Smallest saw for an Alaskan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to (and will) have a some sort of a sawmill. I am a woodworker and want to saw my own lumber. I would however be happy just to saw a 12-16" log into boards. We do a craft thing called INTARSIA, and I can use small and short boards. I would probably only be sawing short logs, 4 foot or something because I am not going to buy equipment to handle real logs.

I think that I can handle 4 foot logs by hand. (with friend, cant hooks etc).

So, I was thinking of using my brand new ms260, but I do not want to ruin it.

I would like to have a bigger used saw, or the smallest new saw that I can get by with,

What do I do?, get an old Mac 10/10 , cheap poulan pro 60cc, or will I have to get a real saw? I thought a 361 might do it, but I really do not think that I should spend that kind of money.

Your opinions are appreciated.

thanks!

How much are you going to really mill Dameon? SAP did get away with a little milling with the 455, not my choice by any means, but it did work. If you are serious about it and want to do a lot, from what I have heard with what you want to do, a 440/7900/372ish size is about as small as you might want.
The Doc told me the 046 would probably be good in 20" and that is about it, I think I will listen to the builder:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Remember that I am talking about very small logs. I will post some of the work that we do as soon as I can find it.

I was thinking about 12" logs about 4 foot long.

Yes, you are correct, as soon as I do that I will want to do a bigger log.

I guess I'll have to find a big saw. I just thougth that I would try a little log first and see how I liked doing it.

What would be a good used saw model?

Super Wiz 66...77cc of gear drive baby!! But only about 6000 rpm... I think a gear drive saw would do you good - just slow.

I'd much sooner use a Stihl 390 than a Husky 455... maybe a returned 390 w/ some factory blemishes...:hmm3grin2orange:

Or you could get a fried 066 and have Lake or Thall resurrect it...like the one in my sig :cheers:

Chaser

Any comments on the super wiz? Have you used them? I've got a super wiz 66 w/24" bar that I got for free, that I plan on milling with. No spark, but mine is in very good shape. I've got it half apart right now; I've got to gap the points.

sawinredneck said:
The Doc told me the 046 would probably be good in 20" and that is about it

I didn't say it wouldn't do more, but I wouldn't push it. I know that milling is very taxing and it would in fact mill bigger, but I wouldn't be bolting that 36" on a mill with the bar buried every day.

I would feel comfortable going up to 24" or so on it, not something I would do every day, but it would get the job done. If you want a saw to be run on a mill all the time, buy a bigger saw that is built to handle the tasking demands of hardwood milling. just set it on the rich side and use more oil than 50:1. 32:1 is a good mix for milling. If you do mill any decent sized wood with it, I would add the H.O oiler upgrade to it. milling seems to suck up the oil rather quick.

Soft wood and hard wood are two differant animals when it comes to mills and wear and tear on saws.

I have issues with putting a sub 70cc saw on a mill. That is just me, I look more into things than most people do. Anyone that bolts a mill on a 55cc saw is an idiot IMO.

I've milled a few red oak logs 18"-20" diameter and 5-10 feet long with a Poulan 3750. It is not fast, but it will gitter done. Have to fill with gas and oil and sharpen the chain after each board at 18" X 10'. Hard work!

wagonwheeler said:
I'd much sooner use a Stihl 390 than a Husky 455... maybe a returned 390 w/ some factory blemishes...:hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

What's this???? BRAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freakingstang said:
I didn't say it wouldn't do more, but I wouldn't push it. I know that milling is very taxing and it would in fact mill bigger, but I wouldn't be bolting that 36" on a mill with the bar buried every day.

I would feel comfortable going up to 24" or so on it, not something I would do every day, but it would get the job done. If you want a saw to be run on a mill all the time, buy a bigger saw that is built to handle the tasking demands of hardwood milling. just set it on the rich side and use more oil than 50:1. 32:1 is a good mix for milling. If you do mill any decent sized wood with it, I would add the H.O oiler upgrade to it. milling seems to suck up the oil rather quick.

Soft wood and hard wood are two differant animals when it comes to mills and wear and tear on saws.

QUOTE]

Sorry Doc., didn't mean to get you firedup!!! And certainly didn't mean to offened you're building skills. Yes, I know it "would do more", but it's like everything else I have done with it, leaving it a little rich etc., I LIKE IT AND DON'T WANT TO BLOW IT UP:rock: And you said 20-24" pretty easily, and therfore, 20-24" it shall be!!! Expecially since it will be Oak if it ever goes in. Did I meantion I REALLY LIKE IT AND DON'T WANT TO BLOW IT UP?:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
BTW, I like it a lot:rock: and am thinking of the bigger oiler anyway:)
Andy

Nice work! I think an old gear drive is totally appropriate for that kind of effort. It'll add to the story all the more. Like you said, you're only milling 4' or so of length. But I'm not milling yet, so you should probably disregard...

Chaser

I do have the old Mall, I could send her up and you get it running and see if you like milling, then send her back after you find something else:jester:
Andy

sawinredneck said:
BTW, I like it a lot:rock:

Glad to hear. Now do you see why I want one for myself? lol. It was a really good running saw. The one I have to replace it has been beat on hard. It won't win any beauty contests, but she'll run good.

I just hate cutting these small logs up into firewood when some of them would make pretty intarsia projects.

I have actually taken some firewood length stuff and ripped it with a chainsaw and ran it through the planer.

The trick to intarsia is to have many different "colors" to work with and sometimes that means using stuff that would not be considered good lumber.

One of my favorite woods is catalpa and you cannot buy it because most people won't bother sawing it.

Freakingstang said:
Glad to hear. Now do you see why I want one for myself? lol. It was a really good running saw. The one I have to replace it has been beat on hard. It won't win any beauty contests, but she'll run good.

Oh I can see alright!!! I really wish I could find someone around here with either a stock or D/P cover 066 so we could run them side by side just to see how bad it really is.
I have no doubt the next on will be just as good!
Andy

daemon2525 said:
I just hate cutting these small logs up into firewood when some of them would make pretty intarsia projects.

I have actually taken some firewood length stuff and ripped it with a chainsaw and ran it through the planer.

The trick to intarsia is to have many different "colors" to work with and sometimes that means using stuff that would not be considered good lumber.

One of my favorite woods is catalpa and you cannot buy it because most people won't bother sawing it.

How much do you want? Figure out how to get it there and it's you'res, it all over around here!!
Andy

20 inch Maple or Doug fir maxes out my 066 DP etc etc... There's no subsitute for raw power.. and lesser saws just have to work harder... By the time you've detuned the saw for miling, you'll only get 80% anyhow..

12-16inch - a 460 would be fine. Above that? - as much of saw as you can afford.

Lakeside53 said:
20 inch Maple or Doug fir maxes out my 066 DP etc etc... There's no subsitute for raw power.. and lesser saws just have to work harder... By the time you've detuned the saw for miling, you'll only get 80% anyhow..

12-16inch - a 460 would be fine. Above that? - as much of saw as you can afford.

BUT ANDY............. It's not just any 046:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lakeside53 said:

BUT ANDY............. It's not just any 046:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Back