SIL's boyfriend wants to borrow a saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'm lucky, I have very few friends and close relatives. I live so far in the sticks, hardly anyone ever shows up no less asks to borrow things.

Lending a saw just doesn't sound like a good idea for several reasons.

Just got home from the inlaws for birthday dinner and I just so happen to take tools along to get my FIL's old homelite 150 running...It has sat for over ten years...The recoil was hanging up bad and the fuel tank was full of crap...Needless to say the SIL saw and heard it running...Now she can ask her dad to borrow a saw...But hey I brought 2 old homies back to life in less than 24 hours...:clap:

Just got home from the inlaws for birthday dinner and I just so happen to take tools along to get my FIL's old homelite 150 running...It has sat for over ten years...The recoil was hanging up bad and the fuel tank was full of crap...Needless to say the SIL saw and heard it running...Now she can ask her dad to borrow a saw...But hey I brought 2 old homies back to life in less than 24 hours...:clap:

Impressive. You might even get an award from Raisedbywolves.

Good for you,covered all the bases.

Just an observation.

When handing a field hand a saw and the Fuel and oil cans, watch those around him. Thier facial expressions will accurately indicate wether or not you will need a new bar in the next couple of hours.;)

Folks that never have or seldom have run saws, generally don't own a chainsaw.
Folks that havn't sunk the $$$$ and time into a saw, can safely be assumed to be unsafe, and irresponsible through ignorance with a saw.

Saws are counterintuitive in many ways, and it is safe to assume anyone who does not own a saw and is ignorant of thier operation will be cutting large and heavy wooden things, with potentially lethal energy stored in the vertical plane. That Energy could damage your saw...

Tell the wife "No". Your possible new Best BIL might kill or injure himself unless ya show him the ropes by having him over for a few beers and some cutting/Stacking. Then turn him loose bucking and stacking your pile untill he "Gets it". It might take 3-4 cords, but it would only be the "Responsible thing to do" before turning him loose with your loaner.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sister in law's boyfriend can borrow a saw when rings are attached legally to fingers. Go with him and do the task together that way you both know where you stand, cut and run or welcome to the Family.

Sister in law's boyfriend can borrow a saw when rings are attached legally to fingers. Go with him and do the task together that way you both know where you stand, cut and run or welcome to the Family.

"Chainsaw wedding":D LOL!!!

I see potential in the concept.;)

"You can have my daughters hand in marriage...AFTER your bring me the Mint condition 262xp, 880, and mint in the box Contra, now get outta my house!".

Good thing I don't have a daughter;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

"You can have my daughters hand in marriage...AFTER your bring me the Mint condition 262xp, 880, and mint in the box Contra, now get outta my house!".

Good thing I don't have a daughter;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I wish I could remember what movie it was. The new boyfriend stops by the house to pick up the daughter. The father is doing something at the table, and doesn't even bother to look up when he says:

"I have a .45 and a shovel. You won't be missed."

Nope--"Neither a lender nor a borrower be!!"

I haven't gotten over the last time I tried to be a "Good Guy" with extended family. That was a while ago. It didn't get straight gassed at least. The brand new Sthil RSK chain was toast and it was out of bar oil and had been for a while. When asked I thought from what he said that he needed to work up some firewood for his home and his saw was "in the shop" (that should have told me something) Anyway when I got it back (it was returned to the shop while I wasn't there---just as well) the chain was not even worth trying to grind it had been rocked so hard and run dry so long that it went straight to the metal recycle can.

But what pi$$ed me off to the max was he didn't cut any wood to keep his family warm!!! This guy worked the whole day for the local land grabber trust for $35.00/HR clearing hiking trails on the mountain!! The next time he wanted to borrow a saw "Sorry the chain is still beat!!!!" The next time after that he asked I had set up a great running Homey SXLAO (you know the one with the sardine can for a muffler) with a safety chain as a loaner. You know when he returned that it still had gas and oil and the chain was still sharp as well!! He said that it was to loud and shook to much and just didn't cut all that well!!!!! Imagine that I said. He hasn't asked since!!

SIL's Boyfriend isn't really family!

Anyway, is he a total TARD?? Loser?? does he ever use tools??? If it were me, I'd say no.
I agree. Don't let someone else make a decision that's yours to make. Allowing them to force your hand in providing a saw against your wishes is bad juju.

Who has a Mall 2MG? That's a loaner to end all tool loans, unless you lend it out to somebody who's a professional body builder.

I'll only loan out a saw to a very select few people, on the sole condition that the borrower uses gas that I had bought and mixed myself, and providing I have previously cut with them and I know what the job will be. That way I at least have as much control as possible over the situation.

Latest posts

Back