SIL's boyfriend wants to borrow a saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonny Quest
I had a bad experience loaning my 353 out to a good friend. He is a good guy...even though he is an engineer. I told him that I needed the saw the next day for some work around my house. When he didn't bring it back I called. His response was: "Oh don't worrry about coming over to get it...I just need to clean it up a bit and then I'll bring it right over."

My spidey-senses started to tingle.

So I politely tell him that I'm on my way over anyway. When I get there, the saw looked like he had been digging post holes with it. I've never seen a saw that looked so filthy and abused. I said nothing, took the saw and left.

I have a Poulan 42cc unit that was a "freebee" that I loan out. If they need a bigger saw (and they are good enough friends) then I go cut for them. I don't plan on loaning my Huskys out again.

ericjeeper

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
never loan a tool

To any tool that cannot afford to replace it..I have this bulldozer.A friend of mine loaned it to me 5 years ago when I pushed out the pad to build my house.. It went back to him in as good or better condition. When he picked it up.. He sold it to his step brother.His step brother went through it.Fixed lights and charging system, new leading edge, a few bearings and last but not least new paint.Well the guy got hard up for IRS money..My friend bought it back.He wanted to bring it over for me to use to skid us all up some firewood tops. He drops it off.We get enough wood for several of us.. I decided I wanted to use it for some odd jobs around the farm.. He said use it.. I said I would rather buy it.. Then if I break it.. It is mine to break.. He gave me a price I gave him the cash.. Only one condition if I ever sell it.. He wants it back.. Same price I paid him.. No biggie.. That is how real men loan tools.imho
Note I would loan this guy and two of my other buddies anything I own.. But they are the only people in the world that I would loan a tool too.

Last edited:
Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Heh heh. My dad used to say that he was in college before he learned that Damn Yankee was two words.

Here's the way I see it. Saws are dangerous, especially for the untrained, and inexperienced users frequently find ways to damage them. You may or not be insured sufficiently if he damages himself, and you certainly aren't insured against Nick gassing your saw or deciding to tune it for you. You're not in that business. A rental company, however, IS in that business. If I can't afford a tool I'll rent it before asking to borrow a friend's. In my opinion, asking one's girlfriend to ask her sister to ask her husband to borrow a saw is cowardly and juvenile, and even if I had a loaner saw I wouldn't loan anything to someone who won't deal with me up front. I'd revise my estimation of him downward about 6000% for creating friction between me and my wife, and I'd tell him never, ever, do that again. If you want something from me, talk to me. NO saw for you.

Jack

This right here is how I'd offer my condolenses. No soup for you!

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
To any tool that cannot afford to replace it..I have this bulldozer.A friend of mine loaned it to me 5 years ago when I pushed out the pad to build my house.. It went back to him in as good or better condition. When he picked it up.. He sold it to his step brother.His step brother went through it.Fixed lights and charging system, new leading edge, a few bearings and last but not least new paint.Well the guy got hard up for IRS money..My friend bought it back.He wanted to bring it over for me to use to skid us all up some firewood tops. He drops it off.We get enough wood for several of us.. I decided I wanted to use it for some odd jobs around the farm.. He said use it.. I said I would rather buy it.. Then if I break it.. It is mine to break.. He gave me a price I gave him the cash.. Only one condition if I ever sell it.. He wants it back.. Same price I paid him.. No biggie.. That is how real men loan tools.imho
Note I would loan this guy and two of my other buddies anything I own.. But they are the only people in the world that I would loan a tool too.

Yup, I agree. I can only think of one person I would ever loan a saw too. That is my Father!! All my other friends that would need a saw, have their own, so never a problem there.

jburlingham

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
My sister in law texted my wife tonight and ask if her boyfriend could borrow a saw...So my wife walks in and says, "you are going to be mad, but can Nick borrow a saw"...Of course I said NO, then the war started...Not really a war, but the, I don't understand the whole thing w/ you and your saws...The worst part is I had a nice little echo that I tried to sell him, but he just didn't have the cash, b/c he assumes he can borrow one, NOT...I normally have a loaner saw but just don't have anything running right now to let him use, sold them all...What to do, what to do?...Well I guess it is off to the garage to get a little Super XL 2 that is pumping oil into the crank case running so I can keep the peace...

That is why I still have a wildthing, loan it out to avoid arguments or hurt feelings, but if it gets trashed I won't cry. Best part is, those who dont know better think it is a cool saw

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
buy a walmart grade saw from craiglist for les than $20 have that as the loaner . I rarely loan saws you need some wood cut up i come too

outdoorlivin247

outdoorlivin247

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had to put a different bar and chain on the super 2...The end of the bar that was on it was burnt up and there was no adjustment left in the chain...Had to steal the bar and chain off of my little XL2 auto to run it...It ran really good in the 10" piece of Oak at the FIL's woods...Now it is either spend the money on a new bar or try to dress the bar and pull a link out ot the chain...:dizzy:...The local farm store has a Oregan bar and chain combo for $40, but really don't want to put money into it, just to loan it out...

The funniest part is nobody has ever called or texted me or the wife today...Guess it wasn't that important...But it got me to get the little homie running...:clap:

Last edited:
yodayoda

yodayoda

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
The more I read this the less I think it's about chainsaws. Both of these women seem poorly trained in male etiquette, and the boyfriend, even if he is a 300lb brawling concrete worker, is a schemer. There were two passes where this deal should have been cut off.

First, boyfriend asks SIL: "Would you ask your sister if I can borrow one of Outdoor's saws?"

SIL: "Why, scared to talk to him? I know better than to get involved in a tool deal, here's his number. Besides, maybe if you'd stay out of the topless bars for a week you could buy a saw."

Or, SIL plays the dupe, but your wife says: "I'm sorry, Sis, I don't think that's a good idea. Outdoor is pretty particular about his saws, and if Nick messed it up I wouldn't want to be involved. Besides, didn't he just turn down a great deal on a saw? It's too bad Nick can't afford his own tools, but I think he should handle his own business and not make it our problem."

Too bad, a missed opportunity for both of them to have your back.

Jack

Thats exactly how it should have gone down, but... womens brains don't work like that, I love my wife with all my heart, but I gave up long ago trying to figure out what goes on in her head sometimes.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Agreed. If it comes up often, pick up a newer but used homelite/Poulan that runs. Charge $5 for wear.

If I had a newer Mac I might loan it out. I'd loan out my little Timberman except its so clean I kind of don't want to.. I might consider loaning the 10-10, it does have a chainbrake although it doesn't work all that well.

TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Lots of interesting thoughts have been presented on this issue, and I really hate to loan out tools myself. But part of me wants you to loan the guy something just so you can learn what type of dude this SIL boyfriend is. Will he fubar it? Will it be just fine? Will he thank you by taking you out to dinner or maybe with a sixpack of good beer? Will he even say "thank you" in person or will he be a wuss and use the SIL as a middleman...again? :dizzy:

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
OK...so 4 pages in it looks like I'm the only one who saw the thread title and thought Outdoor was trying to pick a fight with Caleb (sILlogger) who, incidentally, looks like someone I wouldn't want to get in a hard argument with.

I have a loaner, but I don't loan it, because I don't know anyone with enough experience for me too feel safe handing them a saw. I generally loan myself with the saw, and get some beer out of the deal.

Even doing that causes me to worry. Last week it was a secretary from work. She had her son help move the bucked wood, and I told her to make sure he stayed away from the saw. Of course, he didn't. It's a magnet. I kicked and tossed pieces of wood all over the yard, but the only pieces he was interested in were the ones next to the moving chain.

I just had to resort to cutting when he was away, and standing there when he came to get a piece. I don't think he got the message.

Why do people feel the need to get as as close to the saw as possible? Needless to say, I felt really glad after that about not just loaning them the saw.

Afterthought: I guess I treat loaning out my saws the same way I would loaning out my firearms.

Last edited:
landyboy

landyboy

ArboristSite Operative
The guy is playing the game:family leverage. You might have some respect if he got your number and asked, but he didnt.
My wife is well trained. She knows i dont lend saws. However, we both work full time and have separate bank accounts. In the unlikely event that she presurised me into lending a saw i would say ok, but if it comes back damaged and they dont replace it you will do so.
I have a loaner saw, a mac 438. Couple of loops of safety chain.

My boss asked to borrow a saw:

` They`re dangerous. Do you know how to run a saw?`

`Yup`

`Know how to run a small two stroke, mixtures,dont run it dry,keep the chain oil tank topped?`

`Yup, i`ve had a saw before, just dont have one now and i want to clear a small tree`

I`m in a cleft stick. I dont lend saws and i cant exactly tell my boss to poke it. A good loaner in these circumstances is worth its weight in a quality saw.

One thing i have noticed on these kind of threads is the fact that people sometimes lend a saw, it comes back trashed, the person responsible makes no attempt to replace or offer to have the saw fixed.Thats just plain bad manners.

Wishie22

Wishie22

ArboristSite Operative
Since you (OP) have fixed the Home saw and are talking about selling it. "Dear please advise your sis that I have this saw all set and is for sale $xx." If he is into create, most guys carry a saw to cut up braces, blocks, panels, etc. He may want to invest in one to help complete future projects, or you may have additional future requests to borrow.

Get your own jack and don't you come back to borrow no more, no more, no more. Get your own Jack and come back when you want to buy one more.

:)

Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
OK...so 4 pages in it looks like I'm the only one who saw the thread title and thought Outdoor was trying to pick a fight with Caleb (sILlogger) who, incidentally, looks like someone I wouldn't want to get in a hard argument with.

Nope, never thought of that. Now that you got me thinking on the thread title, I'll change my advice to "If your son-in-law has a boyfriend, tell your daughter to find you a new son-in-law".

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Somebody just asked me to borrow a saw, a friend of a friend. HE knows how to run one, but he also knows how to wreck stuff. Right away he asked what gas to use, I told him to use the fuel I provide him and none else! I'll loan him my Timberman with a safety chain and some mixed gas and oil in a couple empty soda bottles, that should keep him out of trouble. I guarantee he is going to run the thing into the dirt, thats a given. He knows I have bigger and better saws but he isn't getting any of them!

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmmmmmmmm...................

NO!

What is worse, a fight about not loaning a saw or a fight when it comes back broken? Considering the fallout from my BIL, I would choose the fight about loaning. Seen the BIL yesterday for 4 hours and didn't say 2 words to him. It is better to fight a small battle with your wife, than a huge battle with your extended "family".

Hddnis

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't lend saws, or any other tool, as a general rule. There are some people that I will loan to; like the guy who gave me a chainsaw can borrow it back when he needs it. My brothers are free to borrow any of my tools anytime. They take at least as good of care of them as I do.

I would rather help the person get the job done. So far the times I shown up with a chainsaw I was always able to bring the right one for the job vs. the one they wanted to borrow. Some people don't even know you can get a 72" chainsaw bar.

:greenchainsaw:

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts