small axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
while back I saw a thread about a small axe that is handy for camp fire wood splitting and splitting kindling wood with. it was a small in size and a blue color to it and I think it had a rubber grip on the handle. anyways I was wanting to get one of those and cannot find the thread in the search function. Does anyone know what axe im talking about and where to get it.. I need a good small hand held axe for splitting kindling wood with.. thanks.

I don't know the axe you are talking about, but I carry the firemans axe from Harbor Freight with me. It has a pick head so it is good for pulling logs out of a pile when reptiles are active and is a good hand tool when cutting and splitting. I also like it for in the woods when un desirable animals start to snoop. I know it is not the tool you were looking for, but I like this one and it has served me well. It also fits nicely in the door pocket of my Ram so I always have a tool at my disposal

I don't know the axe you are talking about, but I carry the firemans axe from Harbor Freight with me. It has a pick head so it is good for pulling logs out of a pile when reptiles are active and is a good hand tool when cutting and splitting. I also like it for in the woods when un desirable animals start to snoop. I know it is not the tool you were looking for, but I like this one and it has served me well. It also fits nicely in the door pocket of my Ram so I always have a tool at my disposal

I have an account with Harbor Freight so I will give this one you speak of a look see.. but still interested in knowing what the other one was as well..lol.. loke trying to remember the name of a song. its on the tip of your tounge but you just cant say it..lol..

I have the Estwing "fireside friend" which is a great splitting tool for small stuff and also have a Stihl "splitting hatchet" which I like better as it has a better balance. You can look them up online.

Steve

I have the Estwing "fireside friend" which is a great splitting tool for small stuff and also have a Stihl "splitting hatchet" which I like better as it has a better balance. You can look them up online.

Steve

yeah thats the one.. thanks..but I will check out the stihl as well..just saw where the estwing had alot of good reviews about it on here while back and was gonna get one once I got back to work.. well im working now 6 and probablly 7 days a week before to long and not a minute to soon for christmas is coming and bills were almost behind...but now things are looking up for me and im greatful for it thats for sure..long story short a 3 month layoff turned into business going under and had to find a totally new job.. but landed one thats been around since 1966 and still going strong and they are more than happy with my work I do for them so I feel good about my job security there..

@ Saxman wich of the estwing models are better the one with the blue tinted steel or the one with the bare steel look to it.. and I can get the stihl axe less than 5 miles from my house but its 63 dollars plus tax and then how sturdy is the wood handle.. I know its only for kindling but I still like a good sturdy wood handle when I get a axe of any kind..I found two different models of the estwing on amazon the blue tint one which is 37.00 to 45 dollars plus shipping costs and the regular steel one is 42.60 with free shipping.. is there a difference there in quality or are they the same just different colors because they do have different model numbers..just wondering.. thanks..

Estwing

I've had that blue Estwing for a few years. It is handy for small stuff,& camping but I don't like the balance. A traditional short handle camp axe has better feel.
Weigh it carefully before springing for it.

I wouldn't know a good kindling ax from a bad one. I bought a real nice Plumb hatchet at an auction for $2 this summer and I just can't seem to replace my old trappers hatchet I've used for years. I can't see spending that much on kindling.

I've got 2 saws that I cut with that I got less than $40 in.

Latest posts

Back