Should I keep my saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creami

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm reposting this question here in the proper forum. In true noob fashion I posted in the wrong place, so my apologies!

So, I just bought an Echo CS400 saw yesterday but am thinking I made a wrong choice. Maybe I should sell it and get the Still MS250 instead. Its quite a bit more expensive though. After reading so many opposing articles on each I figured I would ask you good folks here. So, what do you think?

Thanks!

The answer is totally dependent on what you expect to do with your saw.

Hi sqaure1, thanks. I will be using it to cut tree limbs in my yard, occasionall base cut of medium sized trees. And a few neighbors trees as well. For the branches that are high up I have had really good results using a really good pruning saw. I am actually amazed at how quick it slices through wood! So yeah, just some tree branches here and there. And a base cut every great once and a while. Sorry so long winded.

The Echo is not a bad saw, don't let anyone tell you different. They both weigh about the same but the Stihl has a little over 10% more displacement which will result in a bit more power. I would say that they are both in a similar class.

Like square1 said it all depends on what you want to do with the saw. If your intentions are to do some cleanup around the yard then either saw will work. If you want to do commercial tree work then, well... neither is a good choice.

I think the echo will be a fine saw for you.

Hey thanks for the advice. No where near commercial work use with this. From what I understand a ms260/261 is where stihl starts the pro grade line but those are like 600 dollars! Im just going to keep this I guess.

Pull the muffler remove the cat open exhaust port remove limiters and it will out perform most saw in the next size saw.
And be safer.That Catalytic Muffler needs to be watched.Super bad to get burned on.A regular Muffler Sucks but when you Accidentally touch the muffler on the 400 it cooks you to the bone in a matter of a split second.Not only that but when refueling make sure to let it set a Minimum of 2 Minutes and watch cutting dead wood with the bark on it.I sold Mine to a Friend of mine AFTER i cooked my pinky.we were out cutting wood out of fence rows.by the end of the day he had a Dead Locust on fire.Not to scare you it is a Good Saw but in my eye's the EPA is causing some safety Hazards.

If you are having buyers remorse I suggest go pick up the Sithl also and test both of them if the echo has a good return satisfaction policy like Stihl does. Stihl has the 7 day return if not satisfied , but check with your dealer first before walking out the door with it to make sure it is the 7 days like it is here.

Thanks for all this folks. Its very helpful to me. I will think on it still. I think picking up the stihl and doing a side by side would be a good idea. I'll come back when I do and let everyone know. It might be a week or so but I'll be back!

Either will serve you well enough. I've used a 250 and they are a tough saw. The only thing that turns me against the Echo is the CAT muffler (which I didn't know it had but will accede to Jugger on that one). If it's an easy fix to remove the CAT part (I think this saw might be easy, though CATs are usually a pain to remove) I wouldn't worry about it.

I have used an Echo 520 in logging and arb work in England. I have literally thrown it around and have also had a tree fall on it - it would not die. I used an MS250 for a summer in Oregon on a ranch, and it began to fall apart. It was a strong saw, but the AV mounts are weak and it can't take the punishment the Echo's can.

Almost everyone hot rods their saws a little. The reason is that they will last longer and work better. By gutting the cat, your saw will breathe better, run cooler and let the engine perform it's function as an air pump better. It will be louder. That is good or bad depending on your point of view... What HAS to happen if you open your exhaust, is that the carburetor must be re-adjusted. If not then you will likely lean seize you new saw. Don't do one without the other.

With a saw of that size, the very most important thing is going to be the chain. (true for any size saw I guess). It has to be kept sharp. That is no doubt why your pruning saw works so well too. Sharp tools work awesome. As you get more experience, look into replacement chains that have fewer safety features. They will often cut faster than what came on the saw.

The 400 I de catted a few week weeks ago was Actually getting hot enough to start cooking black goop on the exhaust side of the piston.No Damage just Goop got me to wondering when the melt down was going to start.

yep,,, it is easy to take the cat out,,, the 370 I had I cut many many cords of wood with it and it never failed to start and run,,, the 400 is 1 step up from the 370,,, it will run for years if you take decent care of it,,, now if it was me I would take the 400 over the 250,,, I rebuilt a 250 for a friend of mine a couple of years ago and he has run the piss out of it and it is still going strong,, for me I know the echos real well and since it is cheaper that's why I am saying the echo

Don't bother with the Stihl, Echo makes a better saw in this class at a better price. But even if you don't choose to gut the muffler, pull those limiter tabs and richen up the H needle. They usually come set lean from the factory. Mine was fine during warmer weather but when it got colder I noticed it was running lean. So I pulled the tabs with a drywall screw and turned the H out about half a turn and she runs like a champ now. If you are comfortable with running a saw, put a loop of 91vxl on it. That chain cuts very well but it's a bit grabby!

Latest posts

Back