Selling Logs to a firewood buyer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cord is a volume measurement of 128 cubic feet. in the case of a log/pulp cord most weights and measure departments allow for a 10% air gap loss in the solid volume so now you have 115.2 cubic feet. Cut split and stack likely lose another 10% so now you are down to 103.68 cubic feet. Let set for a couple years and shrinkage due to moisture loss is going to take away some more volume so lets say another 10% loss =93.312 cubic feet.
Again in the case of firewood splits most weights and measures departments spec 10% air gap in the volume measurement of 128 cubic feet. I that case with these numbers a tightly stacked cord of split firewood would exceed the actual hard volume of a pulp cord.

I don't know what a "Chord" is but I see it advertised all the time.

I don't know what a "Chord" is but I see it advertised all the time.

I get a chuckle out of it, too. A line between two points on a circle or curve is a chord. So if you split the outside off a round, the split line is a chord.

Start a new trend... "chord split" cordwood for twice the price.

A chord is also a series of musical noted struck all at once. Perhaps they are selling bundles of dismantled wooden piano slabs.;)

Oh Boy, Musical firewood, does it play something else besides Hiss,Snap, Crackel ,Pop? I do know the yelp yelp ( accompanied spiffy flashing colored lights ) sound when a jet engine is taking off in a living room though. Just no end to the fun one can have burning wood.

Back