saw troll ahs brought this up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
many times. The 346 has better throttle response than the dolmar. I don't doubt this is true, my 5100 is not real snappy on the throttle but is a good power to weight saw. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas why 2 similar bore and stroke saws would be so different in that respect.

many times. The 346 has better throttle response than the dolmar. I don't doubt this is true, my 5100 is not real snappy on the throttle but is a good power to weight saw. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas why 2 similar bore and stroke saws would be so different in that respect.

So mod the muffler,,port the exhaust,,take the carb limiters off and adjust the carb as it should be.
then let Dolly have orange - juice for lunch..
need more info ?? ask C-town ,,the dolmar Daddy :)

Anyone ever weigh the flywheel and clutch assemblies on those two saws? I'm betting the Dolmar is heavier on both sides. That may explain why stock out the box the 5100 will give the 346 a good whipping in the block but not up in the limbs where snappy throttle responce is nice.

Anyone ever weigh the flywheel and clutch assemblies on those two saws? I'm betting the Dolmar is heavier on both sides. That may explain why stock out the box the 5100 will give the 346 a good whipping in the block but not up in the limbs where snappy throttle responce is nice.
that makes sense Tom, so does port timing but the mass thing seems more likely.Overall weight is close tho so...I donknow...

that makes sense Tom, so does port timing but the mass thing seems more likely.Overall weight is close tho so...I donknow...

I'm sure there are alot of factors, weights just being one. Tolerances in the cylinder and bearings could be factors too. I was watching a show on TV one nite. They were showing a Nascar V8 enigine. It had a wheel bolted onto the front of the crank. With all 8 pistons installed the man could spin that engine like it was nothing. He said fricton must be removed to get every ounce of power out of the engine. Sad part is the motor is good for 500 miles like that..

I'm sure there are alot of factors, weights just being one. Tolerances in the cylinder and bearings could be factors too. I was watching a show on TV one nite. They were showing a Nascar V8 enigine. It had a wheel bolted onto the front of the crank. With all 8 pistons installed the man could spin that engine like it was nothing. He said fricton must be removed to get every ounce of power out of the engine. Sad part is the motor is good for 500 miles like that..

Sorta a 500 mile fuse.....Top Fuelers have a 1000ft fuse.

Hey Tom can you tell me which clutch is which?:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Or by the fact that right below it says:

Attached Images
346Clutch.jpg (18.3 KB, 22 views)
5100 Clutch.JPG (203.9 KB, 22 views)

I wonder????

Sam

To be honest I didn't need to see those. I knew the 346 clutch is very small and lightweight, I have a 346. I also have a 5100. The clutches are nite and day on those saws,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

To be honest I didn't need to see those. I knew the 346 clutch is very small and lightweight, I have a 346. I also have a 5100. The clutches are nite and day on those saws,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I knew you could tell the 2 clutches apart in a split second.
I was joking about it being a hard question.:)

I knew you could tell the 2 clutches apart in a split second.
I was joking about it being a hard question.:)

Now I admit I haven't peeked at the flywheels on them but I'm guessing the 5100 has alittle more meat on it as well?

Latest posts

Back