so, honestly, how'd i do? (new to me saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Yeah, that link worked. Did you get any specs before purchase? Compression, etc.

If it runs like it should, you stole that one, and you will be very happy with that purchase for years to come.

Congrats!

Honestly, there is no way to tell based from the single low res pic and short description. It could be like new mechanically, it could be about done. I would plan on a through cleaning and inspection when it arrives. That way you know what you've got and can trust it.

Honestly, there is no way to tell based from the single low res pic and short description. It could be like new mechanically, it could be about done. I would plan on a through cleaning and inspection when it arrives. That way you know what you've got and can trust it.

+1 :agree2:

just spoke with the guy on the phone, and he basically said to give it a once over when it gets here and if anything isn't right, he will take it back. i asked him about the compression and he said they didn't do one on it, but it starts and runs great. he sold the saw to the previous owner, did all maintenance to it, and got it back in last week as trade.

i will be cleaning it all out and giving it a compression test, if that checks out, i'm gonna run it! can't wait, i'll get some pics and maybe a vid up once it comes in!

also, how does one go about cleaning up the plastics to get them back to that new husky color?

also, how does one go about cleaning up the plastics to get them back to that new husky color?

If stripped down to just plastic, a lot of guys use the dishwasher to clean parts. I've never tried it, myself. I usually just use a good, safe, degreaser and rags. Simple Green and Spray Nine usually work pretty well.

just got the saw in at 6:00pm. waiting in the driveway with the dog for mr. brown to show up since i got home from work!!

it seems in decent shape, not a brand new saw, but the p & c look clean, no scoring, can even see some hone marks (how long do they remain on the walls after a rebuild?) didn't do a compression check yet, no tester.:confused:

fired it up and it runs good, kinda rough idle, and hesitated a little on throttle stabs. i am gonna pull the carb off and check it out, then replace the fuel line and filter, and run it! seems the low needle might need to be leaned out a little. what do i do about the tabs on the low and high needle that limit my tuning?

definitely dirty!! some pics....
IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

what is this baffle on the muffler? seems to be restricting it a litle, can i take that out, or bend it over the srew?

IMG_0918.jpg

case cracked here where the inner dog would screw into.

IMG_0914.jpg

my guess is that it was a loggers saw. The cylinder was probably rehoned and a new piston was installed. Run it for a little while and listen to make sure the bearings are good. A saw that dirty has seen some heavy use, but that does not mean it is a bad saw by any means. Good luck!

my guess is that it was a loggers saw. The cylinder was probably rehoned and a new piston was installed. Run it for a little while and listen to make sure the bearings are good. A saw that dirty has seen some heavy use, but that does not mean it is a bad saw by any means. Good luck!

Some of my daily runners look worse!(firewood saws)
It will be amazing, how nice it will clean up!
If it runs strong you will have a beast!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Doesnt look all that bad. Just a little dirty.

I love the 394/395s

Make sure not to over tighten the muffler bolts. Some of the heads have cracked where the stud slides into.

:jawdrop: Did the seller inform you about that before you bought it?

nope, and i wish i knew, but i don't think it affects anything. i am going to contact the seller and see if he knew about it, but i already know the answer.

i'm almost done cleaning it up, might run it through some wood a little later.

how do i get the carb off? i can't get anything in there to loosen the allen screws that hold it on.

Use a long reach allen key, there is a hole and a notch around the rear handle that will allow you to access the carb bolts. I just completed my 7 th porting and complete rebuilds on the 394 XP`s and I can tell you are going to love that saw, especially ported.

Pioneerguy600

you may have to drill one of the holes so that you can slip the allen wrench through beside the handle. there should be a blank there to open up. it is a very simple saw to work on.

Latest posts

Back