Screwdriver question, one of life's unexplainable mysteries.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspakland

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
Why is it, when I am working on a chainsaw, or anything else for that matter, and I open the screwdriver drawer in my tool box, I get the following result:
When needing a flat blade screwdriver, I can only find phillips.
And when looking for a phillips, all I can find is a flat blade.
And invariably, for either application, finding the correct size tip takes a lot of looking.

The hint is in the word "drawer". Fill it up. Lots of screwdrivers. You have enough screwdrivers when, on average, you always find what you want when you open the drawer. Of course, this means that when you round up all of the screwdrivers in the garage, you can't close the drawer. Such is life.

These are the best damn screwdrivers there are:

http://www.wiha.com/england/Onlineshop/Screwdrivers2/5520-Wiha-MicroFinish-Slotted

on that note

What happens to the right hand work gloves?
I am right handed, have plenty of left gloves waiting for a match;
same as tools, the good ones walk away leaving the junk behind.

I think they should start calling flathead screw drivers Murphy screwdrivers.

When you need a "Murphy screwdriver" and can only find a Phillips...that's Phillips law.

When you need a phillips and can only find one with a flat head - that's Murphey's Law.

At least that's what I chalk it up to.

The hint is in the word "drawer". Fill it up. Lots of screwdrivers. You have enough screwdrivers when, on average, you always find what you want when you open the drawer. Of course, this means that when you round up all of the screwdrivers in the garage, you can't close the drawer. Such is life.

Actually, I have two drawers. One for phillips, one for slotted. (And there's even another for torx.) Each of 'em have a dozen or so from various sets over the years, and I can almost always find one of the right size. That doesn't mean my favorites are in there when I want 'em, but at least I can keep the projects moving.

Actually, I have two drawers. One for phillips, one for slotted. (And there's even another for torx.) Each of 'em have a dozen or so from various sets over the years, and I can almost always find one of the right size. That doesn't mean my favorites are in there when I want 'em, but at least I can keep the projects moving.
Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.
I need more drawers.
It's also a PITA having all my wrenches (standard and metric, small to large and extra large) all in one drawer.

My screwdrivers live not in a drawer but rather in racks that stand out horizontally from pegboard on the wall. They are at just above eye level so I see the tips and can choose the one I need at the first pick. This is how I store my files also, except that the file racks are lower so I can read the file size which I write in white on the ends of the handles.

is it, when I am working on a chainsaw, or anything else for that matter, and I open the screwdriver drawer in my tool box, I get the following result:
And invariably, for

do you have kids? look in the sandbox.

one young one calls them 'plus' and 'minus' screwdrivers the plus look like + and the minus look like -

I am very careful to separate the good screw drivers from the old chisel/pry/paint can openers.

Why is it, when I am working on a chainsaw, or anything else for that matter, and I open the screwdriver drawer in my tool box, I get the following result:
And invariably, for either application, finding the correct size tip takes a lot of looking.

Aint that the truth!!!! I must have between 25 and 30 of both and can never find the right one when I want it.

I also have the same problem as CGC4200. Never a right glove when I want one, or it is a piece of crap and the left is perfect. JR

No Screwdrivers!!!!

Now my secret is out!! You have found out why I have mostly older Jreds. The entire saw is disassembled and reassembled with two allen wrenches and the scrench!!! The only screwdriver you need is to adjust the H&L, idle and the same one will also disassemble the carb. Wonderful concept IMHO!!:cheers:

How about this idea: Screwdriver of the week

Every week, two new screwdrivers arrive in the mail. Then after two or three years, you shouldn't have this problem again. (for a week or two) :hmm3grin2orange:

This is why I always smile reassuringly when people think I'm insane for owning more than 50 screwdrivers, many of equal kind and size. I don't know who said "always make sure you have the right tool for the job" first, but I do find that to be true. And it also means owning a lot of tools is good. I therefore do.

The conclusion is that constantly buying more and more tools is not about being neurotic, but rather about wanting to be prepared for every eventuality and about wanting to do a job; any job, as well as one possibly can.

Yes, I am an academic. Which doesn't mean I can give proof of what I say, but that I can argue well and convincingly for it. You may quote me. And yes, the same goes for spate parts of course. No one is acting irrationally for, say, buying a piston and cylinder kit for a saw they just bought. When you need it, you'll have it. Or someone else who inherits your things will have it. I may be a novice at chainsaws, but not at tools, parts and wrenching.

How about this idea: Screwdriver of the week

Every week, two new screwdrivers arrive in the mail. Then after two or three years, you shouldn't have this problem again. (for a week or two) :hmm3grin2orange:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

This idea just might have merit.

However, there's no more room in my screwdriver drawer for any new additions.

1) 3/8 Snapon hand/hammer impact set.

2) Add long/extension bits, torx bits as needed, maybe some square bits for those damm carpentry screws

3) 3, 6 and 12 " 3/8 extensions, speed driver, and hand driver.

4) Assuming you have a 3/8 socket set already.......

5) 30 cal ammo can to hold all but your 3/8 socket set

P.S. I forgot the micro/gunsmithing set, and the f......

Last edited:
That is my fathers garage in a nutshell. You can find everything except what you need. Evan though you just saw it ten minutes ago looking for something else you couldnt find. Growing up with that( and yes as I child I helped lose the tools) I have vowed not to have that problem. So my tool box has everything neatly spaced, sized visable, and in its tray or holder if it came with one. I got Snap on screw drivers that came in a plastic tray so that I can find the one I need at a glance. Now my work bench is another story. Im lucky if I can find something I just set down.

4661422927_24f86c38e7_b.jpg

Back