Skidding logs with a Dodge Ram!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know whats funny is that Ford actually offers the same 5.9 cummins we have in our dodge trucks, but you have to get a F650 or larger before they start putting real diesel motors in there trucks. :rock:

26,001 and up is considered heavy truck class.......anything lower is medium duty and then down to light-duty. Most highway tractors are only 6 cylinders. A few diesel V8's are around, but not as common. The backbone Cummins brand workhorse is the 855.

26,001 and up is considered heavy truck class.......anything lower is medium duty and then down to light-duty. Most highway tractors are only 6 cylinders. A few diesel V8's are around, but not as common. The backbone Cummins brand workhorse is the 855.

The 855 is not a 5.9 liter..

Very true most Highway trucks are inline 6's in a whole different series of engine's

Last edited:
You know whats funny is that Ford actually offers the same 5.9 cummins we have in our dodge trucks, but you have to get a F650 or larger before they start putting real diesel motors in there trucks. :rock:

That statement was not real smart ..

They sure did ... They used Power Stroke's, Cummin's and the Cat.

Seems if you want the top power in the Ford 650and 750 you need the Cat..

2007 Ford F-750 Super Duty Chassis Cab: Specifications

F-750 F-750 S
Ratings Min. – Max. Min. – Max.
Powertrain hp/torque (lb.-ft.)

Cummins 185/420 – 275/660
-
Caterpillar 210/520 – 300/860

Power Stroke 200/520 – 230/620 -

GVWR (lbs.) 30,000 – 33,000 31,000 – 33,000

BTW Not bashing the 5.9 .. Just showing its not the best option in all cases

Last edited:
The rest of the picture... This is a better view of what was holding my ford back. Bet your dodge can't pull it.

Not Smart ?? I am simply stating the facts. Go To fords website, you already posted the numbers, ect. Cat is a very good diesel motor. Powerstrokes are light duty v-8s that started out as converted gas motors, same as chevy. Cummins 5.9 is not even in the same class as those v-8 motors. Ford and Chevy are considered light duty motors, Cummins 5.9 is a medium duty motor used in much larger trucks and equipment than a 1 ton truck. Do your homework before you open your mouth :buttkick:

F-750 F-750 S

-

Ultra, I think you should read the quote again before you say the statement was not very smart. I simply stated that ford offered the same engine in F650 and above, never said anything about cat or powerstroke.

F-750 F-750 S

-

Powerstroke engines (commonly in Ford Light-Duty applications) are made by International. These engines to my knowledge are not used in what people consider "Big Rigs". Heavy Duty Trucks are classified into 2 classes: class 7 (26,001-33,000 GVW) and class 8 (33,001 GVW and over). I believe the Caterpillar engine that is available for the F-650/F-750 is the C7 engine.

Powerstroke engines (commonly in Ford Light-Duty applications) are made by International. These engines to my knowledge are not used in what people consider "Big Rigs". Heavy Duty Trucks are classified into 2 classes: class 7 (26,001-33,000 GVW) and class 8 (33,001 GVW and over). I believe the Caterpillar engine that is available for the F-650/F-750 is the C7 engine.

Yes it is the C-7 ...

All Im asking is where is there a 5.9 cummins in a Big Rig ???? And what is considered a Big Rig?? Thats all Im asking ..

I never said there was a 5.9 liter cummins in a tractor/trailer. I simply asked how many big rigs (tractor/trailer) do you see with a powerstroke engine in them ?? Cummins, Detroit, and Cat are the big three. I dont want to get into a pissing match here, but there is no comparison when you are talking the consumer market chevy and ford diesel engines compared with a medium duty motor such as the cummins. If ford had a cat or cummins in there one tons, I would be driving one instead of the dodge. The cummins engine is the only reason I am driving a dodge right now.

And it is a 6.7 liter, not 5.9. Dodge is putting the new cummins 6.7 liter in, replacing the 5.9 liter.

Yes it is the C-7 ...

All Im asking is where is there a 5.9 cummins in a Big Rig ???? And what is considered a Big Rig?? Thats all Im asking ..

I never said there was a 5.9 liter cummins in a tractor/trailer. I simply asked how many big rigs (tractor/trailer) do you see with a powerstroke engine in them ?? Cummins, Detroit, and Cat are the big three. I dont want to get into a pissing match here, but there is no comparison when you are talking the consumer market chevy and ford diesel engines compared with a medium duty motor such as the cummins. If ford had a cat or cummins in there one tons, I would be driving one instead of the dodge. The cummins engine is the only reason I am driving a dodge right now.

And it is a 6.7 liter, not 5.9. Dodge is putting the new cummins 6.7 liter in, replacing the 5.9 liter.

You for got Mercedes Diesels...............

connecting%20rod.jpg
Here is a pic of the rods just for comparison. Thought it might be interesting.

Deezulsmoke,

Nice comparison picture! The Duramax seems to have the smallest connecting rod of them all. The thing I don't care for when it comes to the Duramax is it's body style and my biggest reason for not liking it is.......IFS up front, yuk. I give props to Ford and Dodge for keeping the straight axle. I guess light duty Cummins engines will be placed into Ford trucks in the near future.

Yes that is one thing I do not like about the chevy. I cannot believe they put that on the one-ton duallies, and got away from the straight axle.

Back