Should I buy this 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a great idea, don’t exactly have anyway to do. I suppose I can figure that out when the time comes.
:rock:

Yeah you do- is called your arm and hand.
Pick up the saw by just the starter handle, if it falls down the rope fast- low compression.
If it falls slow and goes "thonk" on each crank rotation to compression stroke- high compression.
You can buy the gauge later.

Extremely appreciate everyone’s replies, I think I’m going to stay away from that 066 as I don’t absolutely need a saw that big. I’m thinking when I sell my 100th cord I’ll go buy a shiny Swedish 372 if I can find one, or a 462. Very informative everyone.
Thanks again
Do it man, go get a brand new 462. I got a new 461 a few months ago (almost got a 462, but wanted analog). The older I get, the more I understand that you don't always save much buying old stuff, especially if your time is worth anything to you. What's ~$600 in the scheme of things?

edit: don't let anyone tell you you don't need that much saw because of the trees in your area. I'm not an arborist either. A 462 isn't too much saw for anyone in my opinion. Can you fall a 26" tree with a smaller saw and a 18" bar? sure. Is it easier, and safer (with a bar that you don't have to make each cut from both sides of the tree)? For me it is. Again, I'm not a pro. Then, bucking it.. well worth it to me to have a saw that size.

Yeah you do- is called your arm and hand.
Pick up the saw by just the starter handle, if it falls down the rope fast- low compression.
If it falls slow and goes "thonk" on each crank rotation to compression stroke- high compression.
You can buy the gauge later.

OR the pulley/rotor jams slightly and compression is still low

There is one- well the one used for the 064 anyhow- involves a home made bracket and @L34 loves explaining it to people. :p
I rebuilt one a couple of years ago where the bearing cage had come apart and the flywheel was beating the ignition module. The "dealer" just kept cranking down on the screws until he stripped them out. I replaced the bearings and tapped the ignition screws 12-24 , enough meat to hold. I suppose you can do anything if you want to. I would be more inclined on the 064. Plenty of versions of the 066/MS660 without dealing with it.

................. I’m thinking when I sell my 100th cord I’ll go buy a shiny Swedish 372 if I can find one,.............
Thanks again
Ok I have to ask and I mean this in the nicest way but why are you waiting? I fully understand lack of funds and wanting to sell more wood before spending more money BUT ......you were just asking if you should make a 500 mile round trip to spend $400 on a used 066. Yes it is possible the guy would have dropped his price a bit but if I was the seller I sure would not. If I knew someone was coming 500 miles to "look" at a $400 item I would not drop the price a penny. If they are serious enough to make the drive they are serious enough to spend the cash. Now I have no idea how you value your time but as others pointed out that drive is 10 hours in total. If you are selling firewood you cold be spending that time making money. Just using $15/hr there is $15o in costs. Now think about fuel. If you drive a Prius great but I doubt you do so at 25 miles to the gallon and $4 a gallon you would have spent $80 in fuel. If your vehicle gets less mileage then more money. Any truck I have ever owned got no better than 15 miles/gallon so it would have cost me $133. So lets look at the total ($400+$150+$80)=$630. Now some will say that is still OK for that saw and I am in no way disagreeing with them. What I am puzzled by is the fact that you indicated you wanted to buy a new 372 (which is a fine saw). Are you aware they are currently available delivered to your doorstep for ABOUT $845. I can say personally if I was in your situation (had the needs it appears you have) that I would drive 500 miles and spend $630 in total cost on a used 066 when for $215 more a very nice NEW 372 can be dropped at my door. If it is only the $215 that is holding you back then I am sure you can figure out a way to accomplish getting it. I love the 066 but I can tell you if all I am doing is cutting firewood I would be going with a new 372. I have 660's, 395's, and tons of other similar sized saws and I can assure you they are not my go-to for normal firewood cutting. One of my favorites have always been the 044 class saws but I do not even have one now since the neighbor kid stole my 440 for drug money. I have other 70 cc just not any 044/046 class saws. In any event if you can swing it get a 372 and do not regret it.

Bill

Ok I have to ask and I mean this in the nicest way but why are you waiting? I fully understand lack of funds and wanting to sell more wood before spending more money BUT ......you were just asking if you should make a 500 mile round trip to spend $400 on a used 066. Yes it is possible the guy would have dropped his price a bit but if I was the seller I sure would not. If I knew someone was coming 500 miles to "look" at a $400 item I would not drop the price a penny. If they are serious enough to make the drive they are serious enough to spend the cash. Now I have no idea how you value your time but as others pointed out that drive is 10 hours in total. If you are selling firewood you cold be spending that time making money. Just using $15/hr there is $15o in costs. Now think about fuel. If you drive a Prius great but I doubt you do so at 25 miles to the gallon and $4 a gallon you would have spent $80 in fuel. If your vehicle gets less mileage then more money. Any truck I have ever owned got no better than 15 miles/gallon so it would have cost me $133. So lets look at the total ($400+$150+$80)=$630. Now some will say that is still OK for that saw and I am in no way disagreeing with them. What I am puzzled by is the fact that you indicated you wanted to buy a new 372 (which is a fine saw). Are you aware they are currently available delivered to your doorstep for ABOUT $845. I can say personally if I was in your situation (had the needs it appears you have) that I would drive 500 miles and spend $630 in total cost on a used 066 when for $215 more a very nice NEW 372 can be dropped at my door. If it is only the $215 that is holding you back then I am sure you can figure out a way to accomplish getting it. I love the 066 but I can tell you if all I am doing is cutting firewood I would be going with a new 372. I have 660's, 395's, and tons of other similar sized saws and I can assure you they are not my go-to for normal firewood cutting. One of my favorites have always been the 044 class saws but I do not even have one now since the neighbor kid stole my 440 for drug money. I have other 70 cc just not any 044/046 class saws. In any event if you can swing it get a 372 and do not regret it.

Bill
That was a Mouthful and well worded.

Latest posts

Back