Score! Free MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it had a short but pretty rough life. Came from a dumpster at work. Previously used to cut refractory and carbon block.

Complete saw minus the recoil assembly; brake handle and a few items in the brake band linkage; and B&C. Piston deposited some aluminum on the cylinder with slight scoring. Will see how bad scoring is once I get the aluminum transfer off. Starting tear-down since I have most parts I need for rebuild. I currently have a gap in my saw lineup. I'm going from an 026 to an 088 so this MS460 will be a nice addition. :msp_smile:

IMAG0495_zps453b58aa.jpg

IMAG0498_zps198d10da.jpg

IMAG0497_zps74ed3e8b.jpg

IMAG0496_zps26f03112.jpg

Clutch got hot enough to melt the plastic drum bearing cage, locking the spacer under the E-clip so I had to cut the E-clip off to get the clutch drum off.

IMAG0494_zps731c64ce.jpg

Nice score on a big ole saw. Check that crank out close. The big end of that rod got pretty hot from the looks of it.

refractory, and carbon block? holy ****.. what is this for??? and second.. YOU SUCK! the saw looks like itll clean up nice when all that black crap is taken off!!!

I work at a steel mill. All kinds of nasty stuff around here!

The bearings felt fine but until I see the condition of the seals, I'm not ruling out replacing them as well. I've decided to split the cases so I might as well throw $40 worth of bearings in it for the peace of mind.

I'm guessing the PTO side seal is melted, which is why she leaned out and smoked the P&C. Cleaning the aluminum out with acid now.

I work at a steel mill. All kinds of nasty stuff around here!

The bearings felt fine but until I see the condition of the seals, I'm not ruling out replacing them as well. I've decided to split the cases so I might as well throw $40 worth of bearings in it for the peace of mind.

I'm guessing the PTO side seal is melted, which is why she leaned out and smoked the P&C. Cleaning the aluminum out with acid now.

If you are splitting the cases anyway, and that crank looks like it got hot, don't gamble with it. There are usually good used cranks around for $50-$60. Might as well do it right and it still won't break the bank.....A good 460 brings $600, so it's worth investing some $$.

I'll get the crank truing stand out and check it when it have it out. If it passes, it's going back in.

But then again, I'll decide when I split it.

all i find for free is box store crap id keep the saw i learned along time ago not to get rid of a saw

Damn that sucks ! The only saw I ever got for free was a blown up ms290 that I put a 390 top end on, sure wish I could score a real saw for free...

Last edited:
Acid will clean that cylinder trust me i cleaned my 660 like that. Still has plenty of compression my arm felt it

Yea they flogged on it pretty hard, but not much is beyond repair in my eyes.

After a 30 minute acid treatment, I believe I've got the cylinder cleaned up well enough to put it back on. Going out of town for training next week so I hope I can get it together this weekend...

Latest posts

Back