Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We really don't have and popular here, but do have a lot of ash trees.

The last removal job was for a farmer that had a good sized grove on both old trees and some that were in the 10-18" dbh size. I have a log that I brought to the house that prolly will measure 30" at the base and taper down to 22-24, I'll do some cuts in it as well as oak. I've got seasoned oak , cherry and walnut all at least 2 years old. I have some green hedge the size I need as well.

I agree with Edisto timed cuts only show so much. I can guarantee I can tell if it is winner the first time it's in my hands.
I also agree that a guy that has production logged all his life will be able to tell instantly. My cousin is a tight azz when it comes to money, he has done extremely well, that is just the way he was brought up, if he spend the coin to sent a saw up, then we will have a winner.

I think that running the saw in a real work environment would show us a lot. The day after day stuff. Run it hard, treat it right, and see how it does.

Cutting cookies and timed cuts and all that play-around stuff is fine to show how fast a saw is but it doesn't really relate to what a saw goes through when it's used, and used hard, in a production environment.

You're giving Simon a chance to show us what he can do. That speaks well for both of you.

I agree with you all the way man. But still yet, it will take a long term test to show. Cutting some cookies will at least give us an idea of the power gains right away.
I definetly want to see it worked too.

If it works out for Indian, I may have a 660 that needs some love. ;)

We really don't have and popular here, but do have a lot of ash trees.

The last removal job was for a farmer that had a good sized grove on both old trees and some that were in the 10-18" dbh size. I have a log that I brought to the house that prolly will measure 30" at the base and taper down to 22-24, I'll do some cuts in it as well as oak. I've got seasoned oak , cherry and walnut all at least 2 years old. I have some green hedge the size I need as well.

I agree with Edisto timed cuts only show so much. I can guarantee I can tell if it is winner the first time it's in my hands.
I also agree that a guy that has production logged all his life will be able to tell instantly. My cousin is a tight azz when it comes to money, he has done extremely well, that is just the way he was brought up, if he spend the coin to sent a saw up, then we will have a winner.

Any wood would work okay, as long as it's knot free. I'd think some 20" cuts, then maybe some around 30" Go for the biggest bar you have on the big wood cuts so we can see what kind of torque he's working with. :rock:

The German I do gun work with as a hobby is the same way. He was one of FAG bearing's top engineers. He is intelligent beyond my comprehension, in my past life I have toured most of the name rifle custom shops in the US. Winchester, Remington, HS Precision, Knight Rifles to name a few as well in alot of customer makers shops.
This German gentleman is as good if not as if not better than the best I've ever seen when working in the industry.
With that said he could not sell one of his rifles to anyone...can you spell -rick, he is the virtual definition. He has zero people skills, and he couldn't careless if he sells a rifle or not. That's were I come in, I run interference for him and he is teaching me what he knows. It is just painful to spend a day around him, but the education is worth the tuition.

As a buyer at Wal-Mart I've witnessed some of the best products being represented by folks that would be better off staying away.

I'm not saying that is the case here, I believe some folks may be surprised at the results. I know one thing, you guys will see it just like it happens, we'll do it however people want, light load, heavy load, chain on backwards whatever.

I go in to this knowing I'll prolly be crucified in the end, just like with Brad's 261 thread but it's not like I really care. All I care is that the finished product is represented like it is, either great, satisfactory or if it happens to be a pos, I'll call it a pos, and in the end I think that is all Simon wants, get the monkey off his back and get earned respect.

Yup it's a pattern, the difference between genius and insanity is finite.

Like I said I've ran one of Simon's saws and from memory it ran very well, and I will not be surprised if the results say as much.

I wish Simon nothing but the best. With that said straightforwardness and some transparency goes a long way IMHO.:cheers:

Indiansprings: Use the Ashe for your test if you can. I know it's not quite as hard but the wood is alot more consistant. Poplar is the best IMO. Theres no knots in Poplar. Either of those would be your best bet.
I suggest a good long peice of straight Poplar.

I agree Poplar is a good choice, maybe not very hard, but very consistent. Ash is probably the best test wood I know of, plenty hard, straight and relatively knot free.

Honestly you guys are over thinking this, you can jump through all the hoops you want to, but in the end the results are likely going to be the same as a simple test I can do in five minutes. I guess some care about +- 1% when cutting firewood.:eek:ps:

I'm pretty open to suggestions on what people would like to see in the vid's.

Let me know what you want to see with this saw.

Seeing as Simon is doing work saws with torque, how bout rocking the saw in the wood. Drop the nose of the bar, then back on the rear handle, then pull up on the rear handle. This is what most here can relate to. A test of the grunt of a saw is when you pull up on the rear handle with dawgs biting in large wood.

Yup it's a pattern, the difference between genius and insanity is finite.

Like I said I've ran one of Simon's saws and from memory it ran very well, and I will not be surprised if the results say as much.

I wish Simon nothing but the best. With that said straightforwardness and some transparency goes a long way IMHO.:cheers:

I agree completely with this! I also harbor no ill will towards Simon, but, as I said before, it's a new age on here now.

Honestly you guys are over thinking this, you can jump through all the hoops you want to, but in the end the results are likely going to be the same as a simple test I can do in five minutes. I guess some care about +- 1% when cutting firewood.

I think they are trying to avoid an outcome like this:

I'm not sure what to think about the stock vs muffler modded 346 times. I cut a 10.02, 9.81, and 8.97. Then Andre cut a 8.09 and a 8.00. Yet both of our cut times were identical with the 261. I think this wood is just that inconsistent. So I went with Andre's time of 8.00 for stock.

If the point is to get numbers that accurately reflect the difference that the port work made, a little extra thought and work go a long way.

It's easy to generate numbers, but it is harder than you might think to generate meaningful numbers.

If you guys don't have one yet, get a GoPro camera. They shoot at 60 frames per second, in HD. When I time cuts, I run the GoPro, and my times starts when chips fly and stop flying. I do it the same way, every time. When I review the videos, I can use the time on the video to time my saw, even if I slow it down 400%.

Saw the 390. Didn't seem too bad but nothing to get excited about, either. Couldn't find much else on Google except for some third hand information.

I also did an AS search on Simon saws. That was some interesting reading. I'd forgotten that there were two saws that were supposed to go to Red Bluff. I think you sent one of them to Woodsjunkie and he GTG'd it a little but never really put out any kind of professional level of work with it.

Who got the other Red Bluff saw? Chances are I'll know him, either by name, in person, or by reputation. He might be a good reference.

If I don't know him I'll bet Cahoon does. :laugh:
If I remember right it was the invisible man who got the other saw LOL.:msp_biggrin:

Simon makes a relevant point here, common to our profession & the green industry.

I don't have proof. But I do have confidence and experience and integrity. Send me a 460, I will mod it and send it back to you for free. If you are not shocked at the difference, don't pay me a dime. When you are shocked, and you will be, still have it for free, but please never question my work after that. Save this post. I will stand behind it.
Simon offers change for your saw that won't cost you money. But if you like the difference you know you have gotten an improvement and for this you have the obligation to compensate him. I have more than 600 clients who liked what I have done for their property and their trees. It is difficult to answer prospect's questions yet they are trying to size up what they will get for their money. That's the way it is for selling service. I liked what the hernia surgeon told me what he could for my pain and that ten minute appt. cost $240.00. Two days later and about $4,000 gone I felt no more BAAAD pain. Be safe out there!

Good luck Simon :)

Do you change piston on both the 70cc and 75cc 372xp's ??
Here in Sweden we only get the 70cc versions there off my question:)

And again good luck here on AS hope you can stand all the bs that gets spread here ,,,,,

Latest posts

Back