Shop that sends chain saws overseas......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>I'm sick of the way we get ripped off in this country for most things compared to our overseas counterpart
true!! and it is with everything :bang:
when i found out about the saw, i did some more research.

i ordered the MS260. here it has 48.7cc, in the US it has 50.2cc.
......strange how the smaller version has 2.6KW and the larger one 2.4KW.

i am thinking about a lumpy cam for my engine.
here in AUS the cam package incl. cam, single springs, push rods and online tune costs AU$2195 + shipping.
in USA it is US$425 with better dual springs, better rods + tune + shipping.
got to think hard about this one :laugh:

got another package from the US today with face masks.
they costs less than half price and even the @#@#% shipping from the US was half the price you would pay here.
mind you, the masks you can not even buy here, only the lower quality ones.

this is sooooo depressing................

Last edited:
I think it's sad ( for me ) that you can get a saw shipped to australia for $100!!!!!

I got a c5 shipped from steve foss , who doesn't live that far from the canadian border as far as I can tell, and it was $74 or something stupid. $100 to the other side of the world sounds like a hell of a deal to me.
Lots of good things about living in canada, but the post office ain't one of them....usually two to three weeks to get a saw from the U.S.
One good thing, our dollar is nearly at par with the u.s dollar, that helps.The exchange rate was 40% for a lot of years...ouch

I think it's sad ( for me ) that you can get a saw shipped to australia for $100!!!!!

I got a c5 shipped from steve foss , who doesn't live that far from the canadian border as far as I can tell, and it was $74 or something stupid. $100 to the other side of the world sounds like a hell of a deal to me.
Lots of good things about living in canada, but the post office ain't one of them....usually two to three weeks to get a saw from the U.S.
One good thing, our dollar is nearly at par with the u.s dollar, that helps.The exchange rate was 40% for a lot of years...ouch

My 390XPG cost USD$135 but that included insurance, my first 7900 was USD$115 and my 5100-S was USD$105. I envy the efficiency of the US postal system. You guys actually have a few carriers and COMPETITION. We only have Australia Post which is hopeless and expensive by comparison. I have a lot of .050" GB Aussie made bars in stock and have had a lot of enquiries from the US about buying some. I've given up now as the postage more than doubles the bar cost. Competely different when a bar is sent from the US to Australia.
I receive gear from the US generally within a week. It takes two weeks at least to get something back there. Australia Post must use donkeys or something...

I got a c5 shipped from steve foss , who doesn't live that far from the canadian border as far as I can tell, and it was $74 or something stupid.

Chris, I about #### a bucket of rubber nickels when I saw how much it would be to ship that saw to you. I'm 10 miles from Canada as the crow flies. But, you know, it's more about the strange and roundabout policies routing through Washington, D.C., and Ottawa than it is about actual distance.

I know that only $100 shipping to Oz when it's $75 shipping to Canada isn't much consolation prize when being gouged on actual retail pricing. Oz: Where ya gotta REALLY want a Stihl to buy one! :bang:

My 390XPG cost USD$135 but that included insurance, my first 7900 was USD$115 and my 5100-S was USD$105. I envy the efficiency of the US postal system. You guys actually have a few carriers and COMPETITION. We only have Australia Post which is hopeless and expensive by comparison. I have a lot of .050" GB Aussie made bars in stock and have had a lot of enquiries from the US about buying some. I've given up now as the postage more than doubles the bar cost. Competely different when a bar is sent from the US to Australia.
I receive gear from the US generally within a week. It takes two weeks at least to get something back there. Australia Post must use donkeys or something...
Same situation in canada...no competition. Canada post is a crown corporation owned by the government`so can charge what they want. I got a small box of parts shipped to me from a member in mississippi, and it cost him $5 to send it. About a month later, i recycled the box to ship a small part to a member in virginia and it cost me almost $12 to send it back.....WTF?
Chris, I about #### a bucket of rubber nickels when I saw how much it would be to ship that saw to you. I'm 10 miles from Canada as the crow flies. But, you know, it's more about the strange and roundabout policies routing through Washington, D.C., and Ottawa than it is about actual distance.

I know that only $100 shipping to Oz when it's $75 shipping to Canada isn't much consolation prize when being gouged on actual retail pricing. Oz: Where ya gotta REALLY want a Stihl to buy one! :bang:

Yup, bang on Steve, you really really really gotta need one, thats crazy.

The shipping on my saw didn't surprise me until i saw how close to ontario you were, but then again distance doesn't seem to matter, as long as it crosses the border...look out. I got a p40 sent from Maine, which is about a 4 hour drive and it was $63 or something crazy.

;)

Problem is that people have been conditioned by Stihl to be basically overcharged. In some ways it is very savvy marketing. There are some very very sharp pricing on other Stihl components (such as bars and chains) from some dealers in some areas but nobody seems to be able to whip out any whiz bang in your face pricing on saws.

Same situation in canada...no competition. Canada post is a crown corporation owned by the government`so can charge what they want.

Australia Post is exactly the same, government owned :bang:

I mean why the hell wouldn't you import stuff? He saved a quick AUD$9,000 and the outboard in question has an activated worldwide warranty.

Why wouldn't he?
Because overthrowing the government would be better than finding ways to work around it?
I'm serious. Ours is flirting with that point, but yours seems to already be far past saving, just pitch it in the trashbin and start over.

Why wouldn't he?
Because overthrowing the government would be better than finding ways to work around it?
I'm serious. Ours is flirting with that point, but yours seems to already be far past saving, just pitch it in the trashbin and start over.

There are a lot of issues here but we are still pretty lucky when it comes to a lot of things. The problem with Australia is we spend too much time kissing other countries' arses in regard to trade yet get nothing in return most of the time.

There are a lot of issues here but we are still pretty lucky when it comes to a lot of things. The problem with Australia is we spend too much time kissing other countries' arses in regard to trade yet get nothing in return most of the time.

amen from canada...

It's the same here sometimes, believe it or not. Especially when it comes to mainland China, which for the past decade or two has been the 600 lb gorilla in the room internationally.

I would not buy a MS200T as a firewood saw, stick with the 260, the top handle saw is no good for bucking up some firewood, even the rear handle version wont be that great for what you want to do. The 260 is going to be better all around for you. The 200 is just too small for firewood duty.

A certain US/Australia Free trade Agreement comes to mind that Bonsai pushed and signed........ :censored:

Last edited:
A certain US/Australia Free trade Agreement comes to mind that Bonsai pushed and signed........ :censored:

Yup :) Australia signed a deal with China a few years back regarding the export of apples. We'd take their crap and they'd take our apples. All looked good, apple growers rejoiced ;) Until all of a sudden, China found excuse after excuse not to take our apples. Last I heard not one apple had reached the shores of China but we'd had shiploads of their sh*t make it here. It happens all the time. Korea and Japan are the same (although what they send us isn't as shi*ty as China!). They ALWAYS have reason to di*k us around...

Yup :) Australia signed a deal with China a few years back regarding the export of apples. We'd take their crap and they'd take our apples. All looked good, apple growers rejoiced ;) Until all of a sudden, China found excuse after excuse not to take our apples. Last I heard not one apple had reached the shores of China but we'd had shiploads of their sh*t make it here. It happens all the time. Korea and Japan are the same (although what they send us isn't as shi*ty as China!). They ALWAYS have reason to di*k us around...
i saw a report a few months ago and they were saying that china has
planted more apple trees - some time ago - than the whole of europe
has.
could that be the reason of them not wanting more apples ? :cheers:

what was the subject again ............. ;)

Back