Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get those saws ported by a good builder , and laugh at the low rakers šŸ‘
The locust especially the honey and black is the stuff Pete calls, "the **** that wins"
View attachment 1061332
I tend to agree but old yellow pine will put a load on your saw in the summer when it's wet like nothing else when you go at it with chain setups for dry hardwoods. It might go at first but that bark does its damage here in the South. To the north has different terrain and soils. Mostly rock and clay up in Warren County. South of Lakehurst and the pines is all sand like beaches, powder fine. It's the worst in wind row black oak. The chain looks like your cutting metal constantly. You see it clearly near dusk bright while sparks coming out of the cut.
[/QUOTE]

The syp that was used on my 1924 house is the hardest old growth I have ever dealt with. Nails will bend, screw head will snap, rotozip bits shear, and saw blades smoke. Itā€™s amazing stuff.

I wantta see that 660 modified with a buried 42ā€ bar you spoke about, pouring waste. šŸ˜†
Ok. Standby for my 660 clone with a 42ā€ noodling wood wasteā€¦.

The locust especially the honey and black is the stuff Pete calls, "the **** that wins"
View attachment 1061332
I tend to agree but old yellow pine will put a load on your saw in the summer when it's wet like nothing else when you go at it with chain setups for dry hardwoods. It might go at first but that bark does its damage here in the South. To the north has different terrain and soils. Mostly rock and clay up in Warren County. South of Lakehurst and the pines is all sand like beaches, powder fine. It's the worst in wind row black oak. The chain looks like your cutting metal constantly. You see it clearly near dusk bright while sparks coming out of the cut.

The syp that was used on my 1924 house is the hardest old growth I have ever dealt with. Nails will bend, screw head will snap, rotozip bits shear, and saw blades smoke. Itā€™s amazing stuff.

[/QUOTE]
What is syp? I've seen seasoned rough cut old growth Sitka Spruce 2x6 bend many a 16 penny nail! Many! Even with a cat's paw or nail puller you ain't pulling one out that has been drove in to the head. You'll rip the head off first before it even starts
to pull.

Most definitely. They are literally cannibals. In the Spring. A big boar will kill and eat any cub or cubs he can. Even his own!! Also any younger male he can if he gets the chance.

The older ones can have multiple extremely painful abscessed teeth and carry them for years! Eventually leading to infection and death.

The animal lives a very rough and tough life, can live to be over 30 and are not an animal to be taken lightly by any means!
:lol: šŸ‘ ! cuddly, they are not!!

only into book 15 pages, it started on page 5... and toothless bears have been mentioned 3 times at least... and a couple guestimated to be over 30! one or tow over 2400#s pre-hibernation

hard to tell, the author quips... one don't test, only when dead. then count the rings...

just like a tree...

count the rings in tooth!

ahh-h, arent bears so cute and cuddly....?

1677516372470.png

Southern yellow pine

Good morning guys. The coffee is flowing freely here as I had kind of a rough night of sleep. The dogs freaked out at five in the morning because a deer walked up on the deck to raid the birdfeeder. Lol.

Weā€™ve got freezing rain, then turning to sleet and snow today. Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have too far to travel.

I hear what you guys are saying but I think you underestimate how important air/fuel mix is, and if it does not happen out of the carb it may not happen.

It is basically how GM kept 2 valve pushrod engines meeting emissions ... they re-designed the intake, head and combustion chamber to get a good mix.

Makes a big difference in power and efficiency.
That's 4 stroke. Different animal with induction. Much more important in a 4 stroke that you get good fuel air mix and atomization as it doesn't get much time in the combustion chamber for the fuel to turn to vapor, where's a 2 stroke should have all the fuel vaporized in the crankcase (which also sees higher temps then the intake runner or a 4 stroke) before entering the combustion chamber. Also due to the rotation of the crank and transfer shape I doubt you'll get the air and fuel to mix any better. It basically going through a blender before it hits the combustion chamber. The intake just doesn't play as important of a role as it does in a 4 stroke for fuel mixing.

honesty of a man's persoanl integrity... prob more so a rural vs urban issue... especially down here! but to be honest, i would rather see the boy steal the entire 1/4+ cord... than what happened to one family other day down here. another wrong house event!!! :rolleyes: man get's šŸ’©-faced drunk... and has an issue with barking dogs. but not where he went to visit... so he shoots up the house!!! but they don't have any dogs! 46 bullet holes thru the walls, doors windows and garage. arrived with an arsenal of weapons.... and entire family is inside the home. no one hit! šŸ¤žthe cops hauled in the perp. Felony Assault with Deadly Weapon(s) is the charge....

šŸ‘
the news here is usually pretty bad! daily basis. yesterday a 45 yr old woman died! shot to death! at a hamburger drive in. Sonic drive-in. some how, both vehicles got into an argument... and then the lead started flying! woman wrong place, wrong time. the news showed the bullet holes and can see the path and dents facing to the interior of car. then they showed the driver's side... and the door looked like other side of an empty beer can after some .22 plinking...
1677517841515.png

the news here is usually pretty bad! daily basis. yesterday a 45 yr old woman died! shot to death! at a hamburger drive in. Arctic O. some how, both vehicles got into an argument... and then the lead started flying! woman wrong place, wrong time. the news showed the bullet holes and can see the path and dents facing to the interior of car. then they showed the driver's side... and the door looked like other side of an empty beer can after some .22 plinking...
View attachment 1061480
People are really unhinged nowadaysā€¦..

I'd separate and multi quote more specifically, but screw that on my phone, so sorry about the huge MQ.
Besides if you guys would slow down a bit I wouldn't have to respond as much šŸ˜‰.
Seasoned Ash, Oak, Locust or Hard Maple (Sugar or Black) will all give your saw a good workout.

Black Walnut, Red Maple, Silver Maple etc. are on the soft side for hardwoods.

But, IMO, the hardest wood to cut (around here) is Shag Bark Hickory. It may not be as hard as Black Locust, but the grain is much tougher to cut and it will really slow your saws down.
Exactly.
I was working out back yesterday and cutting a small(2.5") silver maple that was near a black locust, i tapped it a couple times with the bar/chain, and it was bouncing around (the bar/chain ), then i realized it was hickory lol.
Chipper, was that saw built by John in PA? If so, I ran it right after it was built at a CT GTG and was very impressed with it.
That's the one. Bad saw for sure.
I don't pay much attention to cutter length and I've never noticed my hand sharpened chains vibrating more than they did out of the box. With that being said, I don't spend a lot of time sweatin' the small stuff, and maybe mine vibrate more than I notice.;););)
You must run huskys :p.
High humidity? I doubt it's icing, but I could be wrong.

Madrone is probably the hardest wood I've cut, once it dries out, it's really tough.

I've spent a lot of time cutting fire-killed oaks...normally oak isn't super tough, but once it's dead standing for 5 years and all sun-bleached...some of it's much harder than even my seasoned firewood oak.
Oak is a joke, unless we're talking about a large old dead standing beast(small print; I've never cut Live Oak, but heard it's hard too).
What height are your rakers set at? Low rakers can make it grabby and/or chattery. Especially on smaller powerheads.
If I get the rakers a little low or I change from cutting softwoods/softer wood, I hit the cutters with larger file a few strokes.
Ever work with any Apitong? Hardest wood I've ever come across! Oak ain't got s**t on Apitong as far as density.
Wow, you guys really screwed that quote up.
Never cut it, but I think red oak is a pretty soft wood compared to the black locust and white oak.

Weā€™ve cut some long dead, very dry oak that just fell, while clearing trails and roads for the Forest Service. We all thought our chains were super dull, putting on a fresh chain didnā€™t change anything. It was the same.
:laugh:
Pics with an overload of PA oak Art. Not that lightweight ,wimpy pine or spruce we see sometimes. :laughing: :buttkick:
That what I'm saying ;).
Also, it takes more than just a port job to hop a saw up another class in poweršŸ‘
Do what, what are you talking about, you got NOS on your saws.
To a large degree, your body is what you put in it.
That's a primary reason I won't use Chinese parts :oops:.

I'd separate and multi quote more specifically, but screw that on my phone, so sorry about the huge MQ.
Besides if you guys would slow down a bit I wouldn't have to respond as much šŸ˜‰.

Exactly.
I was working out back yesterday and cutting a small(2.5") silver maple that was near a black locust, i tapped it a couple times with the bar/chain, and it was bouncing around (the bar/chain ), then i realized it was hickory lol.

That's the one. Bad saw for sure.

You must run huskys :p.

Oak is a joke, unless we're talking about a large old dead standing beast(small print; I've never cut Live Oak, but heard it's hard too).

If I get the rakers a little low or I change from cutting softwoods/softer wood, I hit the cutters with larger file a few strokes.

Wow, you guys really screwed that quote up.
Never cut it, but I think red oak is a pretty soft wood compared to the black locust and white oak.

:laugh:

That what I'm saying ;).

Do what, what are you talking about, you got NOS on your saws.

That's a primary reason I won't use Chinese parts :oops:.
thanks for the mulit-quote primer, chipper! at least i know how its done by a pro.... lol ;)

>That's a primary reason I won't use Chinese parts .

i took FS's and kb's advice and hunted me down some Awesome degreaser day before. $ Tree. and happned on bldg nxt door was a ( - - ) Diner! thot i'd ck it out. dont like parts, but do like their grub. dingy lil place. thot i'd just do a lookie-lou... and then had lunch! yum big sign out front.... Free Soda!

so i got steamed broc - solly, no free soda
and ckn wings... solly, no free soda
and ckn/veg soup... solly, no free soda... only meals

meals $8.99, i spent $11.00 but no free soda!

( - - )!!! cheap parts and cheap a** joints n diners, too.... well, imo

but ... good grits! i plan to return

1677519537448.png

When I dropped in to do my good morning post I saw that BL had just posted a couple of times. Knowing there would be at least a half dozen more coming, I typed it out and posted it an hour later so it didn't get buried lol.

Holy heck I started a new job and 71 pages behind šŸ˜³ did @Kodiak Kid get his skid steer all set up? Glad to see @Cowboy254 with some firewood action. Now on my days off I will try and catch up. If any skid steer action please mention me in a post so I can go right to it thanks fellas. I'm on midnights 12.5 hr shifts plus 40+min drive each way. 545pm-615am so not much time in the day between work driving and sleep.

Holy heck I started a new job and 71 pages behind šŸ˜³ did @Kodiak Kid get his skid steer all set up? Glad to see @Cowboy254 with some firewood action. Now on my days off I will try and catch up. If any skid steer action please mention me in a post so I can go right to it thanks fellas. I'm on midnights 12.5 hr shifts plus 40+min drive each way. 545pm-615am so not much time in the day between work driving and sleep.
20230222_171711.jpg20230222_171648.jpg20230222_163148.jpg20230222_163123.jpg

Latest posts

Back