setting up pressure on splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcuter ms361

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
View attachment 282605Just sitting around thinking I would like to have a little more hyd press on my spliter,I think I have a 16 gpm I got it at TSC 5-6yrs ago,is there a way to set up pressure,I have 18hp,even thought going with a bigger pump,am fairyl good with speed now,thanks

Last edited:
The valve might be adjusted for the bypass pressure, and detent kick-out pressure. Niether of which are going to increase the available tonnage by any large margin. To do that requires replacing the ram with a larger one. Most splitter pumps are around 3 - 3.5 peak psi pressure units in the low flow( around 3 gpm) hi pressure side, You need to look at the specks on your pump. A lot of the time the unit sees less than 1000 psi in the hi flow mode when splitting and the valve might be set for around 1500 psi before by- pass, depends on where the kick down of the pump is. ( at least I think i got that right)

View attachment 282605Just sitting around thinking I would like to have a little more hyd press on my spliter,I think I have a 16 gpm I got it at TSC 5-6yrs ago,is there a way to set up pressure,I have 18hp,even thought going with a bigger pump,am fairyl good with speed now,thanks

That is a 16 GPM pump. Speed is determined by the flow in GPM of the pump and the displacement of the cylinder and the valve must be rated for the pump rating or higher. The overall pressure, and resulting force or tonnage of the splitter is determined by the pressure relief setting on the valve. Most are adjustable but you should have a gauge installed after the pump and before the valve before attempting to adjust it. The pump has a maximum rating but wont reach that if the relief is set too low.
I found some info on your pump on another site:

The hydraulic pump model number 1002211 is difficult to find the specs on because it is specifically built for Speeco by Haldex. I called them today and was told this by Kevin in tech support ( 1-800-525-8322 )

I believe these are the specs for that pump:

First Stage 16 GPM @ 650 PSI Second Stage 3.5 GPM @ 2500 PSI Maximum pressure 3000 PSI

So if you find the relief is set below 2500 you can turn it up.

I think I have a pressure gauge laying around somewhere,when I get a chance will check it,thanks to all for the help!View attachment 282833 going to add a log lift pretty soon,what valve do you fellow's use and where's the best place to get it?again thanks.

Last edited:
You have an Energy directional control valve. The system relief valve is inside of it. Call me with the numbers that are stamped in to the end of the detent cover and I can help you. Hours are 8:00 - 4:30 M-F Central time.
Steve Hansen
Applications Engineer
Energy Manufacturing Co., Inc. /
Williams Machine & Tool Co.
(319)-465-3537 X-402
(319)-465-5279 FAX
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back