So i finally got to use a 441c and a 461 for the first time today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Natey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I finally got to use these saws today, im a husky man, but I will give credit where credit is due.

honestly, I did not like the 441c at all. It looked weird, and had a super soft AV that felt kind of flimsy. The on/off choke lever was strange as well. It did live up to the 440 series in the actual wood cutting process, it just felt cheap. (compared to the 440 and 044)

The 461 on the other hand almost converted me to a stihl man (not really). Extremely well balanced with a 28 inch bar and it probably surpassed the 460s I have run in the power department. Didn't feel flimsy like the 441.

These saws were brand new. I did notice the 441c was a little cranky from cold start, but the 461 fired in the traditional stihl way.

Cliffs: 461, possibly my favorite new stihl.
441c, lets just say id rather have a 440.

just my opinion.

The 461 is considerably stronger than a stock 460. It is on my short list of must have saw.

If the 441c didn't crank at least on 2nd pull and run like a dog on fire something was indeed wrong with it. As far as the antivibration goes if u cut any length of time your hands and arms would love it

The mtronics is virtually maintenance free and runs at optimum all the time. You can leave the little orange screwdriver at home and go cut

As far as the antivibration goes if u cut any length of time your hands and arms would love it

Ive run many saws, old and new alike. never have I noticed a lessen in fatigue due to anti vibe. the only saw I ever run that viborated to the point it was unusable was a poulan wood shark.

Also, saw weight dosent bother me either. I run my 372 with a 28 inch bar for limbing. dead serious.

Had it been a day with a Stihl MS660 and you would have been painting your house orange..LOL

I ran a 660 for about a year. It was a tourqey and very well made saw, but it was not overly impressive.

I would take a 395xp over a ms660.

On the other hand, I would take a 461 over a 372.

Big Natety you dont think the Stihls new av doesnt run smoother than a saw without it? I think its a big difference

my stihl mech. ran my ported 461 yesterday, he plunged tip of bar in 34 inch log wot and it buried without even changing rpm . he looked up with a big grin and said i could have fun cutting with this one.as for the 441 i agree with previous post that you would notice a distinct difference in fatigue factor after a few hours. just ask some of the old loggers and pulp wooders i drink coffee with that has to hold the coffee cup with both hands because of tremble from running the old anvils with bars and chains!:chainsaw:

Big Natety you dont think the Stihls new av doesnt run smoother than a saw without it? I think its a big difference
It might be a big difference, just not something I pay much attention to. I only ran the 441c for a couple hours, after I got my hands on the 461 I didn't put it down.

I don't really pay attention to weight and anti-vibe of saws. It might be because im big, young, dumb, and invincible.

It might be a big difference, just not something I pay much attention to. I only ran the 441c for a couple hours, after I got my hands on the 461 I didn't put it down.

I don't really pay attention to weight and anti-vibe of saws. It might be because im big, young, dumb, and invincible.

Big Natey, I don't know about the big and dumb part, but you are young. I have a non-AV 70cc McCulloch that I have owned since new (over 30 years). When I was young I thought nothing of the lack of AV and in fact preferred the solid feel over the Euro AV saws of the time, but now I can barely run a tank through it before my left hand goes numb. It sits in the rack now and only occasionally gets runs just due to my sentiment for the old saw. One day I hope to have either a 461 or a 441 Mtronic. Ron

Back