Score and wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am going to say firewood....lol
yep it looks like firewood to me... dont let anyone tell ya different..

as promised Here is a pic of one of the splits
174245d1298946109-wood2-28-2-jpg

Jeff

THAT looks like maple...

And I've hand split a LOT of maple...
Locust has a very straight grain and will 'spring' apart.
When it's wet, it can be really hard to get a maul into.

red oak!?:dizzy: no way

i have no guess though, the bark looks a bit like ash on some of them, and like sassafras on others:confused:

Good guess on ash.

But I gotta go with linden

I got a call recently to haul away an ash. Goodey, I thought. On closer inspection, we learned it was a linden. No sassafrass here, but probably the firewood equivalnt thereof.

If you have room to stack and store, it's a score for personal heating with more frequent refillings. Just don't try to sell it as premium hardwood to anyone else

I am no pro but due to the thickness and size of grain, definitely oak. Maple that size has much thinner bark. Just my opinion, but seems to mesh with heavy rounds and difficulty splitting. Awesome find!!!

I am no pro but due to the thickness and size of grain, definitely oak. Maple that size has much thinner bark. Just my opinion, but seems to mesh with heavy rounds and difficulty splitting. Awesome find!!!

yup your no pro

I'm stickin with red maple for now. The split pic looks a bit washed out. (lighting wise)

I like the sound of red maple. As heavy as this $hit is I cant see it being basswood. It has some difficulty in splitting.....I do however agree it is firewood, and I will not let anybody tell me different.

Thanks

I like the sound of red maple. As heavy as this $hit is I cant see it being basswood. It has some difficulty in splitting.....I do however agree it is firewood, and I will not let anybody tell me different.

Thanks

That bark doesn't look right from the maples I've cut. I think TomTrees is on to something... Bass would be very heavy when green... Light when dry. Reminds me of Poplar... Let me guess... It's juicy...

thats basswood or some kind of popple. I gotta wonder how many people are burning junk wood and calling it oak. dont be offended I give it away to people like that all the time. If I heated with wood again I would take it to for free.

"Popple"... Now there's a term I haven't heard since my Michigan days! We called it Go-Fer wood, but I kinda liked burning it. You might say it "Got the party started" quick and hot!

"Popple"... Now there's a term I haven't heard since my Michigan days! We called it Go-Fer wood, but I kinda liked burning it. You might say it "Got the party started" quick and hot!

I burnt a lot of popple in my day. especially if I could just take it after work in stove length pieces off the landing. I burn it in my shop if I cut one in the yard, but wont wast my time bringing it home.
It looks like the bark is "stringy" which makes me think it looks like some kind of popple or bass.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X7_RRwmt50Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X7_RRwmt50Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:hmm3grin2orange:

Back