So I went to my Stihl dealer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stocking thousands of $'s in parts for that one guy that comes in when the stars align properly just isn't good business practice. And yes, buying a reel of chain in each of the sizes in thousadns in itself when spinning loops just isn't that common anymore. By all means if you're making so much money that you can afford to stock parts that don't sell then by all means do so. Most shops can't and won't do that for a reason. If you need a fuel cap and they don't have it..... well then that's a different story.

I guess it has to do with the what sells and demand if it does not sell it going to go out of business or taking off the shelf, its like there was 200 makers of snowmobiles it was a big deal, gas stations sold them not any more,no more snow no demand, Mcculloch and Homelite got out of that snowmobile game, but if the saw makers bulids a saw to last forever no parts will be on demand but they should always carry gas caps if they don't walk out the door but if you want to order a wrap around handle for 044 if they try to talk you out of it that dealer is not for me.

One good thing about where I live, there are good Stihl and Husky service shops within a ten-minute drive, and two Dolmar shops (one of them is big) within ten miles of my house. Both the Stihl and Husky outfits have the big pro saws and everything else.

One good thing about where I live, there are good Stihl and Husky service shops within a ten-minute drive, and two Dolmar shops (one of them is big) within ten miles of my house. Both the Stihl and Husky outfits have the big pro saws and everything else.

Completely off topic but I know a good guy from Uxbridge. Nice area too! :rock:

We hardly stock any semi chisel anymore and the stuff we do keep collects a lot of dust. Everybody around here wants skip chisel because thats what their neighbour, BIL, uncle, etc.. the ex faller told them they should buy because thats all they ever used.

"That fast cuttin stuff" only cuts fast while its sharp. The RM stays sharp longer in the wood that I cut.

I confess to not knowing a lot about chain, so why is it that RM will stay sharp longer than RS. I usually have my chains made up of RS. Also where can I by a selection of connectors for different types of chain so that I can make some of my own from the dozens of old chains that I have. Thanks for any and all help. JR

There are seven Stihl dealers within 20 mi of my house and only one of them stocks any parts. Anytime I wanted a part for my Stihl, this one dealer always has it in stock.

The other six operate almost like the big box stores. They are either part of a hardware store, Kobota, or John Deere dealer.

These others take a couple weeks to adjust the needles or sharpen a chain and stock NO! parts. If there is anything wrong with your saw more than a filter or spark plug, they want you to buy a new chainsaw. They don't stock PRO saws at all. The service is either done at the main store in another town, or the guy that works on the Stihl items is a part time employee and comes in on Saturdays, after hours, or something?

Reminds me of how Stihl mostly operates around here, not very cool! :msp_rolleyes:

It seems like they always have someone that dont know s### working the counter. The guys that know stuff are in the back working on saws. But it is true with the smaller saws it wouldnt be worth paying them to fix it. their just being honest. How much use can you really expect out of something you pay a few hundred for. and their charging $60 plus an hour to fix em, plus parts. Get a new one!

I stock the stuff that breaks or wears out.

Fuel filters, air Filters, fuel lines, common carbs and coils, rewind parts, a/v buffers, sprockets, spark plugs, bars, chains

If you need a flywheel for a FS80R trimmer you'll have to wait a few days.

I confess to not knowing a lot about chain, so why is it that RM will stay sharp longer than RS. I usually have my chains made up of RS. Also where can I by a selection of connectors for different types of chain so that I can make some of my own from the dozens of old chains that I have. Thanks for any and all help. JR

The full chisel's cutting performance really diminishes when that point gets dinged, which is easy to do, especially in dirty wood, the rounded
cup of the semi-chisel cuts fast-longer.

As far as buying tiestraps to re-loop old chains, it depends on the brand, and contrary to some of
the guys that post here, they are not free, nor even cheap.

If you look at the profile of RM vs RS (semi vs full chisel) straight on you'll see that the chisel has a sharp corner, and semi is rounded. The sharp corner is apt to be knocked off pretty quickly. Semi-chisel is what is most often recommended for "dirty wood" and its ability to remain sharper for a longer period of time is the reason. "Dirty wood" doesn't always appear outwardly dirty. Logs that have been drug through the mud behind a skidder obviously are. Trees along dirt roads, fallen dead trees, and some particular kinds of wood are apt to have dust/dirt/abrasives in the bark or even in the wood. I've cut live black locust and seen sparks from my chain after I was through the bark!:dizzy:l

Does RS (Rapid Super) cut faster than RM? Yes, it does while its sharp. If I'm cutting firewood I prefer to be cutting rather than touching up my chain. RM also works very well on the Alaskan Mill for ripping, but RS leaves a much rougher finish.

If you have a chain spinner and breaker, you should be able to source tie straps from the same source as reels of chain. There are a couple of AS sponsors (thinking Bailey's) amongst other sources.

I had to make a road trip today, and was close to the place that sold me my 36" bar some years back. I'll not mention their name here in open forum, but will describe them as a full line Stihl dealer, partial Husqvarna dealer, and Woodmizer dealer at minimum. Anyway, I managed to get there before noon, and when I inquired about RM, there was no hesitation. 3/8 .050? Yes....How many drivers? 114....I'll have to make that for you. In a few minutes it was done and asked price....I'll have to check...$26.00 :msp_w00t: I said make another, and 2 loops of 72DL and 2 more of 64DL.

He asked where I was from and we started talking....they service saws, have most of the full line of new saws on the shelf, new bars, and all of the Stihl logo stuff. He seemed incredulous that my "local dealers" didn't stock, didn't service, and asked how THEY stay in business. I asked if I could buy a reel of RM and he hesitated...said it would be expensive. I couldn't buy it and spin my own loops for what he charged for the loops HE made.

I bought a jug of winter weight bar oil....for less $ than the other "dealers". I HAVE a GREAT dealer, but will have to make the drive or he WILL send stuff UPS. :msp_thumbsup:

ma gonna make a vote tat AS comes out wit their own saw. Being as though All the big saw dealers are going to cheaper #### and seeing as though we know that, we should. Make our own saw that's as good as the old stihls and huskys...2

We should go one step farther and make them as good as the old poulans! ;)

It sucks that the original dealer was that way. But sadly enough that is the way it is in alot of places. Like stated before, labor rates are so high that it is tough to work on anything and offer it at a good price to the customer. To clean a carb, to spin a loop, it really depends on the guy doing it. If they cant get good help and cant get guys that know what they are doing it would be hard for them to make a dollar on stuff like that. I am certainly not condoning these actions because it is BS. You just got to find a good dealer and use them and it sounds like you have done that.

:cheers:

Fish and 650 thanks for the info. I am sort of looking for a "kit" that has an assortment of tie straps and links and even cutters so that I can do some chain work myself. I have a great dealer, but his is a 40 mile round trip, and I'd just kind of like to do it myself. I have a breaker and spinner and have done a few, but I need more straps and links. JR

I had to make a road trip today, and was close to the place that sold me my 36" bar some years back. I'll not mention their name here in open forum, but will describe them as a full line Stihl dealer, partial Husqvarna dealer, and Woodmizer dealer at minimum. Anyway, I managed to get there before noon, and when I inquired about RM, there was no hesitation. 3/8 .050? Yes....How many drivers? 114....I'll have to make that for you. In a few minutes it was done and asked price....I'll have to check...$26.00 :msp_w00t: I said make another, and 2 loops of 72DL and 2 more of 64DL.

That's an awesome price on chain from a dealer! Mine charges .34 a dl!! $38.76 for that $26 loop you got. I may have to order from you...lol

Latest posts

Back