So I weighed my load of firewood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easy way

This set up unloads itself! Kstill361 NICE WORK! you make that pile very pleasing to the eye!!

Most people have no clue when they look at a 72" DBH red oak how much just the trunk of that puppy really weighs.

Good post, and I'm glad we have an ex-ford tech onboard here. I've got an '04 F150 Heritage 4.6L V8 extended cab, short bed and the factory towing package. I just bought it used a few weeks ago. Does the Ford factory towing pkg include HD tranny and engine coolers like the Dodge package does?

I've been eyeballing a set of those "Super Springs" for mine. I have a 5x8 single axle trailer with about 12" sides. A normal "good" load is bed and trailer stacked just over level with your typical hardwood, today it was cherry and black locust. No clue on weight. I looked up the spec on the truck and it says that it's rated for 1600lb payload and 6300lbs on a braked trailer (which mine isn't). I assume that is an either/or, not a both rating. It does squat mine noticeably, but I wouldn't consider it overloaded. I've definitely seen worse.

What says the Ford tech? How often should I change the tranny fluid with a once weekly load like that towed for say, 30 miles.

thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
Good post, and I'm glad we have an ex-ford tech onboard here. I've got an '04 F150 Heritage 4.6L V8 extended cab, short bed and the factory towing package. I just bought it used a few weeks ago. Does the Ford factory towing pkg include HD tranny and engine coolers like the Dodge package does?

I've been eyeballing a set of those "Super Springs" for mine. I have a 5x8 single axle trailer with about 12" sides. A normal "good" load is bed and trailer stacked just over level with your typical hardwood, today it was cherry and black locust. No clue on weight. I looked up the spec on the truck and it says that it's rated for 1600lb payload and 6300lbs on a braked trailer (which mine isn't). I assume that is an either/or, not a both rating. It does squat mine noticeably, but I wouldn't consider it overloaded. I've definitely seen worse.

What says the Ford tech? How often should I change the tranny fluid with a once weekly load like that towed for say, 30 miles.

thanks,
Ian

If I remember correctly they all had the same cooler. I think only the 5.4 had an aux. cooler on top of the unit in the radiator.

You've got a 4R70W trans in that. Make sure you lock it out of OD when towing. I would also stay away from force throttle downshifts when in OD, towing or not. That trans tends to pick up forward clutch a little faster than it releases the OD band. Over time it will glaze the band.

Change the fluid every 30k or so. Use a quality filter and I prefer the Motorcraft fluid. Mercon V only for that box. I used to always overfill the trans by 1/2 qt. when hot. No more than that though as having the fluid level too high can lead to aeration of the fluid.

If I remember correctly they all had the same cooler. I think only the 5.4 had an aux. cooler on top of the unit in the radiator.

Thanks... I think I'll look into supplemental tranny cooling then. This truck needs to last me a good long while.

Ian

Just look in front of the radiator. If it has a small cooler there then chase the lines and figure out what the are for....may be P/S.

It will be mounted low, near the bottom of the radiator.

the easy part is getting a trailer to move. the hard part is getting it to stop. around here it can get red tagged for not having the brakes connected and working.

the D.O.T. can and will stop you for inspection. if it doesn't pass inspection, it can be tagged "out of service" along with a fine. red tagged. very common.

the DOT stands for Dept of Transportation. it's a Federal authiority that patrols highways.

talk to anyone that drives for a living and i'm sure they'll tell you that they do exist in kentucky.

Oh, I know what the DOT is, I've just never heard of this red tagging for private trailers. I'm not doubting you in the slightest.

Ian

Latest posts

Back