Share your stacking (freestanding) technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coachgrd1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In the process of getting my wood cut, split and stacked for my first winter with the wood stove. (The seasoned wood I got my hands on was too long for my stove so I had to cut it down to 16-18.")

A co-worker says his stacks (freestanding) are so tight "you couldn't push them over." He says he uses no stakes on the ends, he just "cobbles" :monkey: the ends of the stack and they're as tight as can be.

Was wondering if some of you who stack your wood without the help of an enclosed structure (or stakes) could share your stacking technique and/or some close ups of your stacks so I can get a better I idea how to stack it neatly without the worry of finding it on the ground some cold winter morn.

I'm just a rookie but damn, I love reading this forum...great stuff.

gary

I use stakes, I tried the criss cross end stacking and it didn't work that well. Most of my firewood comes from fence line trees so I have a ton of unsplit limbs and then big chunks from the trunk which I quit splitting when I think they will fit in the stove. Neither one of these types make good end stacks.
I use 7' t posts and drive them in about 3', they don't move too much unless you start wedging pieces in.

In the process of getting my wood cut, split and stacked for my first winter with the wood stove. (The seasoned wood I got my hands on was too long for my stove so I had to cut it down to 16-18.")

A co-worker says his stacks (freestanding) are so tight "you couldn't push them over." He says he uses no stakes on the ends, he just "cobbles" :monkey: the ends of the stack and they're as tight as can be.

Was wondering if some of you who stack your wood without the help of an enclosed structure (or stakes) could share your stacking technique and/or some close ups of your stacks so I can get a better I idea how to stack it neatly without the worry of finding it on the ground some cold winter morn.

I'm just a rookie but damn, I love reading this forum...great stuff.

gary

I use old steel fenceposts and 1/4" cable. If you want to stack without posts, try using two pallets on each end. One on the ground and one vertical butted up against it. Use some deck screws and 2x4's to keep the vertical in place.

I used to 'chimney stack' the ends. Takes careful selection of the chunks for each layer and needs to have bigger (longer) chunks tieing it back into the stack. Time consuming and an annoyance. I have permanent RR ties with cross bars that I lean 2x4 agains for the ends now. I also built 6' tall 'bookends' out of 1x4 to hold up the ends of the ricks on my 3 season porch for the winter supply.

Harry K

I got sick of pounding the poles into the ground, so I started to stack it by criss-crossing the pieces. You have to use the 2 pieces that are the same hight, otherwise you'll get a leaner. Mine isn't stacked real tight, I did slide smaller pieces into the open spaces, but there is still alot of open area. I figure it will help it dry, or at least coudn't hurt. It takes a bit more space, but that's ok. And the odd shaped ones (y's, knots or limbs) save for the top of each stack. I'll try to get you pictures of mine tonight.

i always stack the wood on pressure treated 4 x 4's to keep it off the ground, then i pound stakes into the ground at the ends. someone gave me some 8 foot 2 x 3 steel tubing so i'm going to try using those this year.

however, i thought of making some "L" shaped steel ends. the lower part of the "L" would be held in place by the wood, so that the higher you stack it, the more weight there is to hold it in place. i figured maybe 6 feet high and 3 feet long , or 4 feet high and 2 feet long...depends.

that way, no pounding holes in the yard and the "L's" would always be used year round.

There really isn't much to it.Just cross stack the ends,been doing it for year.

i always stack the wood on pressure treated 4 x 4's to keep it off the ground, then i pound stakes into the ground at the ends. someone gave me some 8 foot 2 x 3 steel tubing so i'm going to try using those this year.

however, i thought of making some "L" shaped steel ends. the lower part of the "L" would be held in place by the wood, so that the higher you stack it, the more weight there is to hold it in place. i figured maybe 6 feet high and 3 feet long , or 4 feet high and 2 feet long...depends.

that way, no pounding holes in the yard and the "L's" would always be used year round.

I will try for a pic of my wood ones tomorrow. I found them very nice on a level floor or level ground. Not useable on sloping ground...well, they can be used there but it takes some dicking around shimming to get them to sit straight.

Harry K

L's : Great Idea

Great idea...big rep here. Have you tried it yet ?

Our pole woodshed - 16' X 8' - (Google it for plans) takes about 5 cords nearly stacked full to look at continually :clap: . Woodshed is no big deal to build BTW; should have built it larger though. So now the rest of last winter's bucks need some room for free-standing stacking. Usually these free stacks are held up by criss-crossed "RR bridge" ends which take time to do correctly...kind of a PITA :( . Not enough time for micro brews or singing.

Why not use rebar for the "L's" ? I'll give them a try since they bend easily. How about one continuous length , say 8' long bent in U-shaped ends ?

+2 for the idea !! Thx.

Picture058.jpg

I built 4 of these a few years ago. Two of them spent winter before last out in the lot holding up the ends of ricks with no damage. Upright is 1x4" x 6', base is 1x4" x 4", brace is 1x2".
My original design was put together with 'all-purpose (sheetrock type) screws - they failed after about 3 years use. Currant model uses bolts.

I normally use 3 of them on my 3 season porch for the "ready" supply and keep restocking that as needed (usually about end of Jan)

Harry K

Last edited:
i haven't built them yet, logbutcher. it might take a couple tries to see what works best. i had thought of using 1 1/2" angle iron, but then i started giving your idea of rebar some thought to reduce the weight.....

i'll come up with something eventually.

Back