Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun day today . The tractor didn’t pass my wife’s torture test . We got it last summer it was a like new piece and the owner moved to a condo . She came in yesterday and said I need you to look at the tractor . IMG_6335.jpegIMG_6336.jpegIMG_6338.jpegIMG_6339.jpegIMG_6342.jpeg
So a piece of plate and some heat IMG_6339.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6337.jpeg
    IMG_6337.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I'm contemplating building my own little camper. I don't really want a trailer...a cab-over would be more my style, but that means taking my headache rack on/off my Dodge whenever I use it. Besides, I don't need all the amenities. Basically just a roof over my head and stuff to cook with.

I used to go all over the place racing/riding dirtbikes, just sleeping in the bed of my pickup and eating whatever I could scrounge from other people's cooking...or crap I cooked up on the little hibachi. I'm tired of those days...no more crappy meals, no more sleeping in the bed of a pickup when it's 20 degrees out in the desert, etc. I'm thinking just something that can stay warm and has a really basic kitchen set up. Also something I could lock my bicycles up in, as I mostly am traveling nowadays to do cycling races, as I stick to local stuff for the motos nowadays. Basically just a glorified camper shell.
I graduated from the pick-up bed to a van for my road adventures.. A pillow top twin, plenty of storage, and a Webasto heater.. Once you go to a van , you never go back.... Don't forget the pee bottle for not getting out.. Truck stops for showers, or a gym membership.. :rock2:

One of my favorite albums. Have you seen the British Sci-Fi movie where they played Whiskey Bar? I think the movie was called, "The End of the World." The End of the World was the name of a pub.
That songs a bit "circusy" for me, it reminds me of Pink Floyd Bike for some reason :guitar: .
I think Bike is better myself :innocent:.

And here's one of the woodpile and the pond area. I actually did a lot out there after this video, I was quite pleased with what I got done, got everything filled in to that bigger cherry, and a good bit extra on that side as well :clap:.

I've put 4 of them in 372s over the year's
They have good rpm but torque isn't quite regular 372 level
But they start easier than many 50cc saws
And will pull a 24" good in hardwood.
Who cut them for you.
I never noticed them being down on torque, I actually never really notice a 372 having torque :laugh:, unless it was an xtorq lol. I think the xtorq is quite a bit more forgiving in the cut, but the 372 is a nice runner and lighter.
It's amazing how easy they start.
That was a 24 in those videos, cutting some pretty hard elm. Not sure what chain I was running, I would guess EXL; I had quite the pile of them, pretty much on the last of them now.

Fun day today . The tractor didn’t pass my wife’s torture test . We got it last summer it was a like new piece and the owner moved to a condo . She came in yesterday and said I need you to look at the tractor . View attachment 1083985View attachment 1083986View attachment 1083988View attachment 1083989View attachment 1083990
So a piece of plate and some heat View attachment 1083989
Nice job.
Can't wait to be able to make repairs like that when needed in the barn.
Yesterday I bought a 50' 6/3 extension cord for the garage/ a welder, I don't even have a welder lol.

I graduated from the pick-up bed to a van for my road adventures.. A pillow top twin, plenty of storage, and a Webasto heater.. Once you go to a van , you never go back.... Don't forget the pee bottle for not getting out.. Truck stops for showers, or a gym membership.. :rock2:

I thought about it, but a van isn't in the cards for a few different reasons. I might as well make a modular setup for the back of the Dodge diesel, I actually like road trips in it, even if the exhaust is a little drone-y. :laugh:

Fun day today . The tractor didn’t pass my wife’s torture test . We got it last summer it was a like new piece and the owner moved to a condo . She came in yesterday and said I need you to look at the tractor . View attachment 1083985View attachment 1083986View attachment 1083988View attachment 1083989View attachment 1083990
I like the added gussets…that should have been there in the first place :p

That songs a bit "circusy" for me, it reminds me of Pink Floyd Bike for some reason :guitar: .
I think Bike is better myself :innocent:.

And here's one of the woodpile and the pond area. I actually did a lot out there after this video, I was quite pleased with what I got done, got everything filled in to that bigger cherry, and a good bit extra on that side as well :clap:.

The vid is perfect for show what it actually looks like!
seems you have enough volume space in there to add some big rocks and/or tree stumps for fish/bug habitat.

Who cut them for you.
I never noticed them being down on torque, I actually never really notice a 372 having torque :laugh:, unless it was an xtorq lol. I think the xtorq is quite a bit more forgiving in the cut, but the 372 is a nice runner and lighter.
It's amazing how easy they start.
That was a 24 in those videos, cutting some pretty hard elm. Not sure what chain I was running, I would guess EXL; I had quite the pile of them, pretty much on the last of them now.
They run fine but are not as strong as ported 372s
I used the scalloped style ft pistons later I learned
Simonizer used non windowed jonsereds 670 pistons he was well known for them
I'll try those next I have like 8 372s

Since both my daughter's 308 and my 30-06 both seem to like the Speer 165 grain Bt bullets, I decided to buy more of them today and take advantage of the free shipping from Midway. Speer bullets seem to be reasonably priced and mostly available. To my surprise, they also had CCI Small Rifle Primers available, so I also ended up getting some more of them.

Ordered more of them than I wanted, because the Hazmat fee stays the same and primers are so hard to get (and the price keeps going up), so I should be set with them for a while. Now if I could just find some large rifle primers, have not seen them available for a while. Not that I don't have a good supply, but I just hate using things I can't replace!

I have 4 of them, but I'm keeping them! Two are the NLA lighter E bars with the wider yellow profile tip, and one is an older (NLA) ES wide tip. I often run that on my 8.6 Hp 660 clone when I want to noodle large rounds.
A customer wanted a 20" es light bar I stopped by the local dealer
242.00 for a bar and chain
I literally bought 7 24" Oregon versacuts for that price
Stihl saws are not my favorite but they do make some fine bar's and chains
But damn that's crazy pricing.

If I can find the pic I'll post it of when my niece hit a pick axe with her cub cadet because some neighbor kids left it in her yard
Spectacular damage
She thought the motor came apart.

A customer wanted a 20" es light bar I stopped by the local dealer
242.00 for a bar and chain
I literally bought 7 24" Oregon versacuts for that price
Stihl saws are not my favorite but they do make some fine bar's and chains
But damn that's crazy pricing.
The light bars have become VERY expensive, best to order one with the saw as a package.

I'm glad I have a good # of them (2-20", 2-28". 32" and 2-36"). They are usually a good deal lighter than other light bars in the longer lengths.

The E bars were also fairly light and reasonably priced, but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird in most sizes. I have a few in 20" and a couple in 24".

Back