Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burned the brush pile that's been collecting for a few weeks. It's no @Cowboy254 level bonfire, but this one is too close to my house and woods for that size. Only 12' tall flames maybe.
20230910_102642.jpg
Not quite sure what's going on with this oak in the front yard. Most of the branches above the fork on this side are brown. No visible damage to tree or roots other than one small broken limb below the fork.
20230910_103930.jpg
And another load.
20230910_105356.jpg

You need to make a vid on wheelbarrow loads , like El Chapo , got chaps Lol 😆
I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen!
roll wheelbarrow GIF

Went back and got another trailer load of the red elm out, some good, some the mushrooms got into.
KIMG4547.JPG
KIMG4550.JPG
one more trailer load to go, a strong face cord total.
The Cherry
KIMG4542.JPG
Tried to drop it.
KIMG4545.JPG
Bottom cut and down the back, then it twisted a bit and grabbed the saw good.
Took the powerhead off the blade, and beat in a steel wedge. got the blade and chain out then it dropped off the stump. Prolly 2-8' saw logs but dunno if they're of any value.
KIMG4549.JPG
All good now.
Should be half or 2/3 cord from that one and I can get to it with the mower and trailer.

Whenever I'm not sure of the lean I like to follow the bar with plastic wedges ... they are much easier on the chain!

If I'm near a building, road or powerline I will always tie it and pull with my rope winch. A little gust of wind can make a tree go the wrong way ... always better to be safe than sorry!

Also often use the plastic wedges when bucking large diameter logs to prevent pinches (especially from twists you can't see).

Whenever I'm not sure of the lean I like to follow the bar with plastic wedges ... they are much easier on the chain!

If I'm near a building, road or powerline I will always tie it and pull with my rope winch. A little gust of wind can make a tree go the wrong way ... always better to be safe than sorry!

Also often use the plastic wedges when bucking large diameter logs to prevent pinches (especially from twists you can't see).
Went up there to get the elm trunk, finished bucking it up, then thought O heck let's see if I can get the cherry on the ground.
I was pretty sure of the lean here. ;^) The top was hung so there was a lot of pressure back to the stump. Didn't have wedges or scrench with me, but wife showed up, so I sent her to get them LOL. By the time she walked back up with that stuff I had the trailer filled with Elm rounds. It took a lot of beating on the steel wedge to open the cut to retrieve the blade and chain but they came out unhurt. The top did come down out of the other trees so the rest will be easy.

Man, the mosquitos are killing me today! Normally they don't bother me too bad and I rarely use repellant, but I think I'll have to if I spend any more time outside. The twisted box elder is not doing me any favors either.
20230910_153950.jpg20230910_162901.jpg
Found this pallet at the local feed store. He sells most of his pallets to a recycler, but they don't want this kind. He said he would set them aside for me when he gets a few more. Not sure what to make yet, but seems like good project wood.
20230910_125027.jpg

How did you do the pork loin? Got in a bath to keep it moist?
Injected with its apple juice and a few spices i alway use a pan to catch the drippings I don’t wrap the pork loin since it’s only on a few hours . The ribs I cook open then wrap for the last two hours . When they are just about done I put them on the rack to firm up a bit

G'day fellers,

I've been feeling off recently. Nothing specific, just not quite right. Maybe I should make a doctor's appointment. Then I realised! I haven't scrounged for 5 days. So I went back out and picked up the split manna gum and peppermint from last time.

20230911_153813.jpg

I also cut up the rest of the manna gum trunk to pick up another time.

20230911_162716.jpg

I also started piling up bark and small stuff for burning, didn't think that warranted a picture. Well, maybe next time. Anyway, I feel better now after a hit.

Scrounge on :rock:

I also remember cutting all the wood for my uncle's friend's cabin (where we hunted previously) w/o a chainsaw ... we cut everything with bow saws by hand!

Now that's scrounging. I kept our house warm with wood I cut with a bow saw for 7 years. Then children arrived and wood consumption doubled with Cowgirl at home all the time and that was the end of that.

G'day fellers,

I've been feeling off recently. Nothing specific, just not quite right. Maybe I should make a doctor's appointment. Then I realised! I haven't scrounged for 5 days. So I went back out and picked up the split manna gum and peppermint from last time.

View attachment 1111504

View attachment 1111503

I also started piling up bark and small stuff for burning, didn't think that warranted a picture. Well, maybe next time. Anyway, I feel better now after a hit.

Just needed some therapy!

G'day fellers,

View attachment 1111504

View attachment 1111503

If you're having these sorts of medical issues you may want to consult with Dr H.Ranch.

Latest posts

Back