So........ I just accidentally bought a saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I don't know how this stuff happens to me. Obviously I'll be paying for it, but I was not being facetious when I said was mechanically retarded. I was playing with a new app that I wasn't intending to use for a saw, but apparently I subconsciously wanted to. I am so not pleased with myself right now.

Well i'll ask the obvious question. What kind of saw is it? Make, model, pictures?

Or maybe even more obvious. How do you accidentally buy a saw?

Congratulations pending.

Exactly Jacob. I mean this is my first time, but I can totally sympathize with your cousin except she will make many where I am spending it.

I entered a bid amount and everything, but I also hit the delete button. I'm not without fault, but this wasn't what I was trying to do tonight. I deserve any and all abuse I get, now I just need to make the best of it.

Looks like a nice saw. Pretty good price on it too. I'd call 135 psi lowend on an 026. Mine blows 175 stock. May need a ring job soon. Check the cylinderas soon as you get it. May be scored.

Pull the muffler and look inside as soon as you get it. Look for scoring marks on the piston. If it is scored then you may have reason for a return.

Last edited:
I entered a bid amount and everything, but I also hit the delete button. I'm not without fault, but this wasn't what I was trying to do tonight. I deserve any and all abuse I get, now I just need to make the best of it.

Looks like a nice clean 026. If the thing runs as good as it looks, you did OK!!

I have done much worse..but not on accident. My accidents usually involve stitches and another lecture from the Doc.

Best part is no stinkin' flippy caps to pee down your leg.:rock:

10 bucks says you're gonna be hooked and infected with CAD, before you're done with this segway into dangerous power tools.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I actually took note of the compression thinking it was low. I got the app because I keep getting beaten on safety razors. I figure I'm safe, and then someone wrecks me with 5 seconds left.

Looks like a nice saw. Pretty good price on it too. I'd call 135 psi lowend on an 026. Mine blows 175 stock. May need a ring job soon. Check the cylinderas soon as you get it. May be scored.

Pull the muffler and look inside as soon as you get it. Look for scoring marks on the piston. If it is scored then you may have reason for a return.

Yep, and what worries me is that saw looks very clean for its age. Either the compression reading wasn't done correctly or I would suspect there are issues with the piston/cylinder. It could also have been rebuilt with an aftermarket top-end and that compression is never going to be any higher.

OP, I don't know what app you have for your ph, but Auction Sniper works very well and is easy to use (but you won't have the excuse that you "accidentally" bought a saw!).

If it hadn't happened to me I wouldn't believe it either, and if I heard the story at work I really wouldn't believe it.

It's probably gonna slow my plans for a better saw that I actually want but I think I'll probably try and turn it and recoup my as much of my money as I can.

Samuel Adams cherry wheat is getting the blame. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If the saw is in good running condition, you did ok. Not a "you suck" deal but the 026 is highly regarded by many (including me).

If the piston and cylinder look good, it is gonna be a good saw for ya. It's a pro grade saw and very easy to work on.

Next time you "accidentally" buy a saw, make sure it's the one you're been dreaming about. lol

Sounds like the piston needs new rings, at least. Leaving the lower one out may be a good idea though.

I did that the other day.

Nothing so exotic, no fancy programs, totally 100% idiot operator.

Put a $20 bid on a Mac 3200 power head. And won it.
$40 later and the post man dropped it off today. Another $60 worth of fuel line primer and a cheap bar/chain combo and I will have a $100 saw thats worth about $80.

Live and learn.

I did that the other day.

Nothing so exotic, no fancy programs, totally 100% idiot operator.

Put a $20 bid on a Mac 3200 power head. And won it.
$40 later and the post man dropped it off today. Another $60 worth of fuel line primerand a cheap bar/chain combo and I will have a $100 saw thats worth about $80.

Live and learn.

I'm ignorant--What's fuel line primer, & why is does it cost $60.00?

Gas hose, fuel line, that expensive tubing stuff. They want like $10 a foot for it.
Primer bulbs, they want $10 each for them.
If I go bulk off eBay I could get it a bit cheaper.

Fuel filter not sure what they are or if I will even need one, not many of them on eBay, Id say the local guy will want over $10 each for them as well.

Apparently its not engough of a saw to pull the 18" bar they came with std.
Ive seen 14" bar and chain combos for about the $40 mark.

So if it all works out, its a $100 saw.

My bad, should have used a comma.

I should have my saw by Monday. I've resolved to make it my moderately expensive repair training aid. IF I can fix whatever needs fixing it will be priceless to me.

Latest posts

Back