Season by the numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_2649.JPG IMG_3009.JPG IMG_2649.JPG As many of you know in here, not only do I burn but I also sell as much as I can produce. This past year, for the first time ever, I kept track of all money in and out as well as total wood delivered and miles driven. So here is the season by numbers:
115 cords delivered
7 weekends out of 8 spent delivering
1,550 miles put on my dump truck delivering
61% of all money taken in was profit

In the off season I bought a newer faster splitter with a 6 way wedge and log lift. I also hired out a little more help splitting than in previous years and spent more time with my family. I'm planning on keeping track again this year and I believe it will be more profitable as I hope to spend less on purchasing wood than last season. And because I know you all love pictures so much here is a before and after of one of my piles of splits.

jrider, do you get much mud on your splits that are in contact with the ground. My splits fall off my conveyor into a big pile but I always have lots of mud stuck to the bottom pieces. I have a pile of chipper mulch and was thinking that I might spread it on the grass first to try to reduce the mud sticking. I hand load onto a conveyor and leave the muddy splits behind but it's a tripping hazard. I burn the muddy stuff in my owb. I used to drop it onto wood skids but that was even worse on the ankles.

View attachment 686030 View attachment 686031 View attachment 686030 As many of you know in here, not only do I burn but I also sell as much as I can produce. This past year, for the first time ever, I kept track of all money in and out as well as total wood delivered and miles driven. So here is the season by numbers:
115 cords delivered
7 weekends out of 8 spent delivering
1,550 miles put on my dump truck delivering
61% of all money taken in was profit

In the off season I bought a newer faster splitter with a 6 way wedge and log lift. I also hired out a little more help splitting than in previous years and spent more time with my family. I'm planning on keeping track again this year and I believe it will be more profitable as I hope to spend less on purchasing wood than last season. And because I know you all love pictures so much here is a before and after of one of my piles of splits.

Do those numbers include paying yourself? Are most/all of your sales dump by the cord residential?

jrider, do you get much mud on your splits that are in contact with the ground. My splits fall off my conveyor into a big pile but I always have lots of mud stuck to the bottom pieces. I have a pile of chipper mulch and was thinking that I might spread it on the grass first to try to reduce the mud sticking. I hand load onto a conveyor and leave the muddy splits behind but it's a tripping hazard. I burn the muddy stuff in my owb. I used to drop it onto wood skids but that was even worse on the ankles.
We have relatively sandy soil that drains well. Plus I keep a layer of bark and splitter scraps on the ground that help a lot.

Do those numbers include paying yourself? Are most/all of your sales dump by the cord residential?
No, I'm not an official business on the books so that 61% is what goes in my safe as cash. And I dumped all but just a few cords. Those few got stacked and the sad part is I can make more $ per hour stacking than cutting/splitting.

Out of curiosity, how do you define "profit"? Are you subtracting your actual expenses, or also including wear and tear/depreciation? Also, I assume you aren't paying yourself an hourly wage before the profit number.

I have no formula to account for depreciation of my limited equipment but I do subtract any fees for maintenance or new purchases into my figures.

I have no formula to account for depreciation of my limited equipment but I do subtract any fees for maintenance or new purchases into my figures.

Latest posts

Back