Skip tooth nonsense

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Husky 550xp has now been ported by Tlandrum and wears a 16" 3/8 .050 Pro Lite Bar with Stihl Full Chisel RS Chain.
At first I did not think I would like the 16" bar but really do.
The 20" 3/8 .050 bar is on my Tlandrum Ported 2260 which is a great combo. I love the 3/8 .050 chain and bar combos for
all my saws as I can interchange bars and chains if I have to or want to. The 550xp runs very well with 3/8 .050 Stihl RS chain.

I did not like the Skip chain for limbing as it tends to throw the bar off the limb with a bit of kickback in certain positions. You also
can't use the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener with skip chain.

Wow..thanks for the vids !! Great stuff ! I can see there being great possibilities being able to change out 3/8 bars between saws . Thats actually pretty smart . I personally like the .325 on the 550xp .Seems to cut faster . Plus I have a bunch of saws that take the same .325 bar !! Thanks again for the vids...very informative !

Well, if I had a shop I would keep to the rule that the customer is always right. Right, wrong, smart, dumb, or otherwise.

Not QUITE there with you on that one. I have never been a shop owner or a retailer, but I am often a customer. What I would say is that the customer is always the customer. When I come across a shop owner with superior knowledge, I appreciate his/her opinion - ONCE. After I have heard that opinion and understood it, if I still want something else, I DO NOT want an argument. I can get arguments all day long at home and at work. When I put on the hat of customer, I want what I want. Sometimes I want an opinion that is more expert than mine, and I'll ask for it. Other times, I just want what I came in for.

image.jpg
I run standard chain on my 017's and 026's. Standard and semi skip on my MS260 Mod. I have a few loops of full skip for my 036 with a 24" bar when bucking large rounds. It works good for dead frozen white ash but turn up the oiler a bit.
Full skip chain is dangerous when limbing due to grabbing and kickback.

Well, if I had a shop I would keep to the rule that the customer is always right. Right, wrong, smart, dumb, or otherwise..
Thats soooo 21'st century
Now in the modern world the customer is never right,not sure when that changed.But it sure as hell is the new policy at 90% of the stores that i have been looking for stuff in.

Full house baby!
hugedy4e.jpg
No chip clearance what so ever!

Had a long time customer come in several weeks ago looking for .325 skip chain for his 550xp. I explained to him that no such thing exists. He is CONVINCED that skip tooth anything is better. Yesterday he comes in and tells me to order everything to convert his 550 to 3/8. I told him it could be done, but that it would cut slower with 3/8 skip, and he didn't care. I do not understand these guys swearing by skip on short bars. Does he really think that Husky would have put .325 on there if JGX would cut faster???? The 3/8 chain is cheaper to manufacture anyway!?!?!?

So I dug around and we actually already had all of what he needed. Oregon doesn't even make a 3/8 sprocket for the 550, but the factory rim can be swapped for 3/8, so I am good for when he comes back. I just don't get it. We have started carrying 20" loops of skip, and I have stopped telling guys that it cuts slower. I even spoke with my Oregon rep, and told him they should start selling .325 skip. There is absolutely no practical purpose, but we could sure sell a bunch of it.
Dem previous wildthing owners want what they know?

I like skip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I'm filing eh?

On long bars in soft wood, skip is faster, but only because it allows the chips to be pulled out of the cut so the cutters don't ride on them.

The monkey is right. But he is more right when it comes to more fibrous and woods with moisture like softwoods and some PNW hardwoods like this big leaf maple:

Thats soooo 21'st century
Now in the modern world the customer is never right,not sure when that changed.But it sure as hell is the new policy at 90% of the stores that i have been looking for stuff in.

Well, if you ever want to make a dime in business, you should understand marketing which is always customer driven. There is nothing new about that, and has been the dominant business strategy in the 20th century. But hey, everyone on this site is always right, even when they do not have any education, any experience, or even the faintest clue about what they are talking about. :dizzy:

To the OP- that guy probably hangs out on one of them there chainsaw forums on that Internet thing the kids are all talking about nowadays. They say if its on that electron scrambling box its got to be true.
;)

Yeah, he is probably here. He said he researched the saws before buying. Local husky dealer is not terribly friendly. He bought a 550 & 576at from him, and comes to our place for consumables etc. Good customer, and I told hook l him my opinion once. Now it is time to get him what he wants, even if that is not what is best for his saw.

They put skip tooth on a lot of the big box store saws - I guess because they are underpowered for their bar length. Anyway, I glance as I walk by, checking to see if they are at least Oregon chain, or if some have gone to OOO (Tri-Link). A couple of times I have had to do a double take because there will be a cutter, followed by 3 or 4 tie straps (looks especially funny with the bumper tie straps!). Typically 3/8 low profile. Turns out that this is usually where the loop is joined, with an odd number of drive links. But it looks really strange.

Philbert

They put skip tooth on a lot of the big box store saws - I guess because they are underpowered for their bar length. Anyway, I glance as I walk by, checking to see if they are at least Oregon chain, or if some have gone to OOO (Tri-Link). A couple of times I have had to do a double take because there will be a cutter, followed by 3 or 4 tie straps (looks especially funny with the bumper tie straps!). Typically 3/8 low profile. Turns out that this is usually where the loop is joined, with an odd number of drive links. But it looks really strange.

Philbert

I agree those chains look silly. I assumed they made that silly skip for cost reasons. Fewer cutters = less cost.
Most homeowners are not going to notice any difference in performance.

I agree those chains look silly. I assumed they made that silly skip for cost reasons. Fewer cutters = less cost.
Most homeowners are not going to notice any difference in performance.
That is kind of the way I had it figured. Most of the people buying one have never been around one and wouldn't know the difference. But after hearing small cc big bar lots of skip that makes sense too. Big box customers are shopping for that BIG 20" bar, because it's bigger saw than the same saw with an 18". I bet you could have it filed awful fast though considering its only got a cutter every 4"!

Had a long time customer come in several weeks ago looking for .325 skip chain for his 550xp. I explained to him that no such thing exists. He is CONVINCED that skip tooth anything is better. Yesterday he comes in and tells me to order everything to convert his 550 to 3/8. I told him it could be done, but that it would cut slower with 3/8 skip, and he didn't care. I do not understand these guys swearing by skip on short bars. Does he really think that Husky would have put .325 on there if JGX would cut faster???? The 3/8 chain is cheaper to manufacture anyway!?!?!?

So I dug around and we actually already had all of what he needed. Oregon doesn't even make a 3/8 sprocket for the 550, but the factory rim can be swapped for 3/8, so I am good for when he comes back. I just don't get it. We have started carrying 20" loops of skip, and I have stopped telling guys that it cuts slower. I even spoke with my Oregon rep, and told him they should start selling .325 skip. There is absolutely no practical purpose, but we could sure sell a bunch of it.

Doesn't matter. It's his money and his choice. If he want's skip by golly, then sell him skip and shut your trap.

Well, if you ever want to make a dime in business, you should understand marketing which is always customer driven. There is nothing new about that, and has been the dominant business strategy in the 20th century. But hey, everyone on this site is always right, even when they do not have any education, any experience, or even the faintest clue about what they are talking about. :dizzy:
Been self employed since 1992,don't owe a red cent to anyone.Have garage's, equipment,trucks,and heating fuel business.
I know where the customer belongs in the scheme of things.
Not how i do business
Just saying
Thomas

Been self employed since 1992,don't owe a red cent to anyone.Have garage's, equipment,trucks,and heating fuel business.
I know where the customer belongs in the scheme of things.
Not how i do business
Just saying
Thomas
The fuel oil business can be more frustrating to purchase from than the owner of the top level stihl dealer saying why do you want to do that, what are you trying to do.

It takes a bit of effort to find someone to deliver fuel oil without giving them all the information to do a credit check and signing a service contract. I am not sure what you mean by the part I highlighted but even though I dealt with the salesman who installed the whole new boiler and hot water tank when I inherited the house for a few years they had a seperate division for put a check on the pipe and 17 cents a gallon less but then demanded the contract and credit check.

Back