains. We had to cut and rivet 1 of the chains we didn't have on the shelf. Our counter guy went over to the shop for 20-30 seconds to get a tech to cut a chain. That's all the time it took for this guy to steal a saw. Unfortunately no one noticed it immediately. The showroom is pretty large and we have lots of saws on display.
Parts guy noticed the saw gone about 2 hours later and asked if anybody sold it. No one had. Oops. Alarm bells started going off. We know almost all our customers and the most likely culprits were the pair of treecutters (as opposed to Arborists) who bought the chains. They had even said how they had a big job to do and were down a saw. Police were called, report taken, model and serial # reported to Stihl as stolen, all the right things were done after the horse had gotten out of the corral.
A few days later we get a call from our town's detective. The saw has been pawned in a town about 70 miles southwest the day following the theft. Pawnshop owner turned in pawn records to the police as required by law. The pawnshop owner has excellent records, video, and the suspect is well known to him from previous dealings. Saw was recovered, suspect has warrant out for him- its only a matter of time before he's picked up. This story will have about as happy an ending as possible- the saw was recovered due to the good work of 2 Virginia town police departments and a dilligent pawnshop owner.
The suspect is well known to the sheriffs where he lives- he was released last year for other crimes and- OOPS- has 4 years of "backup time" he didn't have to serve last time. Now he gets it, along with whatever else he gets from this grand larceny. Virginia has no parole. This moron will be a guest of the State for a while.
What makes him so dumb? He only got $100 in pawn for a 1 day old MS440.

People like him deserve what they get. Too dumb and inconsiderate of others to live in the real world. But, then again, don't ask me, I think vandals, tool thieves, car thieves, and child abusers should all qualify for capital punishment. Not much tolerance here.

Mark

I agree. I think the real unfortunate part of this story is that the tax payers of VA will have to pay around 30k a year to keep this moron fed, clothed, housed, and in the best medical care the State can buy. My father works in corrections and it always amazes me that you have someone in for life and they spend thousands a month on medical care for them when they contract HIV/AIDS. Seems like there has got to be a better way. Maybe like the sheriff in Arizona that makes them do everything for themselves and live in the desert. Sure doesn't seem to make sense that we spend so much money on something with a zero percent return.

4 years eh, thats a good start anyways....

in other news I may be going to jail for driving while suspended without knowledge tommorrow, apparently the town my parents live in florida likes to let the big fish go so they can jail the non violent little fish, like I needed another reason to think this state sucks :laugh:

Would something like this work on child abusers. Heck it would work on theives too. It would make things hard to pick up missin a few fingers.
Bob

I know what I would do with him when ya catch him.......
gun.gif
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Its for dehorning cattle. But it sure would work for removing other things to boot. Soft tissue would be no match to it. Just make some of them criminals short in life.
Later
Bob

People like him deserve what they get. Too dumb and inconsiderate of others to live in the real world. But, then again, don't ask me, I think vandals, tool thieves, car thieves, and child abusers should all qualify for capital punishment. Not much tolerance here.

Mark

Well said...I agree totally.

Well said

Mark
Some one with the same sympathetic attitude towards criminals as I have.

the idiots need to put on a rock gang--for the rest of their life--period--with a guy on a horse--with plenty of firepower--in case the inmate makes a mistake--im with the rest of you--what a cush life the damn criminals have--needs to change--they used to make license plates in iowa--said it was tooo hard on them----!!!!!!!:angry2: :angry2:

That pawn shop have email addy? Maybe a deluge of "we heard what you did; thanks for doing the right thing" emails from this group would help keep him on the right path...

Back