Smallest saw for an Alaskan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
20 inch Maple or Doug fir maxes out my 066 DP etc etc... There's no subsitute for raw power.. and lesser saws just have to work harder... By the time you've detuned the saw for miling, you'll only get 80% anyhow..

12-16inch - a 460 would be fine. Above that? - as much of saw as you can afford.

BUT ANDY............. It's not just any 046:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Is it possible to mill with chipper chain? How slow is milling with a gear drive saw?

BTW, for a big saw, ask around. I called a local Jonsered dealership, and kind of know the owner, and he gave me the super wiz. My local STIHL dealership sells parts saws very cheap; a pretty good shape 039 for $25.

For your purpose I would sat skip the chainsaw mill altogether. I would imagine that you have a good sized bandsaw in your work shop. Make up some tall fences, build or buy some roller supports, put a 3/4 -1" band on there with a low tooth count and rip the stuff out in the workshop.

Lakeside53 said:
Na... we know you're just kidding... I bet you are stock all the way to the bank.

I hope not, if it is I am going to have to make a road trip a little ways north EH!!

daemon2525 said:
Yes, I know they are bigger than the screen, sorry.

I won't link them in the post.

Very nice work! They look great!

He is right, A bandsaw will work just fine for smaller stuff

Husky137 said:
For your purpose I would sat skip the chainsaw mill altogether. I would imagine that you have a good sized bandsaw in your work shop. Make up some tall fences, build or buy some roller supports, put a 3/4 -1" band on there with a low tooth count and rip the stuff out in the workshop.

A decent bandsaw will work fine for shorter/smaller logs , I just made a carrier out of 2x8 and a pipe clamp. This will give you the first cut so that you can then use a tall fence for the other cuts.

Also Seehttp://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=410402&postcount=21

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have never put my 260 on my alaskan mill as I have the 660 but I would imagine it would work for a limited number of cuts but be very slow and hard on the saw.

Husky137 said:
I too use my bandsaw for small logs, but I built an outfeed table for mine and find I can do it freehand w/o a carraige pretty well. A carraige like mike has would definitely make things more accurate for you though. Couple thing to keep in mind if you do this. For anything over 6 inches, you will need a powerful bandsaw, in the 220V 2HP range. Also, a wide blade like a 3/4 inch works better than thinner ones. Also the blades tend to gum up on some wood, then start to wander a bit and bog down, like say an 11 inch chunk of apple.

My 2 cents on minimum saw for a csm, I have milled 24" wide oak with my 60cc 365 before I got my 395XP... sure it worked, but the saw was pouring its heart out, and it went REAL slow. Only did that a few times. For SMALL logs, under 12" dia, a 60cc saw will work fine if you're not going to be milling every day. Bigger stuff, get a bigger saw. Using and MS260 for milling would be like putting a lawnmower engine in a truck. I wouldn't

Small Milling

Daemon,

I have used my 044 on occasion for 16" and smaller stuff. It does a reasonable job. When I quarter larger logs, I am often left with 12-14" cuts. The 064 died one day and I threw the 044 on the mill with a 20" bar and it did fine. There are a MILLION 044's out there on the used market and you can find one pretty reasonable. Try to find one with the larger 12mm wrist pin. (Past a certain S/N) They also have cheap rebuild parts available, so it is not a problem to rebuild one or find replacement parts. On the smaller end, that would be my choice.

Thanks guys!!

I can see now that I was totally wrong. I thought that since I can rip some of my firewood down the middle with my 260, that I might mill very small logs with it. I ripped several firewood logs the other day so that I could lift them in the truck.

I will look for a much larger saw. I am afraid , however that I will not be able to find anything withing my budget. I had to work pretty hard (wifey) to get the brand new 260. I may give up the idea.

thanks!

Forgot to add, I do have a bandsaw, but it is too small also, I have the standard size 14" import.

daemon2525 said:
I will look for a much larger saw. I am afraid , however that I will not be able to find anything withing my budget. I had to work pretty hard (wifey) to get the brand new 260. I may give up the idea.

Don't give up on the idea. You'll just keep a lookout for a good deal on a used saw. Tkemble rebuilds/reassembles and sells used big saws for a fair price. My 066, which I got from caseyforrest, came from him and didn't cost very much at all, and it was pretty much ready-to-mill when it arrived.

Keep on lookin!

computeruser said:
Don't give up on the idea. You'll just keep a lookout for a good deal on a used saw. Tkemble rebuilds/reassembles and sells used big saws for a fair price. My 066, which I got from caseyforrest, came from him and didn't cost very much at all, and it was pretty much ready-to-mill when it arrived.

Keep on lookin!

Yes, I got a very useable 066R from Tkemble for $250. I spent all day at his place, and literally tore the saw down and put it back together. The deals are out there, just need to be patient.

I knew better, but i stopped by the pawn shop on the way home from work because I have always wanted to anyway.

No deals, but I laughed at myself for a change!!! They had a stihl 056ave magnum. I couldn't hardly even pick it up!!! LOL!!!

acresinternet had no weight for it. Is the 066 that heavy?

They wanted 399$ which I thought was a little high.

daemon2525 said:
I knew better, but i stopped by the pawn shop on the way home from work because I have always wanted to anyway.

No deals, but I laughed at myself for a change!!! They had a stihl 056ave magnum. I couldn't hardly even pick it up!!! LOL!!!

acresinternet had no weight for it. Is the 066 that heavy?

They wanted 399$ which I thought was a little high.

No harm in checking out the pawn shop. Who knows what you'll find there, you might happen upon a heck of a deal - sometimes they screw up and don't know what they've got. $399 seems a bit high unless it's a low miles, super-clean saw...which is rarely the case with the saws at the pawn shops I've been to.

No doubt the old saws are heavy. But it's no wonder, they're all metal and physically a LOT bigger than the newer stuff. And no, the 066 is NOT that heavy, but it certainly isn't an 026! It might be interesting at our next GTG to get an accurate scale and do some weights of the different saw/bar setups.

For the sake of amusement, a physical size comparison shot: Dolmar 7900, Stihl 066, 075:

GTG_Saws_2.jpg

EDIT: 056 alongside 075. Had 'em side-by-side at the MI GTG and the 056 with a 36" bar was a LOT lighter than the 075 with a 24.

October_GTG_19Small.jpg

October_GTG_20Small.jpg

October_GTG_43Small.jpg

Last edited:
056 isn't that heavy of a saw, is it? I'd love an 056 Mag II, but I couldn't afford one (past $100 is too much for me, that's why all my saws came from parts saws). How much heavier could an 056 be than an 041? I bet it isn't heavier than the super wiz 66!! 22 lbs, powerhead along, dry. Not including gear oil. :D How much would the 24" bar and chain weigh?

Back