Snowmobiles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:jawdrop: Those things are fast, only sleds faster are Thundercat 1000's, Mach Z 1000's, and most heavily modded 700/800's. Did you put any performance goodies on it? SLP has a few good parts for that beast. I will say, I don't like Artic Cat for their hard starting (common with most, if not all of their sleds) Is your ZR hard to start? I.E. literally takes ten minutes to start, the Jag 440 I had was a ##### to start.

Have you heard of the new Z1 with the turbo? Almost 200 HP from the factory!!!!

My sled is bone stock other than a 1 1/4 predator track and 120 piks. It is pretty fast, but darn quick. The stock gearing will only let it go about 120mph but it will usually get there in about 1000 feet on a good packed trail.

As far as the starting aspect mine is a EFI and it has never taken more than 2 pulls to start since new.

My sled is bone stock other than a 1 1/4 predator track and 120 piks. It is pretty fast, but darn quick. The stock gearing will only let it go about 120mph but it will usually get there in about 1000 feet on a good packed trail.

As far as the starting aspect mine is a EFI and it has never taken more than 2 pulls to start since new.

EFI is nice that way. :) Are you brand-loyal, or do you like any reliable, easy to start sled like me? :) Trust me, if you had the Jag 440 I used to have, you would sell it faster than you thought you would. ##### to start, slow 55mph max speed, and just a pain in the ass. :laugh: It did have a Suzuki engine... which is good on street motorcyles and dirtbikes, but not for cold weather duty on a snowmobile IMO.

I think almost all Cats use Suzuki engines. I am not brand loyal, all companies make some good sleds. My sled before this one was a 99 Polaris Indy 500 Classic and it treated me well for about 5000 miles before I traded it in on my 900.

I think almost all Cats use Suzuki engines. I am not brand loyal, all companies make some good sleds. My sled before this one was a 99 Polaris Indy 500 Classic and it treated me well for about 5000 miles before I traded it in on my 900.

That's the way I think too. Every company has good and bad products, it's one of those things that is nearly impossible to avoid. For example, the 1980's Lamborghini Countach is quite a bit more reliable than the new Murcielago and Gallardo. Suprisingly more reliable actually. I never really liked the new lambos anyway. Same thing with trucks. My 1997 Chevrolet Suburban, IMO, is much more reliable than the new Suburban. In fact, when I was taking automotive repair classes as an elective in high school, a brand new 2007 Suburban with 18,000 or so miles on it had a bad rear parking sensor. 700 bucks to replace. :eek: Hell, that would cover more than half the cost of rebuilding the trans in my Burb.

I thought about putting pipes on it when I bought it, but read that it cut the fuel mileage in half. I don't race the viper, its just a trail machine... If I want to beat somebody across the lake, I just use the Polaris.. :)

Wow, I didn't think fuel milage would drop that much... :dizzy: by all means, don't buy them pipes... just use the Polaris then, it's plenty fast. :) Good thing you did the research, or you might've ended up with an empty tank in the middle of nowhere.

Wow, I didn't think fuel milage would drop that much... :dizzy: by all means, don't buy them pipes... just use the Polaris then, it's plenty fast. :) Good thing you did the research, or you might've ended up with an empty tank in the middle of nowhere.

I'll try to get some pics of the sleds today. I went riding with my brother last night... He ran out of gas in my driveway as we got back...

I'll try to get some pics of the sleds today. I went riding with my brother last night... He ran out of gas in my driveway as we got back...

lol, good thing you guys were in your driveway... I got to post pics of my sleds too. Formula Z 583 ran perfect last season, also had a tune-up done, but when I took it out yesterday, it gave me #### about running. I got her started, let her warm up, then started riding, which I got about 150 feet before she stopped moving and slowly idled down and died. Went through that three times before I changed the plugs, which it still did it a fourth time. Ended up walking about 3/4 of a mile back to my barn, getting the MXZ 440 out, which it did fine, and rode that a little, then went to the 583 and towed it home. :angry: I dunno wtf is wrong with my Formula Z, especially since it got serviced at the beginning of last season. :bang: I also noticed it was "idling" at 4000 rpm! wth?!?

Check the intake boots.... between the carbs and the engine... make sure they aren't cracked, and make sure you don't have water in the gas...

Okay, will look into those today. Thanks for the advice. :) If there is water in the gas, do you drain the tank, or add some kind of additive that gets rid of the water?

P.S. I do put sta-bil in the gas, and fill the tanks up before storing them for the off-season.

It depends on how much water is in it... the easier way is to pull the carbs and check for ice...

Oh boy, it's quite tight in there... either way, the carbs/intake boots/airbox gotta be pulled... :bang: Anyone ever use a hair dryer to heat the carbs and fuel lines up? or is that a bad idea. :confused: I wonder if it would work.

Well I got the 440 back together and was suprised that it ran. LOL Just the first time working on a sled motor. RUns pretty good now. But, I had enough of snowmobiles . Kind of got my eye on a AR so I am thinking of putting the sled up for sale. Atleast I can shoot the AR year around.
Bob

Well I got the 440 back together and was suprised that it ran. LOL Just the first time working on a sled motor. RUns pretty good now. But, I had enough of snowmobiles . Kind of got my eye on a AR so I am thinking of putting the sled up for sale. Atleast I can shoot the AR year around.
Bob

Nothing wrong with that idea. Also consider a cetme or a fal. .308 hits harder ya know. :)

Nothing wrong with that idea. Also consider a cetme or a fal. .308 hits harder ya know. :)

Never gave them much thought. I have a 760 carbine in .308 for hunint right now. Just want a fast light yote gun. Plus maybe might get back into poodle shootin out west. The ruger varmiter is fun. But, a guy can use a change once in a while.
Bob

Never gave them much thought. I have a 760 carbine in .308 for hunint right now. Just want a fast light yote gun. Plus maybe might get back into poodle shootin out west. The ruger varmiter is fun. But, a guy can use a change once in a while.
Bob

I suggest finding someone in the area that has built their own AR, so you can ask them for some help building it, and customize it to what you need/want, and you can save some dough. Not to mention, it is almost untraceable.

I suggest finding someone in the area that has built their own AR, so you can ask them for some help building it, and customize it to what you need/want, and you can save some dough. Not to mention, it is almost untraceable.

Yeah I got a good buddy that builds them. His shop also makes barrels. Would love to afford a barrel from there. Found a good one like new on a local board for sale for 700. Only thing I do not care for is the fact its only got a 16 barrel. But, then again I am thinking down the road a upper in 30 ar or another deer round is going on it any how.
Bob

Yeah I got a good buddy that builds them. His shop also makes barrels. Would love to afford a barrel from there. Found a good one like new on a local board for sale for 700. Only thing I do not care for is the fact its only got a 16 barrel. But, then again I am thinking down the road a upper in 30 ar or another deer round is going on it any how.
Bob

Then you're set. :) Also consider the .50 beowulf conversion. :D That's some bang. :)

I have:
2009 Skidoo MXZ800R
2003 Skidoo MXZ600
1998 Polaris XLT Touring
1998 Polaris 440 Sport
1997 Polaris 488 Trail

.... and not much room left in the garage.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back