Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm late weighing in on he flippy caps debate. I've had no problems with them. I bought my 200t and 441 in 2009. I've used the 200t a lot with no issues. I've bought some used saws with flippy caps too.

I'm a Stihl guy but I'd like to get a 7910. I had a 6401 and it had a lot more torque than my 036. It was as heavy as my MS440 though so I sold it. Kind of wish I'd kept it.
It had a longer stroke.

My plow truck (81 GMC Jimmy with 350) has been missing lately. decided to start figuring that out today and came to the conclusion that the #8 cylinder only has 70lb of compression.

Revved it up to about 3k and poured a half quart of MMO down the carb, went for a short drive, and then dumped a can of seafoam down it the same way. Letting it cool down now to see if it helped. If not, I'm probably gonna keep plowing with it and rebuild it this summer. I just put a new carb on the stupid thing, so not really wanting to dump more money into it right now especially since I'm not working.

I never had 4 at the same time, but often 2 or 3 at a time, and the current one is #10.

I had 3 classic Mustangs when I got married the first time. Two 68 Fastback GTs and the 70 Boss 302 body. One of the 68s had a 302 4 bbl and was my economy car (got 18 MPG) and the other was a factory 428 CJ with the 4:30 drag pack option. (Very rare, worth lots of money now). I never rebuilt the 428 and both my 427 and my 390 GT were much faster than it, even w/o the gears.

My X got us in charge card debt and I had to sell the Mustangs and I purchased a 1980 Pinto Station Wagon that I used to bring home wood to heat the house. After I began to recover financially, I had an 85 T-Bird Turbo Coupe and an 85 Mustang GT. After that a 92 T-Bird Super Coupe, a 2000 Mustang GT then my current 2006 Mustang GT. Also had a couple of Rangers along the way. First year they were out I got a 4 cyl 4 speed 2wd w/standard cab (that was all they made at the time) and later got a V6 5 speed extended cab 4WD one. Also had a couple of Explorers over the years, the first one was by far the best. Bought it used and could not kill it. The 2nd one I bought new, and it had perpetual problems. Every 6,000 miles, it needed a new plug on #4 (plus other problems). Ford always said they fixed it, but never did.

Getting up to my property with the 2wd Ranger in the snow involved installing chains and driving recklessly, but I always managed to make it up the hill (just not always on the first attempt). You do what you have to do, and hope you survive it!

My current F-150 goes up so effortlessly with the Blizzacks that I pinch myself!

New to this forum,thought this would be a natural place to start.
I been cutting some firewood in my spare time for my sister,,,
but more just for fun,,,,:)

View attachment 1056684
Nice team you got there! The 266 was a strong saw. STIHL is!👍

Fir a Husky.😉

Sawed up some doggone dirty cedar logs today.
Awful hard on handsaw blades... I hate mud on logs!
View attachment 1056549

I missed out on the flippy cap debate.....

Stihl caps are a great idea, but an awful design.
Husky flippy caps work fine, but I don't like em.

I've yet to see a saw with a good oil cap arrangement...... there's always way too much topography in the oil cap region, in my opinion.
🤔How long dose it take to handsaw one of them thar logs?😉

No debate. Flip caps just plain suck!

Working on the franken365 today. Pulled the carb off and it IS a Walbro RWJ-4B which is the factory carb for a very 372 Xtorq.

I went ahead and pulled the cylinder and it appears to be a OEM 48mm non strato charged jug.

I tried putting a standard 372 carb on it but no nice with the air cleaner set up I have.

Also looks like it’s about time to be freshened up.

View attachment 1056508

View attachment 1056509

View attachment 1056510

View attachment 1056511
Man! Some of you guys will get every last stroke out of a saw hu?

Ten jugs, twenty pistons, seven gas tanks, three fly wheels, but them wraps thar? Them's original serial number! Yes sir!

🤣Good on ya!👍

well, :wtf: about that!! heck, i tried to wear out just one bar... but they kicked me out before things got too out of hand... lol :drinking: i just kept saying :givebeer:

but, just happens happened here yesterday. one bar, bad deal! guy got too drunk, tv news used that word... drunk! and left the bar. in tact. but he was not. so soon was at twice the speed limit they said... and of course... BAM! a head-on, killed 2! the dui driver was not killed...

now they want to sue the bar, too!

Wrong kind of bar…

mine is good enuff for my needs. got a big pile to let it chew on soon. need to cut it up. scrounged it on in other day. maybe i can sneak in a pix for chipper! lol ;)

in the meantime, well hope he gets the idea....
View attachment 1056667
Yeah I'd cut that thing up too! Watch ya thinking about using? Axe? Multcher? Mower? Any three work great on Huskies!

Back