Silver Maple ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2:

:agree2: You better a have ALOT of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6yltShnlY

This is me taking down a huge silver maple that size is about the average were i am cutting .
My dad says its probably 25 years old , because the land was all corn then . My family owns the CT + Farmington river delta its 50% silver maple ,the rest is white ash ,norway maple , cotton wood , cherry , and elm, so yea I get alot of silver maple . It burns hot seasons in 3 month's but you need alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6yltShnlY

This is me taking down a huge silver maple that size is about the average were i am cutting .
My dad says its probably 25 years old , because the land was all corn then . My family owns the CT + Farmington river delta its 50% silver maple ,the rest is white ash ,norway maple , cotton wood , cherry , and elm, so yea I get alot of silver maple . It burns hot seasons in 3 month's but you need alot.

Nice tree. I would guess closer to 40-50 years old. Count the rings.

Yeap..I got some Silver Maple fresh from a cut. I pulled over when I saw the chipper. :cry: and the nice guys left it for me on the curb for next day.. Its the ones on the right in the pic.

I tried one in the stove and no way would it burn green...take a while to season but should be nice and hot when ready...Maples dont burn slow but should give you a lasting fire..
100_1420.jpg

that's norway maple tom

28 years old , silver is the fastest and softest of the maple species , I guess making it a good renewable resource .

Wow, that is pretty amazing!

From the location he described, that's real nice land. REAL nice. About the only "bad" thing is every few years you'll have some flooding.

Other then that, it's deep, rich sandy loam, my guess probably sits 4' or 5' above the normal river level. So the tree never lacks water. Last and First Frosts are probably a bit earlier and later. Might even benefit from fertilizer run off from the nearby fields.

That part of Connecticut is funny. You'll see an industrial park butting right up to a shade tobacco field -- lots of labor, but in good years they bring in $30,000/acre on the tobacco crops. They don't grow the shade tobacco down by the rivers though, too much of a risk of flooding damaging the infrastructure needed to support the shade cloth and the drying barns!

Silver vs Hard Maple

There's a big difference between Silver (soft) maple and Sugar (hard maple). Here are the per cord comparisons:

Maple (silver) 3,783 lb green, 2,970 lb dry, 20.8 MMBTU
Maple (sugar) 4,386 ln green, 3,577 lb dry, 25.0 MMBTU

Silver maple also tends to dry rot rather quickly, so burn it within 3 years after you split it. It will also dry rot rather rapidly if left in the round. It's an excellent mix in the same fire with other woods of higher density that burn longer. In my stove it compliments things.

Last edited:
Back