SEF Premix alternative option

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip4664

Lover of 2 strokes
Reaction score
I think most would agree that the SEF product by VP fuel is pretty good stuff to avoid ethanol and have a long shelf life. For my pocket book, its a bit pricey when you have alot of cutting to do, and 32 oz cans get cumbersome too. So I basically wanted to use the same product, but make it myself so I can mix larger volumes. I think I found a pretty good way to come close for what would equate to about $3.25 per 32 oz can as opposed to 5.99 or 6.99 or whatever they charge now.

The ingredients:

VP Racing Fuel distributors offer a product called "T4". It is 100 Research octane, which I was told by the dealer that if using the pump RON+MON/2 method would amount to about 96. The T4 fuel is 12.99/gal in a 5 gallon steel can. Shelf life is 2 years if kept in a steel can and out of temp extremes. The T4 product is marketed toward 4 and 2 stroke powersport machines (motorcross, atvs, etc)

A liter of Motul 800 2T is is 19.99 at my local cycle shop, and after years of using it in 2 stroke bikes, its proven to be one of the best for me. VP already uses a Motul product in their 50:1 and 40:1 premixes, but emails that I have sent to both companies about which oil, specifically, have gone unanswered. Regardless, 800 2T is their best, so mixing it this way is certainly not a step backward, and possibly an upgrade to what's in the SEF branded cans.

Anyway, my dad and I split a 5 gallon, so I was able to mix 2 gallons for a weekend of camp firewood cutting and didn't have to fumble with 8 32 oz cans or run ethanol fuel.

SEF is available in 5 gallon cans for $70-$90 depending on where you go.

Your idea is not a bad one though.

I'd also consider the fact that the real advantage of SEF is reportedly in storage. Most users on here don't report running issues with E10 or below gas on a daily basis, but rather with storage.

I ran through a 5 gallon of SEF one season, but then realized that it's kinda spendy for no real gain in the short term. So I just buy a couple quarts and keep them on hand and use them for situations where equipment will be used very sporadically or where it will be stored for a long time.

Mike

Latest posts

Back