Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No scrounged wood for me this weekend :(
I've got to whittle down the sellin wood pile a bit more yet .
I ran the Japa this afternoon , had to make a cord of 12" for a customer .
I've got to get the conveyor sorted and hooked up soon .

IMG_20150926_164611.jpg

The Japa will come in handy for the scrounging wood , Jerry and I have a couple cord of 4" to 6" spruce poles that we cut this spring just stacked and waiting :)

20150926_113345.jpg 20150926_113347.jpg 20150926_113404.jpg 20150926_142800.jpg 20150926_142816.jpg 20150926_182649.jpg 20150926_182658.jpg 20150926_182710.jpg 20150926_182726.jpg

Managed to get myself into a pretty good scrounge at a relatives house today. A great big blow over White Oak. Worked all day on it, and didn't get it finished. Probably gonna have to wait til next weekend to polish it off. Was able to let the big-bore Makita eat today. She don't see a lot of service around here, but when her number is called, she shines.

So seriously though........What the heck are these sore muscles that I haven't used since last year. Owwww....

:hi:

View attachment 449794 View attachment 449795 View attachment 449797 View attachment 449798 View attachment 449799 View attachment 449800 View attachment 449801 View attachment 449802 View attachment 449803

Managed to get myself into a pretty good scrounge at a relatives house today. A great big blow over White Oak. Worked all day on it, and didn't get it finished. Probably gonna have to wait til next weekend to polish it off. Was able to let the big-bore Makita eat today. She don't see a lot of service around here, but when her number is called, she shines.

So seriously though........What the heck are these sore muscles that I haven't used since last year. Owwww....

:hi:
Damn...what a tree. Two thumbs up my man. That's some wood there.

The temp hit 40 degF Sat. nite, house was getting cold. fired up the Ol' Smoke Dragon. Burned a pile junk Pine, got the house toastie warm. Preview of things to come.
With the new door gaskets, it acted like a different stove, Almost like it was when new.
When I went down into the basement to lite the beast, I noticed the floor was wet.
Located the leak. $565 later I had a new hot water heater. #1 Son and his buddy had the new heater installed in a couple hours, left the mess for me to clean up.
I did help with the plumbing, I can make solder run up hill.
I did get 14 years out of a 12 year heater. If I get that long out of the new heater, I won't be worying about replacing it.
Burned a couple wheelbarrow load of uglies. making room for the good stuff. I was gonna drop a small dead Maple. but the best laid plans.
CUL. FREDM

Well , I'm on the disabled list for a short bit , I was fishing out some small logs from the sellin logpile and had a 18"x8' hardmaple come down on the tip of my middle finger smashing on another , sparing the gore it got the tip mushed real good and got the tendon/nerve at the tip , after a trip to emerge and a consult with the doc , the best option for me was to shorten it up by 1 knuckle so the job was done .
Lesson is don't get the woodpile stacked so high and pay attention , I was concerned with logs rolling on me , not thinking about other situations .
It hurt less than I thot , the hand freezing hurt more LOL
I told the kids I was gonna glue a hotdog on the tip and dare kids to pull my finger for Halloween , the wife didn't think it was funny .
I'll be back to scrounging in a week or so , no worse than a broken rib , trigger finger works fine .

Well , I'm on the disabled list for a short bit , I was fishing out some small logs from the sellin logpile and had a 18"x8' hardmaple come down on the tip of my middle finger smashing on another , sparing the gore it got the tip mushed real good and got the tendon/nerve at the tip , after a trip to emerge and a consult with the doc , the best option for me was to shorten it up by 1 knuckle so the job was done .
Lesson is don't get the woodpile stacked so high and pay attention , I was concerned with logs rolling on me , not thinking about other situations .
I told the kids I was gonna glue a hotdog on the tip and dare kids to pull my finger for Halloween , the wife didn't think it was funny .
I'll be back to scrounging in a week or so , no worse than a broken rib , trigger finger works fine .

Oh that sucks, ouch, eek! You seem like a tough guy, but you heal fast though...

I do agree though, make lemonade, that finger pull trick with a hotdog and fake blood, a ketchup packet maybe, freekin hilarious, go for it!

200 ash logs are now 1800 rounds 16" long and ready to be split.
180 poplar logs are now 720 rounds 36" long and ready to split if I ever get time to work on my new splitter. Logs are 1 1/2 years old, starting to go punky fast.
4 gallons of mixed fuel , almost 2 gallons of bar oil, Stihl 660 and 440, sharpened chains maybe 6 times each, 3 gal of diesel in tractor.
About 15 hours of loading, marking, cutting, pushing into piles, sharpening chains and fueling.
Anyone wanna guess at the splitting hours that I'm going to be doing?

PS, my back is killing me.
View attachment 447225 View attachment 447227 View attachment 447228 View attachment 447229
Where do you buy your Ash logs from?
I've been looking for a log supplier around here, but they simply want too high of a price for me to make it feasible to buy loads.
I think it's up to $1500 a tandem(7-8 cords) load now.
But I keep looking.

OMG. Sounds horrific and traumatizing to me. You a tough one, but please be careful in future, we like you and want you around on here for a while.

Oh that sucks, ouch, eek! You seem like a tough guy, but you heal fast though...

I do agree though, make lemonade, that finger pull trick with a hotdog and fake blood, a ketchup packet maybe, freekin hilarious, go for it!

Zogg , while I was waiting for xrays (I always seem to get bumped to the front of the line LOL) I was listening to a Doc talk to an older couple , my guess was somewhere between 70's to 80's , the lady had fallen , the Doc commended the old fella for looking after his wife over the last few years but was doing his best to keep the conversation in good light while explaining that her frailty , Parkinsons and the onset of Dementia was getting to be passed the husbands physical ability to look after her and it was time to turn to get help .
I aint got and never had it that bad , I looked at a younger lady that was wheelchair bound and she was smiling as she passed me by , I've seen many hypochondriacs plug up the system thinking that there is something truly wrong with them , everytime I've been in so far I get to the head of the line and get well looked after so like I said , I aint got it bad at all , besides , it's only a flesh wound and it'll grow back right ?

Back