Selecting a new brushcutter/trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIZROID

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 8 yr. old Husqvarna 323 L trimmer is throwing a lot of oil from the muffler . I have cut thousands of saplings with this machine and it has done a good job overall. I would like to replace it with a more powerful machine. I am currently looking at the Stihl fs 130 4-mix and the fs 250. Any recommendations on this subject would be very helpful. I am not very familiar with the 4-mix technology other than what i have read on the website.

One word...Shindaiwa

You probably can't get a better brush cutter than a Shindaiwa. I would recommend the B45 but looking at their web-site it indicates that it is not available in the U.S.. It looks like the B450 is available here in the states. I have been using a B45 for almost 20 years. I use it to maintain about 5 acres on a regular basis. Although I don't use it everyday it is often put to the task. I seldom use a blade anymore but use an old heavy duty Green Machine bump & feed line head. The only parts that have ever been replaced on this piece of equipment has been a new foam air filter element and a new fuel filter.

I have considered the Shindaiwa b 450. I currently have their top handle saw the 357. It is a great saw but very heavy. The b 450 is 4.5 lbs. heavier than the stihl fs 250 and is $ 180 more. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra weight and money. It may be.

GIZROID said:
The b 450 is 4.5 lbs. heavier than the stihl fs 250 and is $ 180 more. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra weight and money. It may be.
I think that it is. Stihl makes good saws but Shindaiwa makes great brush cutters.

Back