Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t get me wrong, I can file a mean chain that you could probably shave with if you could get it to your face, but filing chains off the saw is a pain, so they go on the grinder.
i just tighten the chain somewhat mark the starting point... file n pull. then swap sides. ck rakers. leather gloved helpful... a nbd deal to me. piece a cake, imo... big issues is going to get the file!! :lol:
:givebeer:

No one can get a hand filed chain. Be it round or square. To cut consistently smooth as a precision ground chain. If they say they can? They are missing something somewhere. Perhaps they have never run a precision grider for the entire life of a chain from start to scrap. This is all simply just my opinion gentlemen.👍
don't read that way.... :popcorn2:

No one can get a hand filed chain. Be it round or square. To cut consistently smooth as a precision ground chain. If they say they can? They are missing something somewhere

I’ve actually never run a square ground chain. I tried hand filing a few times and they don’t came anywhere close to cutting as well as my round ground so I just kind of gave up on it.

Would love to get my hands on a square grinder but haven’t even ever seen one.
the kid says u r missing out!

I'm not knocking your style Pard. I was just taking the piss out of ya a bit. Anyone who can consistently square file good by hand. Is further ahead than the rest IMOP!
well with the new Hex, prob be a whole lot of experts soon!!! :rock2:

Id like to think most of us in this thread take for granted we all keep up with the depth gauges when sharpening. Really from hacks like me to the pros that frequent this thread we all seem to have a reasonable grasp on sharpening chains. Such our quibbles for round vs Square, semi vs full chisel is idle bickering. We all do what suits our needs best. I know as long as I've been running saws and sharpening chains there's always better then me out there, but I can make a mean chain in my own right.
me, too! and by his own admissions... he lives up there a bit past the PNW, SW of Anchorage...over on an island... 🤩 :laugh:

G'day fellers,

Got out after the candlebark (e.rubida) scrounge again this morning. Dusted off Limby who hasn't done anything since September and he fired up first pull with the old fuel.

22nd Feb 1.jpg

I'll admit, I did need two hands to get the bigger rounds into the trailer. The bigger two logs filled it so there is stihl this to go. I cut the two smaller ones with the 241.

22nd Feb 2.jpg

Drove home with this

22nd Feb 3.jpg

or to put it another way, this

22nd Feb 4.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Speaking of 30-30's I traded a Marlin 60 22 with a scope, even up for this Marlin 30-30,

Resized-20230214-140002-S.jpg

a few days ago. It has a little surface rust, but it shoots/functions just fine.

SR
nice! thanks for the post :)

round peg in a square hole sort of thing... :popcorn2:
I stopped into the shop where my son works yesterday to get a 6’ level. While there I chatted with my son and others including the manager. They got in some square grind skip tooth Stihl chain for me to play with. I mentioned the file thing and they busted out laughing. Considering how much stupid stuff they see people do I thought that was pretty good.😉

Back