Scored an 066 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: ***I need a new choke/stop switch lever***
I got the saw all cleaned up and touched up the black highlights. It was very dirty. When I had the covers off I found a few broken fins on the cylinder and the choke-throttle interlock broken. I'm pretty sure the top cover was replaced because it is less faded then the air filter cover. Probably got smashed and broke the fins. After cleaning and sharpening I filled the gas and oil. Made a few test cuts in a 24 inch oak wheel and was amazed at the power. It cuts better than I expected.:clap:

The saw runs and oils great and kicks :censored: a$$!!!:jawdrop:

Here's a few pics of it all cleaned up...........454:cheers:

Wow, that's a nice looking saw, you got a great deal there.:cheers: I'll have $600 into mine before it's s complete saw and even then you can't clean up the white part of the gas tank/handle. By the looks of yours, it was either used very little or only in very clean wood. The color of the white plastic is generally a good age/use indicator and yours looks very bright white.

Right now it seems seized complete parts saws are running around $150 for a 046 to $250 for an 066 on ebay, so a $100 on a running saw would be an amazing deal.

Hi Jacob;
So if a fellow could get a flat top 066 with a poly flywheel that is in running condition dropped off on his doorstep for $100. , would that be a good deal ?
Pioneerguy600

What is a flat 066 and poly fly wheel?? What is so great about it??

Jerry- that's basically stealing it. :)

Its in relatively good shape,with 165-170 lbs comp cold, took four consecutive tests with two different comp testers. Will these saws take a port job and muffler mod well ? I did read a lot of posts about porting and modding on the AS forum but no real positive conclusions . Like most posts and threads they seldom come to conclusion.
Pioneerguy600

What is a flat 066 and poly fly wheel?? What is so great about it??

I know the poly flywheels are lighter than the older aluminum ones, I think generally the poly flywheel is considered more desirable. Maybe more power than the aluminum types?

Fourfivefour, Where are you in the pinebarrens? I'm down in Mullica Twp. I was up in New Lisbon this weekend to buy an air compressor. I took 563 Through Chatsworth. I love that town.

The saws with poly flywheels have bigger crank ends and heavier bearings, possibly a little heavier duty and should be stronger for adding a little extra HP by porting and muffler mod. They do spool up quicker as well.
Pioneerguy600

saw on the kitchen table huh :) saw looks great man. i hope i can get mine cleaned up that well when she comes in. what did you use to clean it?

Yup on the kitchen table, too cold outside. I cleaned it with MKG orange degreaser spray, hot water and brake clean. Then polished it up with lemon furniture polish.

Fourfivefour, Where are you in the pinebarrens? I'm down in Mullica Twp. I was up in New Lisbon this weekend to buy an air compressor. I took 563 Through Chatsworth. I love that town.
I'm in Browns Mills.
I was just down in Egg Harbor City on New Years Day picking up an 028, drove down 563 to get there...................454:cheers:

Yup on the kitchen table, too cold outside. I cleaned it with MKG orange degrease spray, hot water and brake clean. Then polished it up with lemon furniture polish.

I'm in Browns Mills.
I was just down in Egg Harbor City on New Years Day picking up an 028, drove down 563 to get there...................454:cheers:

Nice. I didnt know anyone in Egg Harbor City had a chainsaw. Thought it was all bums and hookers.:laugh: Actuality, that's where I got my 066 From.

FYI,,,

The flat top (Air shrouds) with polymer flywheel saws are the 2nd generation early model {Improved} bigger crank shaft saws,,, the first aluminum flywheel 066 saws had a smaller diameter crankshaft and were prone to breaking,,,,,,,,, the first poly wheel motos have very agressive iginition timing and a more desirable port timing and they ran extremely well especially with a dual port muffler!!!!:clap:

Last edited:
FYI,,,

The flat top (Air shrouds) with polymer flywheel saws are the 2nd generation early model {Improved} bigger crank shaft saws,,, the first aluminum flywheel 066 saws had a smaller diameter crankshaft and were prone to breaking,,,,,,,,, the first poly wheel motos have very agressive iginition timing and a more desirable port timing and they ran extremely well especially with a dual port muffler!!!!:clap:

So it's safe to assume the flat tops don't have the decomp release? I just bought a 066 that is a flat top and has the plastic flywheel and I didn't realize there was many a variations of it. What years are we talking about that these were made?

So it's safe to assume the flat tops don't have the decomp release? I just bought a 066 that is a flat top and has the plastic flywheel and I didn't realize there was many a variations of it. What years are we talking about that these were made?

Yep pre decomp!!!!! andy or JJ would be better at answering the years,,, I just know that the second gen 066's are baddazzzed saws!!!! cause I have one and one spare P/C kit!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back