Scraps to heat the garage this winter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On my job site we have been making a lot of scraps. I decided rather then burn it on site I would bring it home to heat my garage this winter. :) I have another one at work to load up one day next week. It's nice having a Lull at work and a tractor with forks at home. These are 4'x4'x40" tall.
FiYob0Gl.jpg

R9kw6grl.jpg

Better than nothing. Only drawback is that pine, if it’s pine, will burn quick.

My Dad works at the mill that makes the Advantech/ZIP OSB. Been there ~35 years.

They go through about 600 cords of wood a day.

Not pine but spruce, fir and hemlock but still free :numberone:
Side note: I only heat the garage when I'm out there so quick hot fire is good.
tVv0odtl.jpg

They have changed the Advantec over the last few years, it's garbage now and the Zip wall OSB is thinner than ever, I'm not a big fan.
600 cords is a lot of wood! LOL

On my job site we have been making a lot of scraps. I decided rather then burn it on site I would bring it home to heat my garage this winter. :) I have another one at work to load up one day next week. It's nice having a Lull at work and a tractor with forks at home. These are 4'x4'x40" tall.
FiYob0Gl.jpg

R9kw6grl.jpg
Reminds me of the carpenter I hired to build my last house. Everyday, his helper would load up all the scrap to haul home to burn. I had to put a stop to that, they need a 2ft 2x4 for blocking the helper would grap a 8ft board, saw two ft off and throw the 6ft piece in his scrap pile. Next 2 ft piece they needed he would grab another 8ft board and make another 6ft piece of scrap. I couldnt afford to let that type of stuff go on long.

I've heard the stories, we save anything over a foot long, this is mostly rafter tail cut offs (big house)
The scraps we save will be used for blocking in the kitchen and baths and stair ways.
By nature I'm not a wasteful person.

I use all of the pine cut offs I can find. I have to start a new fire every night in the shop when I get home from work. These nice dry pine cut offs work great for building a top down fire. They catch fire fast burn hard and are more then enough to get the regular spits below burning good.

Latest posts

Back