Seized up stihl ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said guys I've never worked on or diagnosed a troubled saw. So I can't tell you exactly what was the issue. All I know is it's running now and I told you guys exactly what my buddy told me.

If I had been there I would have provided pics to give you guys an idea on what he found wrong with it. All I know for sure is it was under the fins at the starter rope.

He seems to think its not running the same as it was before so I think it's headed to the local stihl dealer. I'll keep in touch on what they say.

-BOA

The story continues........tune in tomorrow, same time, same bat channel.

Hopefully he goes to an honest dealer ....
Was the owner sure it had to do with the starter?

He claims he pulled the cover over the starter rope and there was a "nut" that was too tight. Doesn't make sense to me but I've never been into that part of the saw.

Well is it possible to have it too tight where it locks up the fly wheel? I'll get some pics for you guys and it will solve the issue of two novices trying to explain to you guys wtf is going on

I feel like I am on some old B&W TV game show called, "Guess what broke"?
Lol[emoji38]
I say it was binding up from a poor mix and on its way to seizing. But maybe since it was operating at low rpms it just shut down without much damage?????? Oh hell !!!! I don't know anymore!!!!!lmao

Anything more on the saw?
Did you friend end up taking it to the dealer?

I went over the other day. I'm scared to run it although he has since the shut down. He seemed to think it didn't sound right when he did.

I got some more pics for you guys. We started to remove the air filter and carb but I've never removed the carb before. Don't wanna mess anything up. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg When I first got into the air filter I noticed some oily sawdust in there. He acted like it was potentially there from when put the filter back on from before. Forgot to get a pic of the air filter but it's most definitely not very dirty. But the dust inside definitely gets me nervous.

That nut in the middle of the fly wheel pic he said was very tight and that's what he loosened to get it to turn over. Is there any scenario where that nut could be over tightened causing the rope to not turn over?

We removed the nuts from the bolts on the carb and got the rubber where the tuning screws are. What else do we need to do to remove it? Does it just take some lressure to get it out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

That nut holding the flywheel wasn't too tight, and wasn't the reason it was hard to turn over. When he was cranking on the nut he probably jarred the piston loose in the cylinder. There's still something else wrong and I wouldn't run the saw til you figure it out.

290.jpg
I went over the other day. I'm scared to run it although he has since the shut down. He seemed to think it didn't sound right when he did.

I got some more pics for you guys. We started to remove the air filter and carb but I've never removed the carb before. Don't wanna mess anything up. View attachment 493221

Any advice would be appreciated.
Take a flat screwdriver and pop out the throttle rod out of the black plastic trigger piece, and remove the rod.

Latest posts

Back