So I built another splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Man!!!!!! That's some really impressive fab work. You got the skill for sure. I also enjoy designing and building my own stuff. I haven't done a splitter yet but will some day. Fast is what I want so a big engine and pump will be needed. My chainsaw dyno was my last project. Next is a hog roaster then probably a super splitter.

I really enjoyed your chainsaw Dyno build that was cool man!!!

A man is only limited by his imagination.

This splitter is on my way home from work and let me tell you personally it is top shelf !!

Thanks for all the great comments guys. Hope I will get some use out of it in the next few weeks and post back that it actually splits wood... Here are a few updates that I have done.

ruteve6a.jpg

Log lift support for transport and storage. On the bolted end there are derlin washers used to eliminate and noise from vibration. I hate vibration noise!

eby2upar.jpg

Updated log back stop.

e2uduman.jpg

Exhaust turndown/deflector. Just a 90 degree copper elbow silver soldered to a exhaust flange I hacked together out of a scrap piece of 14ga.

Hey Bud, have you had a chance to use the new splitter yet?
I know its too hot to be thinking about doin much with firewood here lately, but just wondering.Welding in this heat isnt much fun is it?

Ron

Hey Bud, have you had a chance to use the new splitter yet?
I know its too hot to be thinking about doin much with firewood here lately, but just wondering.Welding in this heat isnt much fun is it?

Ron

Split one round with it, that's it. I was considering this weekend maybe but probably not going to happen.. I'm sure you know all to well how terrible it is in a welding shop right now. I have an old school thermometer and since Monday it has pegged it out every day, goes up to 120..

Split one round with it, that's it. I was considering this weekend maybe but probably not going to happen.. I'm sure you know all to well how terrible it is in a welding shop right now. I have an old school thermometer and since Monday it has pegged it out every day, goes up to 120..

Holy smoke!! I'd heard there was a heat wave in the Midwest, but hadn't realized it was that bad. That weather is not fit for man nor beast. Stay cool and drink lots of um....liquids. Nice splitter!!

IA Weather Alert - weather.com

Sweet work on the splitter. Would love to have one that nice (mine looks remarkably like an Axe). Oh and Robert is by far the best name you could have given your child, congrats.

Used the splitter for the first time today, it was a learning experience for sure. I used it for about 3 hours today and I still grab the wrong lever here and there. The paint used to look good but that's to be expected. Log lift and work table are awesome in my book. I would 4 way split the the 20-24"oak rounds then put 3 of the pieces on the lift abs lower them out of the way, 4 way split the 4th then keep feeding the other pieces through. For my wood stove 10-12" rounds split 4way is the perfect size. If a guy could strictly that size a guy could get a whole lot done in a very short time. At one time u put 12 pieces on the log lift, no pieces smaller then 8" and was really nice not having to move around a lot to feel the splitter. Splitter has plenty of power so far, I've 4way split the 14" red elm with ease. Temp today was 88 degrees and the highest the oil temp was 125-130. Over all I'm pretty happy for how little I have used it. Here are a few pictures.

ydu5atu8.jpg

The pile before
umesymuz.jpg

Midway
y5umehaj.jpg

Midway
a5yre6a6.jpg

Finished
zypa7yre.jpg

amugeqa7.jpg

The splitter is back there I swear!

Looks like it worked very well. I really like the log lift and table, it saves a lot of extra bending over and saves time, too.
The oil stayed plenty cool--how big is the reservoir (tank). I think the maiden voyage went well!!!!!:clap:

Ron

Looks like it worked very well. I really like the log lift and table, it saves a lot of extra bending over and saves time, too.
The oil stayed plenty cool--how big is the reservoir (tank). I think the maiden voyage went well!!!!!:clap:

Ron

The whole hydro system has just over 15 gallons. I just wish I had more room to split. Pile got awfully big in no time! Splitting went really quick when I had my brother feeding the log lift. I assume he thinks if he helps he will be able to barrow it when he starts on his wood supply..

Latest posts

Back