Should I upgrade to the BR700

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Coming from the BR600.....I just saw the 700 today so I'm debating this. The 600 has been perfect, but always looking for more power or volume to move more leaves.

Looking at the specs, granted the CFM is significantly more, but with the airspeed down...I don't know, I don't want to move a huge pile of leaves less of a distance.....I would rather use the velocity to push them through any entanglements.

I guess clearing out behind bushes and such, the higher airspeed comes into play, almost 40 mph less airspeed is quite a lot, unless the much higher CFM makes up for it.

I haven't seen any side by side tests in regards to leaves, any input appreciated.

In my world, air speed trumps volume nearly every time. I have more problems breaking debris free than moving that debris after it has become free. I'm not sure what problem Stihl was trying to solve with this offering. Same cc engine, same power, heavier weight, less air speed but more volume. It was like they just reversed the trade-offs of air speed and volume between the two in the hopes that a consumer would think there was a significant difference when the reality is the differences are close to negligible....other than the added weight..."and higher price.o_O

I have found, the average professional use buyer will just buy the biggest and most powerful blowers they can. If a dealer or manufacturer tells them it's the most powerful they will generally go for it. They don't compare specs and build compromises. They just see the highest number in the model designation and go for that one regardless of price. In their eyes, and they are right to think this way, the faster a blower will work for them, the more money they will make. This philosophy holds true for blowers a little more so than the other typical small equipment landscapers use.

This is just a general observation. A knowledgeable and ethical sales staff can steer a buyer to the best value.

I know that CFM is what I need to move leaves with authority, but I would have liked to hear that the tip speed was around 190 ish MPH, not 160 ish. Maybe the engine is more than capable of driving the larger fan, but obviously something had to give. I understand there is a different tip you can use for added velocity/narrower angle but not sure of the specs.

An 80CC motor, 1000 CFM, and 190 MPH... while approaching smaller walk behind unit specs, shouldn't be that hard to manufacture.

Two things: Will the deal let you demo one? Also can you could put a more narrow tip on blower tube that would increase air speed at ground level.

I know that CFM is what I need to move leaves with authority, but I would have liked to hear that the tip speed was around 190 ish MPH, not 160 ish. Maybe the engine is more than capable of driving the larger fan, but obviously something had to give. I understand there is a different tip you can use for added velocity/narrower angle but not sure of the specs.

An 80CC motor, 1000 CFM, and 190 MPH... while approaching smaller walk behind unit specs, shouldn't be that hard to manufacture.

Supposedly there is an Echo offering in the works that is pretty close to those numbers...

Anxiously waiting for leaves to fall so I can try out my new to me Shindaiwa EB802rt. Muffler modded with a chinese carb. It is turning 7700K. That is still rich enough to occasionally four stroke. I haven't got up the nerve to lean it out. MSRP for eb802rt is $529 but I believe a local dealer sells for $479 new.

While I haven't used a br700 yet, generally this trade off of velocity for volume is best used together. I.E. A br600 side by side with a br700. The high velocity model being used to "scrub" wet stuck down debris loose and the high volume model used to keep it all lifted and moving along. I've done this quite a bit with Redmax 75xx and 85xx series. Care must be taken to keep debris out of the intake for the fans, but man can two guys ever move a lot this way. Put the piles in windrows then come back with a mower and use the deck as a pusher to move the piles to the street for pick up.

I don't see why they don't come out with a blower with two seperate tubes for right and left hand. Make it so one is high mph and the other is cfm. 100cc driving two seperate impellers maybe? I don't know if you could build the air needed if it was just a single impleller with two outlets in the housing.

I believe there is a reducer to provide a more narrow pattern as well as increase airspeed...but I'm after the 50% increase in CFM.

I would like to see what Echo offers, but can't find anything.

I think a 100 cc pack would be nice but then you get into the unit trying to torque under not only load, but from the opposite direction of airflow. The BR600 already has a slight push backwards bit not an issue.

I think the motor in the 600 and 700 is capable, the 600's impeller prob doesn't give it much of a workout, I could be wrong. I bet the 700 with just a slightly choked off nozzle would work great but that's speculation.

My dealer didn't have a demo avail, maybe when they have more in but not now.

My redone EB802RT is able to turn my body. If I relax my body, the pack will try to turn me around. I would like to try it with roller skates!...

Funny, I didn't like the BR600 because it torqued on my back in the direction the motor spins. And the 8500 seemed to be so powerful as to push my arm around while I was holding on to it.

Same engine, but 50% more volume. Seems the 700 is the model they should have made when the 600 came out....the difference of the 600 over the 550 was minimal.

I'm going to look for a dealer that has one to demo. Definitely not going to sell the 600 before using a 700....I do love my 600 as well.

Anxiously waiting for leaves to fall so I can try out my new to me Shindaiwa EB802rt. Muffler modded with a chinese carb. It is turning 7700K. That is still rich enough to occasionally four stroke. I haven't got up the nerve to lean it out. MSRP for eb802rt is $529 but I believe a local dealer sells for $479 new.

You will enjoy your Shindaiwa blower, I have one and it is great. I think it has 79cc engine, and a big tank to hold the fuel cause it is a little thristy but you get good CFMs from the device.

Same engine, but 50% more volume. Seems the 700 is the model they should have made when the 600 came out....the difference of the 600 over the 550 was minimal.

I'm going to look for a dealer that has one to demo. Definitely not going to sell the 600 before using a 700....I do love my 600 as well.
It takes both velocity and volume. They dropped the ball on the velocity. Bottom line, it only generates 3 more Newtons of blowing force...35 vs 32. I'll take the lighter blower with the greater velocity.

BTW, it's 35% more volume, not 50%. But velocity is 20% greater on the 600.

I agree, based on numbers....I really can use that added MPH over the CFM. I think the extra CFM will come in handy but the loss in velocity will have its problems.

With regards to CFM, you're correct, I thought I read the 600 with low 600's for CFM not 677.

Ask the dealer to try one out. I have sold several and I can tell you it is selling well. Mind you the BR600 is the clear choice of the landscapers we deal with, I have one that never had the valves adjusted and once they were done, its quite a machine. I need to padded straps but shes a runner. I did hear someone saying that the 700 could move a zero turn battery on pavement. :surprised3:

I've used the low hour BR600 I rebuilt a bit, and it is a nice light powerhouse. Not sure I'd want to take a loss in velocity for cfm, but the new numbers are impressive.

With that said I'm still not a fan of the design, cheaply made IMHO, but they are very nice to operate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back