seal puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grrrrr, just tried it on an old Monkey Wards saw the size of a Mini Mac or Mac 6. . . Smmmmaaaallll seals.

The hook had to be thinned to fit in the slot, and then it fit the seal, but it bent the paint openers. :angry:

These new openers are wimpy compared to the old ones. :rant:

Bare in mind, this was a real small seal, and a guy might not have to thin the hook for other saws. The screw device worked flawlessly though -- it wanted to pull the seal, if not for the China made openers.

I'll have to do more testing. . .

man that is slick!!!
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3189-lisle-58430.aspx

LIS-58430.jpg

Cont. . .

The paint can openers can be placed beside the crank in position to remove the seals, then slid into the notches on the puller.

Easy, cheap, and oh so Redneck. :D

puller1-28-10010.jpg

:cheers: :cheers:

can you heat treat it or something? or is the metal just trash? Maybe use old screwdrivers and bend them into something that will work with the puller.

Id buy one.

can you heat treat it or something? or is the metal just trash? Maybe use old screwdrivers and bend them into something that will work with the puller.

Id buy one.

Would fabricating paint can openers for use as a seal puller make it more or less redneck?

Id buy one.

I'm not sure it can be classified as a metal. :rolleyes:

I already have another plan of action to modify the openers. . . More on that soon.

I'm not sure it can be classified as a metal. :rolleyes:

I already have another plan of action to modify the openers. . . More on that soon.

Hey Nate,

Any updates on this? I'm repairing an 026 with a bad FW seal :cry:

I have gotten through it several times by other means, but I'd sure like to make up something decent to do it this time.

Hey Nate,

Any updates on this? I'm repairing an 026 with a bad FW seal :cry:

I have gotten through it several times by other means, but I'd sure like to make up something decent to do it this time.

Tim,

Yeah, let me grab a picture. . . It worked pretty good with the mods I made to it. I pulled a 3mm wide seal (super tiny) with no problem. I also was shown a tool that was used by my local Stihl Tech, and will explain that as well.

Tim,

Yeah, let me grab a picture. . . It worked pretty good with the mods I made to it. I pulled a 3mm wide seal (super tiny) with no problem. I also was shown a tool that was used by my local Stihl Tech, and will explain that as well.

Lots of great ideas, guys!!!

My local stihl tech uses one he made from a bar cleaning tool......He says it works great......It just looks like a mini version of the old hook type, Lisle seal pullers.........I've got to get something rigged up!

Okay Tim, here's the skinny. . .

I cut off the round part of the paint can opener, right where it went from flat to round. I used a cutoff wheel on the Dremel, but about anything could be used.

100_0315.jpg

100_0316.jpg

I then used the same cutoff wheel to grind off the rivets on an old chain I had, and disassembled it. I wanted some tie straps and drivers. . .

100_0317.jpg

I then took the drivers and cut them like shown below (again with the cutoff wheel on the Dremel), not sure if you can see the silver pencil mark too good?

100_0327.jpg

I then drilled out the tie-strap holes so an 1/8" aluminum rivet would fit through it, and also drilled a hole through the paint opener. I riveted it all together like so. . .

100_0318.jpg

100_0324.jpg

100_0325.jpg

100_0323.jpg

I had a small Monkey Wards (Mac clone) saw to pull a seal on to test it. . . The seal is only 3mm wide, and the tool didn't miss a beat. The damage to the seal was from previous attempts with the original idea, and not from the new design.

100_0330.jpg

Using the whole puller assembly wasn't necessary on such a small seal, I just held it like this. . .

100_0329.jpg

I slid the puller in beside the seal and crank-end the skinny way, and once it was down there, I twisted sideways so the hook was bearing under the metal part of the seal, and just pulled the seal out. :clap:

On bigger seals, I'd imagine using the whole puller assembly might work better than using just one of the pullers? . . But just this one alone would probably do it all. :cheers:

100_0325.jpg

100_0323.jpg

I had a small Monkey Wards (Mac clone) saw to pull a seal on to test it. . . The seal is only 3mm wide, and the tool didn't miss a beat. The damage to the seal was from previous attempts with the original idea, and not from the new design.

100_0330.jpg

Using the whole puller assembly wasn't necessary on such a small seal, I just held it like this. . .

100_0329.jpg

I slid the puller in beside the seal and crank-end the skinny way, and once it was down there, I twisted sideways so the hook was bearing under the metal part of the seal, and just pulled the seal out. :clap:

On bigger seals, I'd imagine using the whole puller assembly might work better than using just one of the pullers? . . But just this one alone would probably do it all. :cheers:

nice work good improv.

Back