Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got tracks and tracks and tracks and tracks and
Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti......
View attachment 1059779
What's next? Splitter or wood processor? Think maybe the skid steer is a done deal. Still waiting to see it next to the War Wagon tho.

I've had that with stock hook on 3/8 RS chains here in frozen hardwood. Other than that the stihl RS chains do very well in the hardest hardwoods here.

Its not square on the ones I have or have ran. It's somewhat similar to the results you get with the stihl hexa as the top portion of the hook is straight rather than curved. You can achieve a similar grind by laying the head of a grinder way over(can't remember the angle, it's been a bit), and do it in one step, but you have to watch the depth setting closely as the side of the wheel needs to drop below the working corner around. 080-.120"(guessing by eyeballing it). I like it a lot, and if the hexa cuts anything like it it will be a great selling point for those who visit stihl dealers on a normal basis. My favorite benefit of a square chain is not the speed, but rather how smooth it is, the new x-cut chain is nearly as smooth.
View attachment 1059739View attachment 1059740

Interesting.

So H-83 vs the round C-83.
I'm gonna mount this one up since I broke the seal on the box. Now, to figure out which saw to put it on. I have a 2252 jred that's set up for 3/8, I haven't run in a while, that sounds like a good fit for what I'm cutting currently :).
A gold side strap??? 🤔 That must mean it's top of the line premium!!!🤣🤣😉

What's next? Splitter or wood processor? Think maybe the skid steer is a done deal. Still waiting to see it next to the War Wagon tho.
Not done yet. I'm STIHL waiting on the rock and root grapple. Quick Attach built it sooner than anticipated though! They have already delivered it to the shipping terminal. It sails North in a couple days! 👍😉

Next?
A commercial splitter with a six way.👍😉

Not done yet. I'm STIHL waiting on the rock and root grapple. Quick Detach built it sooner than anticipated though! They have already delivered it to the shipping terminal. It sails North in a couple days! 👍😉

Next?
A commercial splitter with a six way.👍😉
Kewl! :dancing:

Idk, it's the only x-cut I've ever used. Which got me thinking sitting here this morning. I can't remember where I got those first 2 boxes of x-cut from, but last year I grabbed a 5 pack of them off ebay (20" loops) I haven't needed them since I got the 400, I ran the still 20" b/c for a while then swapped out to the 24" bar and haven't ran 20" since. So I never opened any of the new loops. Just odd, I don't typically buy skip tooth chain. I'll dig them all out when I get home tonight. But just thinking about it, I think you’re right.
H83 S chain 3969BA92-DEDB-4D37-B7EB-D57ED7D8D6B7.jpeg

@chipper1 , @Squareground3691 , you guys were right. The C-83 is Definatly not square ground. I have no idea why I was thinking it was. Dug through the boxes and for whatever reason I have a oregon square ground chain in a c-83 box. Feel like an idiot, thanks for keeping me honest.

Attachments

• 20230221_180341.jpg
    20230221_180341.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230221_180305.jpg
    20230221_180305.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230221_180301.jpg
    20230221_180301.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I struggle to keep up with the pace of this thread, so I'm often pages behind before I set up to join in. But, here goes anyway. You guys sure have some pretty firearms. Last week, in a kind of tribute to my Dad who carried this Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 for about 70 years in the PA woods, I suited up in some of his tanned buckskin and his gun for a memory:

IMG_2432.jpg

Be sure to check the squish when you assemble it, most 2 series saws are very tight right from the factory and do not have enough room to do a base gasket delete(I'm not sure if the larger saws you could get away with it). The 257 was the exception to that rule.
The 262 you could use a 254 gasket as the original was 2mm and the 254 was only 1mm, but the others many guys used "beer can" gaskets(made from cans), or had paper of various thicknesses for making them.
Looks like it's coming along nicely.
I hear that a piece of solder in the spark plug hole is the easiest way to check the squish. I have two different sizes of it.

I hear that a piece of solder in the spark plug hole is the easiest way to check the squish. I have two different sizes of it.
Thats how I check squish, unless the plug is vertical. Have a little adapter made for a dial indicator. Doesn't seem to be consistent with the off center plugs though.

Ah but if it does sit baack it can and does fall bbackward. I saw a perfect example of it in the aftermath. Power line down and the cutter paid for the pole and the re-wiring. I had looked at that tree and passed as it obviously was going in the wires.
You just needed a Japanese felling tool lol.
Coming tonight, how not to fell trees with Brett :surprised3::lol:.
In the meantime, a few pictures of the damage to another locust.
20230221_163126.jpg20230221_164257.jpg20230221_164823.jpg
Got a bunch of smaller cherrys down to make room so I could encourage a couple more BL to fall. Then I limbed the larger one and bucked the smaller stuff and got 4 more logs.

@chipper1 , @Squareground3691 , you guys were right. The C-83 is Definatly not square ground. I have no idea why I was thinking it was. Dug through the boxes and for whatever reason I have a oregon square ground chain in a c-83 box. Feel like an idiot, thanks for keeping me honest.
Better to feel like an idiot than to be one :laugh: .
I didn't realize there was square x-cut chain, so we're all learning something. And as it says in my signature, if your not laughing loving and learning your not living. Guess we're still alive :).
Hit these chains before I went out. Unfortunately my ms200 rear handle sounded lean(bit consistently lean, so it may just need tuned), so I didn't get to run it much today. Got my money out of this one.
@Kodiak Kid its never been on a grinder, I should probably put it on there real quick lol.
20230221_150214.jpg20230221_145906.jpg
I didn't use the x-cut chain because I had a 24" bar/chain on the 372xpg, I snagged that so I could have warm hands. I'll put it on something soon, I really like those chains.
Oregon EXL 3/8.
Hope I'm doing it right.
20230221_145638.jpg

That works. I'd use whichever one is closer to .020 rather than thicker.
It can be tighter than .020, I've seen dolmar 7900's that were at .014 out of the factory. Most guys shoot for .020, some like them a little looser on a build(when they are cutting the squish band and base). Most 2 series saws are pretty tight from the factory, especially compared to 3 series saws.

Latest posts

Back