Shindaiwa Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwoell14

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I went to my local store today with the intentions of buying a Stihl 193T. The guy at the store showed me the equivalent Shindaiwa model and said it was on sale for 20% off. What was suspicious to me is the Shindaiwa shelf was in the corner, nearly empty (Hurricane Irma just hit and this store just got stocked in Stihls and Echo's) and it was 20% off. Anybody have an opinion in these saws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many new echo are shindaiwa design. Good saws. I would probably own one over the 193t. If possible that size saw I would look for the echo 361p or shini version.

Wasn't it you that was upset with ECHO's warranty?

I had to deal with them years ago, and I had to fight with them to get them to do anything. :mad:

You wanted info, gave it to you. Doesn't change my opinion of them.

Shindaiwa and the company that makes Echo, Kioritz merged in 2008. I guess the holdings company is now known as Yamabiko.

Having maintained a fleet of over 100 Echo trimmers, edgers, blowers, chainasaws, etc. I can wholeheartedly say I am unimpressed. Chintzy build quality and appearance as well as a price that is more in line with something nicer. I have since moved on to a different fleet of Stihls and can say I have fewer problems and the initial costs are lower as well. All in all Stihl has quite a bit lower total cost of ownership.

All that said, a pro grade Echo/Shindaiwa would be great for a homeowner if you can get a good sale price on them.

Shindaiwa and the company that makes Echo, Kioritz merged in 2008. I guess the holdings company is now known as Yamabiko.

Having maintained a fleet of over 100 Echo trimmers, edgers, blowers, chainasaws, etc. I can wholeheartedly say I am unimpressed. Chintzy build quality and appearance as well as a price that is more in line with something nicer. I have since moved on to a different fleet of Stihls and can say I have fewer problems and the initial costs are lower as well. All in all Stihl has quite a bit lower total cost of ownership.

All that said, a pro grade Echo/Shindaiwa would be great for a homeowner if you can get a good sale price on them.

Interesting !

Thanks!!

Im not impressed by lower grade Stihl and did not say I was.

I am comparing Pro to Pro. In the area I was in, and with the deals the different dealers were running. Stihl cost less to purchase initially and less down the line.

I forgot to mention, I own personally an Echo PB-770 and an SRM-255 so I am not calling them junk. They have the appearance and feel of something lesser made though and like I said, their prices did not coincide with that. On that note though, if you shop around you can get pretty good deals on Echo.

I am not calling pro Echo equipment only good for homeowners either. My last sentence of my previous post may have eluded to that but I was referring back to the OP and that a pro grade Echo would be good for a homeowner but I would shy away from anything below pro grade.

Im not impressed by lower grade Stihl and did not say I was.

I am comparing Pro to Pro. In the area I was in, and with the deals the different dealers were running. Stihl cost less to purchase initially and less down the line.

I forgot to mention, I own personally an Echo PB-770 and an SRM-255 so I am not calling them junk. They have the appearance and feel of something lesser made though and like I said, their prices did not coincide with that. On that note though, if you shop around you can get pretty good deals on Echo.

I am not calling pro Echo equipment only good for homeowners either. My last sentence of my previous post may have eluded to that but I was referring back to the OP and that a pro grade Echo would be good for a homeowner but I would shy away from anything below pro grade.

Echo home owner or Pro are still the same when it comes to parts and warranty... sparse parts and a warranty that is useless. I can only speak from what I and many other dealers have gone through to get Echo to honor their warranty.

I used the Stihl MS193 yesterday to take big limbs out of a water oak. I was impressed with that little guy.

Yesterday I got to run an Echo CS-500P all day limbing up tree tops on the ground. Other than the 20" bar that was on it, it was a capable and handy saw. I would have preferred an 18" bar for this saw as that is what I believe to be the practical maximum size on 50cc class saws. It looked pretty new.

All in all I was pleased but once again, not impressed. I am not a huge fan of the toggle style on/off switch. In rare instances I have heard these can malfunction and give you a jolt as you turn the saw off. Even though it is placed in what would seem to be an ergonomic location, I always found I had to remove my hand from the handle entirely to turn it off.

The starting mechanism was smooth and comfortable to operate.

It seemed to fluctuate where it wanted to idle throughout the day too. I had to make several idle adjustments in both directions to either keep it from shutting off because it was so low or having it high idle and spin the chain. Do not know what the deal is with that. The idle adjusting screw never spun on its own, the saw just decided it wanted to idle differently. Like I said, it was a nearly new saw. Getting air leaks already? Either way it did not make me think I needed to stop using it but this could prove frustrating or even dangerous for the average homeowner.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The 193T is an impressive saw for its price. I remember going to the Stihl dealer a little bit after Matthew and it was the only saw they had. I bought it, an extra bar, and 5 chains for it for under 500 out the door. I made that same purchase 3 more times in the coming month because they were such a big hit with our limbing crews we had out at the time. They are not an MS200 or 201 but for 200 less, they are a great value.

Yesterday I got to run an Echo CS-500P all day limbing up tree tops on the ground. Other than the 20" bar that was on it, it was a capable and handy saw. I would have preferred an 18" bar for this saw as that is what I believe to be the practical maximum size on 50cc class saws. It looked pretty new.

All in all I was pleased but once again, not impressed. I am not a huge fan of the toggle style on/off switch. In rare instances I have heard these can malfunction and give you a jolt as you turn the saw off. Even though it is placed in what would seem to be an ergonomic location, I always found I had to remove my hand from the handle entirely to turn it off.

The starting mechanism was smooth and comfortable to operate.

It seemed to fluctuate where it wanted to idle throughout the day too. I had to make several idle adjustments in both directions to either keep it from shutting off because it was so low or having it high idle and spin the chain. Do not know what the deal is with that. The idle adjusting screw never spun on its own, the saw just decided it wanted to idle differently. Like I said, it was a nearly new saw. Getting air leaks already? Either way it did not make me think I needed to stop using it but this could prove frustrating or even dangerous for the average homeowner.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The 193T is an impressive saw for its price. I remember going to the Stihl dealer a little bit after Matthew and it was the only saw they had. I bought it, an extra bar, and 5 chains for it for under 500 out the door. I made that same purchase 3 more times in the coming month because they were such a big hit with our limbing crews we had out at the time. They are not an MS200 or 201 but for 200 less, they are a great value.

Why 5 chains? You don't sharpen yours? I'm new to saws, just curious and trying to learn.

Back