Should I Stop Using a File to Sharpen Chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is difficult to go through a chain and not get some teeth hot. I used to use a spray bottle in one hand while running the grinder with another. It was a small pressurized tank that could be filled with compressed air with a mixture of lubricant and water. Thanks

But you don't get the feedback of the sizzling sound from your whet cloth if you're too hot, and you don't get that effective cooling. Thanks too sir.

The dude at www.razzorsharp.com does an outstanding job at sharpening. Even though I can hand-sharpen, and I have all the correct gear, doesn't mean I frequently hand sharpen. Hell, I even have a Timberline rig that does an outstanding job. I find it simpler to send a bunch of chains to RazzorSharp for third-party sharpening. For my falling and cutting, I prefer to bring 2-3 chains and swap-out instead of sharpening. I need to clean out the bar groove anyway, so a chain swap is no big deal. I don't make my living falling and cutting, so I'm always evaluating the time it takes me to do something vs. having another trusted source provide the service. Sometimes I'm a "Doer". Sometimes I'm a "Payer".

Just because "I can" doesn't mean "I will". Much of my sharpening gear is waaaay under-used.

JQ

Back