Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry but I am a little closer to some of the doings of people in his area of the world.
I have a saw shop and have seen some of his work.
Where do you think he learned his trade?

I am not saying all his work is questionable.
I am just saying I would be wary.

I am sure he put a 266 piston in like we taught him and he moded the muffler but did he fully port the intake and exhaust ports?
Maybe he did and that is great.
These other guys thought the mods were great but it was partially a case of the sugar pill.
Part of it was in their heads as the ports were not touched.
That is where time is involved in the mods and some people may want to shave time and put out a partial product.
I am just going from experience.
Maybe you should ask his last employer why he is no longer working at the shop in Campbell River.

There are many builders that have copied the "Black cylinder". I have an idea who IslandSaw is. If you are not in touch with me by email or phone, you do not have a Simonized saw. Pretty simple.

No Offense,

But if IslandSaws is legit, it shouldn't be too hard to ferret out who they are, correct? Maybe I am wrong.

ETA - My mistake. I see you have an idea who he is. I misread that.

Last edited:
I am nobody but if the guy aint got the balls to say who he is or what he is about and post some pics then he needs to kiss off

All I can add is I sent a stock MS460 to Simon, before it was sent we took a 24" dia ash log and with a new chain did a video of the before. After the saw came back, which took some time due to the Canadian Postal Strike, me having issues with the postmaster, all the time that log just got more seasoned. When the saw came back, we did an after video which was posted on here, same exact log was used and the same chain, which we just took off and hung up on a nail until the saw got back. The after video showed an average of like a 39.?% average improvement in cutting time with the best slightly over 40% improvement in cutting time. The saw gets the snot run out of it every week, almost everyday, it runs wot no load at 15,300 and has fantastic throttle response. It has clearly showed us that a woods ported work saw can and will pay for itself with the increased productivity it brings to the table. Don't know the politics involved or the circumstances mentioned, but I couldn't be happier with the results of my particular saw.
We're just pretty simple guys, in our part of the world we cut what is considered a lot of firewood, although there are many on here that dwarf our 375-400 cord output, we're just wood cutters and farmers these days, but I can tell you that this particular saws performance before and after is just amazing to guys that hadn't run a bunch of ported saws. We've ran it against my cousin who logs for a living and has for 30 years on his own, third generation logger's stock MS 660 and the Simonized 460 eats it alive, both saws wearing 25" bars. There are many good modders out there, anyone sending a saw to be modded should check out who they are sending their saw to anyway, not only to discuss the expectations, how "hot" they want the saw modded, whether to make it more of a cookie cutter or one that will go to the woods and work all day, one should get references, I remember not too long ago guys sending saws and payment and never seeing their saw again. The main point I want to make is don't let a thread like this discourage you from sending a saw to one of the reputable, proven porters on AS, a good woods port will make your current stock saw seem anemic, sick, in my line of work you will get the return on the 250.00 spent by increased productivity. I've seen no effects on longevity at all, it likes to drink the gas, but it's almost cutting twice the wood in the same period of time. For the amount of money spent it's one of the most fun things you can do for the money, whether you cut five cord or 500, everyone likes running a hotrod. You want to run a Civic or drive a ZL-1 Camaro, one will put a smile on your face.

I am not saying the saws blew up due to any fault of Simons.
The saw could have lasted as long as any stock saw.
I am saying the ports were never touched.
But the cylinder was painted so it looked good.
It is not bad grapes.
He worked for me a long time ago and I have no ill feelings.
The last saw shop he was at may have a case of bad grapes.
Give them a call and ask them.
I would not let him babysit my dog is all I am saying.
Lmao. If you keep your house the way you keep your shop, your dog would be able to survive eating the junk left on the floor for 3-5 years and therefore not require a sitter. I am astounded that WCB never shut your disaster down for tripping hazards. Honestly it made Sanford and son's establishment look organized. Now go and play with your lawnmowers and thank your lucky stars you met a guy as knowledgeable as D.S. to set you up.

You were funny.But would I trust you,Never.You said in an private message that your last boss was spreading lies about you.You should do something about that if they are lies because all the dealers on Vancouver Island and all the Reps think you were doing some five finger discounts from the store.
Having known you I tend to beleive your last boss.
As for this part of your quote.
Now go and play with your lawnmowers and thank your lucky stars you met a guy as knowledgeable as D.S. to set you up
It is odd that some of the best years that the store has had were just after I let D.S. go.
A year or 2 after I was featured as one of the fastest growing Husqvarna dealers in NA at the dealer meeting in Cancun.
This year we have had just over 20% growth in My New Building that I bough last year.
So if you ever stop by keep your hands in your pockets and I do have security cameras.

If you speak to your dealers, they will inform you that I turned that shop from a joke, into the the most prolific dealer in pro saws on the coast in 3 years. Bill C. will concur. If I did shady business then why are all my previous customers coming to me now? I don't even charge my customers until they have their machines and are fully satisfied, I dare you to compete with that. I don't need to fling mud Ken. D.S. is the reason you are successful, of course it was AFTER you allegedly let him go, he has a great name and has integrity. My previous employer sold saws using my name for a few months after I left, HE is the one that has all the fallers pi$$ed off at him. Please refrain from trashing my work unless I send you a saw and you know it is mine. Since I am also not a bull$hitter, I did learn a lot from Mike P. at your shop in 2000, however, I took his ideas and researched ad nauseum to develop my own machines. Also don't point your security cameras at your cash box because Revenue Canada does audits. Same as UIC, a favour I still owe you. BTW, the 20% growth you speak of, I presume is mould. In my life I have never worked in a filthier shop. A leopard does not change its spots, the fact that you moved into the old cheese factory is comically ironic.

Last edited:
If you speak to your dealers, they will inform you that I turned that shop from a joke, into the the most prolific dealer in pro saws on the coast in 3 years. Bill C. will concur. If I did shady business then why are all my previous customers coming to me now? I don't even charge my customers until they have their machines and are fully satisfied, I dare you to compete with that. I don't need to fling mud Ken. D.S. is the reason you are successful, of course it was AFTER you allegedly let him go, he has a great name and has integrity. My previous employer sold saws using my name for a few months after I left, HE is the one that has all the fallers pi$$ed off at him. Please refrain from trashing my work unless I send you a saw and you know it is mine. Since I am also not a bull$hitter, I did learn a lot from Mike P. at your shop in 2000, however, I took his ideas and researched ad nauseum to develop my own machines. Also don't point your security cameras at your cash box because Revenue Canada does audits. Same as UIC, a favour I still owe you. BTW, the 20% growth you speak of, I presume is mould. In my life I have never worked in a filthier shop. A leopard does not change its spots, the fact that you moved into the old cheese factory is comically ironic.

I've been to his shop here in town Simon, and its not like you say it is. If you don't like lies spread about you, don't do it to others. No I don't claim to know what all has gone on, but I do know what I see, and do know what I hear, not just from dealers but fallers as well. I'm not judging you Simon cause I don't know you, and don't know 100% if the info I know is 100% true or not.

I've been to his shop here in town Simon, and its not like you say it is. If you don't like lies spread about you, don't do it to others. No I don't claim to know what all has gone on, but I do know what I see, and do know what I hear, not just from dealers but fallers as well. I'm not judging you Simon cause I don't know you, and don't know 100% if the info I know is 100% true or not.
I have never pi$$ed off any fallers in my life. My number is 250 923-9129, I don't need to defend myself against dealers who cannot make the same claim.

Hey, don't worry about me Simon. Like I said, I only have to go on what I hear. Hopefully you can understand my position.
No worries, I will continue to stand behind my work and not bill my international customers until they have their equipment in their hands, as I have from the start. There are thousands of people on this site, I don't think any offer that kind of integrity and confidence.

I hear ya.

Hearsay | Define Hearsay at Dictionary.com
hear·say
   [heer-sey]

noun
unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge: I pay no attention to hearsay.

an item of idle or unverified information or gossip; rumor: a malicious hearsay.

......Where there's smoke, there's fire!.....is that hear-say?

I haven't gotten my saw back yet but it should be here next week and I'll give and honest report on Simons work. I've done a little porting on some of our own saws in the past.And I can't wait to run a saw Simon worked on. The guy has been nothing but stand up to me so far. I tried to send payment for saw and he won't accept till I get The saw and run It. Good or bad I'm going to pay the man,but not many people out there would do this. Thanks Simon bet the 460 is a monster. Jake

No worries, I will continue to stand behind my work and not bill my international customers until they have their equipment in their hands, as I have from the start. There are thousands of people on this site, I don't think any offer that kind of integrity and confidence.

Actually a lot of us do, and we were doing business that way long before you came around.

Many's the time I've shipped parts and saws on someone's word and I have yet to be burned here.

I've shipped parts to people I never heard of on here before. One member shipped me a running 390xp and a parts one without paypal set up to take payment for almost a week. I bought a grinder off craigslist and the guy shipped it and then told me what I owed him. There's plenty of stand up people on here and out in the world.

Back