Should I keep my saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to read up on pulling the cat and retuning the saw because I have absolutely no idea where I would even begin. This is something I would really like to learn though. It's good to fiddle with and learn your saw! Could anyone give a possible youtube link or something on the procedure? Is this something that a beginner should be able to do?

They're both great saws. I'm a Stihl man. That being said, keep the Echo. They make great saws. As mentioned however, the mufflers are terrible. I have a 400 and I couldn't believe how much the muffler weighed. Just for chits and grins, someone shoul weights stock one.

One other thing, make sure you're saw is running rich enough. A few years ago, I remember some posts about many new saws being sold tuned too lean. This was due, in part at least, to the plastic limiters on the hi and lo speed needles on the carb. This may have been addressed by Echo since then.

I agree with those that suggest keeping it. Echo makes good saws.

Get some good chains for it and remove the cat. I posted a thread about removing the cat on a cs310. It's the same for a 370 and I assume all small echos with cats.

So it seems the muffler mod is a very good idea but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable doing the muffler mod myself. Its generous of you jughead but I would like to see if I can maybe find someone locally to help. I called a repair shop by where I live and they told me they wouldn't even attempt it.

If anyones around here in Phoenix who knows how to do this I would definitely pay for your services.

The muffler mod isn't really necessary, IMO. If your just going to use the saw for occasional cleanup and cutting firewood I wouldn't bother with it personally. I like how mine runs without being modded. I could see doing it if you were running the saw often or using it for limbing, where throttle response and holding higher RPMs is important.

Nobody's yet mentioned how the Stihl has bar studs that thread into plastic chassis. Of course, nothing could go wrong with that. What are they publishing now for power output? Last I saw, it was 3 hp. Funny how my RedMax GZ4000, at 2.4 hp rating, could do circles around friends 250. He said as much: "Joke." Gotta guess they're happy so long as people keep buying them.

So it seems the muffler mod is a very good idea but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable doing the muffler mod myself. Its generous of you jughead but I would like to see if I can maybe find someone locally to help. I called a repair shop by where I live and they told me they wouldn't even attempt it.

If anyones around here in Phoenix who knows how to do this I would definitely pay for your services.
Oh yeah full fledged shops won't do it.Dont care to do it one bit.$5 here and $5 back.1-2 day turn around.doesn't take 30 minutes to do it but sometimes have to take care of the elders in my family.

Nobody's yet mentioned how the Stihl has bar studs that thread into plastic chassis. Of course, nothing could go wrong with that. What are they publishing now for power output? Last I saw, it was 3 hp. Funny how my RedMax GZ4000, at 2.4 hp rating, could do circles around friends 250. He said as much: "Joke." Gotta guess they're happy so long as people keep buying them.
You know i have noticed that.

Personally I wouldn't even consider a Stihl unless it's a pro grade. Their homeowner and even mid-grade saws are substantially overpriced, IMO. I have picked up and handled saws like the 170, 251, 271, etc. in the local shops and they all feel plasticky and not well built. The plastic looks and feels like the cheap, brittle kind too...not the high tensile resins used in Huskies and Echos that seem to be of much higher quality.

Yeap got the same feeling from a ms311 that was grenade when i bought it.i think the bearing cages were made from plastic made from corn or something.they vaporized.wasn't any melted plastic any where just loose balls bouncing around all over the place.

i have had neither saw , but i have run both. i say keep the es400.

if you need more power just buy a echo cs590 timberwolf -a pro saw in "farmowner" clothing.

-i think they may still be on sale for $399-- it smokes all the homeowner saws in know of.

mine runs so hard i'm thinking of trying it out with my 24" bar and chain, and it is bone stock.

and besides the cs-400 and cs-590 makes a great two saw "plan" -- LOL!

Yeap got the same feeling from a ms311 that was grenade when i bought it.i think the bearing cages were made from plastic made from corn or something.they vaporized.wasn't any melted plastic any where just loose balls bouncing around all over the place.

Yup, that was another model I handled and it just seemed like the quality wasn't there despite the $500-600+ pricetag.

Really from all of the saws I have handled all of my life the 311 made a mini mac look like a sherman tank.mcculloch would have went out of business 40 years prior if they had made any of the stihl consumer saws thats available now.hate to say it but the truth is the truth.

I'm reposting this question here in the proper forum. In true noob fashion I posted in the wrong place, so my apologies!

So, I just bought an Echo CS400 saw yesterday but am thinking I made a wrong choice. Maybe I should sell it and get the Still MS250 instead. Its quite a bit more expensive though. After reading so many opposing articles on each I figured I would ask you good folks here. So, what do you think?

Thanks!
Welcome to AS. Now that you're here, I vote for sending the muffler to Jughead and letting him remove the cat for you. My second vote is for buying a Granberg or similar filing jig that will make it easier for you to get and keep your chain extremely sharp. The sharp chain is the difference between a saw that is fun to operate and one that is a chore to use. My third vote would be for a fast-tach, but that' s for later on....

I'm now considering an ms260. If the Echo cs400 is a lot more saw than the ms250, how would you say it stacks up against the ms260? I would rather have more than I need rather than too little. They are quite a bit more money, and I would be pushing the limit but I might be able to fudge the ms260 into the game. Plus I have a Still dealer litteraly a few miles from my house.

Sorry for the ongoing questions.

So morphing the thread a bit. Echo cs400 or ms260 which would you choose?

For me it would be either one.I like the ms260.Slightly heavier but 10 more cc's for a comparison a 500p would be an apple to apple comparison to the 260.For me I would rather go with the echo CS500p.Used the 260's and like them but the echo is just different.

An ms260 is a nice saw and I think would work well for you. It is a pro series saw, fairly light, good performance and nimble. Yes, the Stihl will have better resale value than most other brands. If I was in your situation right now there is a NEW/ with warranty Echo cs500p here on AS in the trading post that would be my choice between the two.
Excellent performance, good filtration qualities, effective anti vibe, great warranty and overall nice working saws------that cs500 would be mine. Thats my opinion.

Latest posts

Back