Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like sage wisdom!

I've done some dumb **** in my younger days. In high school we used to make double powder trap loads to punish those who had the lowest score at the end of the league. Looking back it was incredibly stupid. Someone could've gotten seriously injured or worse with those. I don't even want to know what the pressures were. I'm sure it was close to proof pressure.

Now I'm heading out to batten down the hatches. I think we may have our first major snowfall of winter coming over the next couple days.
Heck we used to do that on purpose when we were reloading just to piss off my older brother. That reading 12ga loader was real easy to double charge with. Had it figured out that even him being 6'4" 220lbs would get a bruised shoulder..... stupid yes, funny heck yet.
Anyone else miss there family after a few days of being alone??

My wife has the girls down south visiting colleges. My oldest got accepted to a few

Her first choice is ETSU, Digital Marketing

My connect at GM told us they’d get her an internship and then possibly a position when she graduates

Makes me always remember that saying, “not what, but who you know”

But, just me and the dogs home since Saturday morning

I am BORED out of my mind

Ready to have them back and that is t happening until Saturday evening

Gonna go top off the stove and grab one more refreshment before I turn in
Few years ago wife went with her family to Disney. I couldn't get off work, and honestly I attended a few conferences at Disney and have no desire to go there for "fun".
Anyway. They left on a Friday were down for the week and wete supposed to be home the following Sunday. Only thing that really bugged me was my wife not being in bed. Just couldn't sleep for shite knowing she wasn't there. I mean we're going on 13 years and at the time it would have been more like 10 years together, so not long by any means but it just really got to me. And yes she hogs an entire queen sized bed being 5'3" and 98lbs fully dressed... figure that one out. Normally I'm happy to sleep on the couch since I have more room lol.

I only have 3 lever action rifles, but they cover all the bases I need a lever action to cover. I have installed peep sights on all 3 as scopes on top eject guns don't make much sense.

My Buffalo Bill Model 94 in 30-30 with a 26" octagon barrel holds very well offhand and fells like an old black powder rife. I used to handload 110 grain round nose bullets (a light load that printed in the same place as the 170 grain bullets) to use for target practice and hunting woodchucks. Almost no recoil and was deadly on woodchucks (standing-offhand) out to 100 yds.

My Browning reproduction of a Model 95 Winchester has a slick action and shoots very well. I handload it with 165 grain Remington bullets.

My original Model 71 in 348 is a thumper on both ends, the Model 95 feels like a pussycat compared to it. I think some of it is the stock design.

I would love to hunt more with them, but when they changed the rules up at my property to require 3 points on a side (or be bald if you have a doe permit) it put a damper on me hunting with them. All 3 guns shoot well, I doubt you could shoot better with a bolt action with open sights.

I only have 3 lever action rifles, but they cover all the bases I need a lever action to cover. I have installed peep sights on all 3 as scope on top eject guns don't make much sense.

My Buffalo Bill Model 94 in 30-30 with a 26" octagon barrel holds very well offhand and fells like an old black powder rife. I used to handload 110 grain round nose bullets (a light load that printed in the same place as the 170 grain bullets) to use for target practice and hunting woodchucks. Almost no recoil and was deadly on woodchucks (standing-offhand) out to 100 yds.

My Browning reproduction of a Model 95 Winchester has a slick action and shoots very well. I handload it with 165 grain Remington bullets.

My original Model 71 in 348 is a thumper on both ends, the Model 95 feels like a pussycat compared to it. I think some of it is the stock design.

I would love to hunt more with them, but when they changed the rules up at my property to require 3 points on a side (or be bald if you have a doe permit) it put a damper on me hunting with them. All 3 guns shoot well, I doubt you could shoot better with a bolt action with open sights.
I’m a big lever action fan and have more then I care to admit.

🤣🤣 Ok, your STIHL not hearing me. I'm very familiar with loctite and, it's use. I use it on my saws all the time. Just not my bar nuts because my bar nuts DONT VIBRATE OFF!
When I take one off manually with a bar wrench sometimes every now and then I will accidentally drop one out of my hand. If I ca t find it in under a minute. I reach into my pocket. Not the pocket with the bottle of loctite, but the pocket with a spare bar nut. I then take the spare bar nut and replace the lost nut. By threading the spare nut on to the bar stud.
Do you understand?
let me explain... u see....
i have this neat, go-kit tool kit! have had it for years. xmas present. great forged tools! one day whilst working up on the ranch house.... out of the screwdriver handle fell my #2 phillips head. i was over the top pzzed! and i hunted for it for 3 days. not 24/7 like, but for 3 days! a Lowe's pack of 10 would not cut it... i wanted that one! i found it. i don't swap out tool bits bar nuts! 'cause i never loose mine!!!! :happybanana:

'cause 242 will do
1677051309583.png

Just called my guy. He said he has had them for a couple of months. He said a couple of guys I know have been using them and like them. I asked about files and he said those guys have just been using the regular round file. About $4 more per chain than the regular ones.
i see the design, wondering what the advantage is?

I've never pulled a stud, but I've stripped one once. That being said. I've been doing this long enough to know exactly how tight every nut and bolt on the saw should be to get maximum prime life out of the saw. A t-handle torxs wrench is a must for me. My saw pack doesn't leave home without it!
that's what i say about eating dinner! been doing it so long, know just how it all goes... then half the fork falls to the floor! :dumb: :lol:

:givebeer:

let me explain... u see....
i have this neat, go-kit tool kit! have had it for years. xmas present. great forged tools! one day whilst working up on the ranch house.... out of the screwdriver handle fell my #2 phillips head. i was over the top pzzed! and i hunted for it for 3 days. not 24/7 like, but for 3 days! a Lowe's pack of 10 would not cut it... i wanted that one! i found it. i don't swap out tool bits bar nuts! 'cause i never loose mine!!!! :happybanana:

'cause 242 will do
View attachment 1059964
🤣🤣👍 Heck ya brother! A dedicated man you are! A dedicated man Indeed! Good on ya!😉

😳10%!!!
🤔Interesting. Im trying to run through
my head how a cutter with three angels and a sharpened gullet can remove more wood than a cutter with two angles and no gullet at all.
What about precision grinding, or is it only possible to hand file with a file that only the saw chain manufacturer offers exclusively at a very high premium cost?
I don't know guys? Sounds like STIHL benefits more then the consumer on this one!
I'm willing to bet that chain doesn't stay in production and on the shelves very long at all before consumers realize what's up! I'll give it five, maybe six years tops before it's discontinued.
aside from optimization, nothing wrong with a stock chain and a std file to fit sharpening...

I think Stihl trying to compete with the square chain market, as an easier way to achieve with costumers , rather than trying to square file .
i got a file like this, maybe i should get me a new chain to go with it....

1677052219566.png

Yeah, but how do you dress it? With a hand held stone dresser? You WILL NOT be able to keep your angles on the stone consistent with a dresser you hold in your hand! Your dressers must me mounted stationary and firm to the grinder itself.
Not trying to steer anyone away from it. I'm actually curious about the chain!
I'm just not going to fork out the money to test one out until I hear the reviews from those of you that did!🤣🤣
sometimes for a pro active lumberjack companies will send up a case to get back the lumberjack's opinion...

I’m just not seeing the need for it. I’ve never once lost a bar but from vibration. As a matter of fact, I don’t think I’ve ever lost one 🤔
i have... down it went off the saw, then the bench... to the ground... :pingpong: but then i found it...

i got in an argument once, well they started it... new saw. and bar din't quite fit right and tight one day. Service said i over tightenedstud and pulled it out of the case! haha.... that conversation din't go to well...

next day i was in the store at the counter... the old man was there... his kid was the one with all the exp and opinions... i mentioned something, he said... 'I heard about it!' (definitely not a pulled stud)
:laughing:
:givebeer:

Back