Shaver Improvement Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks John,
I'm not sure what I'm going to yet, I think I'll see what my dealer has to say on trade in, anybody have an opinion on What a fair trade would be? My stove is less than a year old. How much $ to boot for new a 250 would be fair?

All depends... Whats the resale value on a used OWB? The 250 goes for about 5400.00 I think its what I paid for mine.

No.... comes with the $10 comercial hot water heater t-stat. Alot of troubles with those....

Wonder if you could buy them bare bones alot cheaper? basicly just the main part of the boiler? Then again these things are even more barbaric looking without the tin work on. But just the same, wonder if you could save some cash. These boilers need upgrading and you have to foot the bill.

Wonder if you could buy them bare bones alot cheaper? basicly just the main part of the boiler? Then again these things are even more barbaric looking without the tin work on. But just the same, wonder if you could save some cash. These boilers need upgrading and you have to foot the bill.

What the heck do you think they're already selling???

Just a FYI,I unhooked the blower motor on my Shaver today,and tried to run it on the damper only.It didnt work,even with ambient temps of close to 60 degrees,the OWB couldnt maintain 180 with no demand after 2 hours of the Ranco "calling" for hotter water.Within 10 minutes of hooking the blower back up,it was at 183,and satisfied.When the blower was unplugged,the draft ony was pulling pretty good thru the opening,enough to spin the fan motor about as fast as a hamster would spin it walking inside it.

i can't get to it right now, I have the gap under my boiler filled with spray foam, but I want to say it's less than 6" from the front of the boiler to the firts set of legs.

Thanks Fletcher, I hate to even ask this but, could you measure on your 290 how far it is from the front of your stove, to the front of the first foot? I read the 290 has 6 feet. I am trying to figure out if the 290 will fit on my existing cement pad. Thanks

Yoda,after all the issures you'd buy another one?CB has a good rebate right now,and they burn less wood per BTU of heat output.Id never buy a Shaver again,at the price I paid,I'd take it at 1/2 price,but thats about it.

Yoda,after all the issures you'd buy another one?CB has a good rebate right now,and they burn less wood per BTU of heat output.Id never buy a Shaver again,at the price I paid,I'd take it at 1/2 price,but thats about it.

I would never buy a boiler without an ash pan.

Yeah, I'm just weighing my options, I don't like the idea of trying to sell my boiler to some other poor sap. I'll let you guys know what way I end up going, maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

With the ranco stat and $50 in adding insulation, I still like some of the basic things that sold me on the Shaver, grate with forced draft from the bottom, thick firebox, simple design that I can repair myself if needed. The crude look on the outside doesn't bother me.

After a few easy mods, is there really that much difference in any of the non epa stoves, I'm thinking 1-2 cord difference in wood consumption over the course of a winter? When your cutting 12 cord, another cord or two either way isn't that big a deal.

If the new epa stoves get perfected and use half the wood, in 5 years or so maybe I would change to one of those, or ground source heat pump system.

With buying 12 cord every year in 8' lengths I figure my break even point is 3 years, if I cut at least some of the wood from my own property even less.

I was planning on cutting most of it from my property once I get a year or 2 ahead, but with some help, cutting up a semi load (12 cord) delivered in 8' lenghts goes really fast. We did it in a weekend this year.

I would much rather support our local loggers than the arabs.

Anyway I'm sort of rambling, any thoughts, on my thoughts, on not all that much difference in any of the non epa stoves? or am I out in left field?

My friends CB is no more or less efficient than my boiler. He has a hard time burning large green rounds with no blower, and fights with the ash quite a bit. No doubt his is a much nicer looking boiler and seems to be built better. I'd buy one if they added a grate and ash pan.

Ended up getting a Natures Comfort and Love it...Same few qualities that sold me on my first shaver and is built way better. Comes with the blower mod Ranco and is completely powder coated. Only thing is the bottom is not insulated so I plan on exstending the skirt to the slab and insulating it that way.

Ended up getting a Natures Comfort and Love it...Same few qualities that sold me on my first shaver and is built way better. Comes with the blower mod Ranco and is completely powder coated. Only thing is the bottom is not insulated so I plan on exstending the skirt to the slab and insulating it that way.

Fish, What shaver did you have and what NC do you have? Do you notice a difference in operation or mainly cosmetic difference?Did you sell your Shaver yourself?Why?

Latest posts

Back